PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Kodak 2D 4x5" and 5x7": same rail size?

cyberjunkie
13-May-2011, 19:42
I have at home a nice Eastman Kodak View 2D 5x7", missing front and extension rails.
Bellows, back, and brass hardware are in nice conditions, so i have been looking for a while for a suitable "donor" camera, at an affordable price.
Today i found a 2D on the bay, without back, with almost square red bellows, and with back opening measuring 7x7".
I guess it's the 4x5" version.
Before deciding for a purchase, or against it, i must understand IF the same rail size is used by the two cameras. The 8x10" version is quite bigger, so the rails should be of bigger size as well, on the other hand the 4x5" and 5x7" versions are smaller, and they could even share the same rails, with the same rack pitch.

I am sure that many forum users have some experience with Eastman 2D cameras, and that some got involved in a restoration work, so i hope that somebody will give me the right answer.

cheers

CJ

Nathan Smith
13-May-2011, 19:48
I can't answer that question but I'd like to know the answer, and will extend it a bit further: is there a difference between the rails of the 5x7 vs 8x10?

Louis Pacilla
13-May-2011, 19:59
Yes. There is a difference in rail size on all Century / Kodak 2/2d cameras.

joselsgil
14-May-2011, 20:11
I was under the impression that the Kodak 2D cameras were not made in the 4X5 size. 5X7, 8X10 and the banquet back were offered. Then again, I could be wrong on this.

I have an 8X10 and one complete 5X7 and one parts donor or waiting or parts 5X7.
The 8X10 is larger and tracks are wider. The body parts are not interchangeable, perhaps some of the brass or metal hardware can be shared. Lens boards, bellows, backs, tracks and other parts are different sizes.

Funny thing is, the 5X7 is missing the 5X7 back and has a really rough looking 4X5 back. The only 5X7 back that I have is a reducing back for the 8X10.
One more item to note. The Kodak 5X7 back fits onto a B&J Rembrandt studio camera that I have. It would seem that some parts are interchangeable between different brands and camera makers.

cyberjunkie
15-May-2011, 06:08
I was under the impression that the Kodak 2D cameras were not made in the 4X5 size. 5X7, 8X10 and the banquet back were offered. Then again, I could be wrong on this.

I think you are right. It was just a guess... the vendor says that the aperture at the back (the back is missing) measures 7"x 7", so i thought that it would be a tight fit for a 5x7" back. Probably i was wrong, as the back is placed a few centimeters behind, and the light path is cone-shaped...
I don't know if Eastman Kodak ever produced a No.2D in british size, like half plate and full plate.
IF they ever did an half plate, a 7x7" opening would be sufficient for that size. Anyway, i don't think it could make sense for them to make different parts for each camera.
AFAIK, the brass parts were somewhat standardized between different makers/models, after all most makers were located in the same city, and it's very likely that some parts, like racks and pinions, were sourced from the same producers (maybe two or three of them, not more).
Unfortunately there are very little infos available. Without them, there is no assurance that the purchase of a "similar" camera would give compatible parts for the restoration project you badly want to complete :)

IF i get that 2D camera, i'll send a PM offering the leftovers, i need just a couple of parts to complete the restoration of my 5x7".
I have other wooden cameras, 8x10" and 5x7", waiting their turn.
Just a small question: i have an Ansco Agfa 5x7" that is falling apart, and that has the bellows "glued" by humidity. Probably it was stored in a damp basement for a long time, with the bellows completely folded.
The bellows look good, with nice corners, and it should be possible to recover its functionality with some shoe mantainance product (with wax and lanoline, for example)... but it needs to be unglued first!
Trying to separate the folds by force is not an option: the material gets cut or stripped. I'd need a product that can be left to penetrate, but that won't unglue the bellows. Any advice?

have fun

CJ

chaz
18-May-2011, 19:11
CJ
Let me know what you have leftover. I restore old view cameras and make wet plate cameras and backs. I am always interested in parts. I have a pic of my last restoration of an Eastman 2D on my website. If you need any help let me know. I have restored four of these.
www.chasbosioimages.com

2D Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbosio/5728860320/in/photostream

Charles

cyberjunkie
18-May-2011, 21:29
OK, Charles.
I won the camera, and i should get it within one month.
I will check what i need for my 2D (just the rails, i think), and what could be adapted to other cameras waiting for a restoration.
I will send you a PM once i know what's left.
BTW, i need a base for a Gundlach Korona 8x10; i already have the front rail with the hinge.

have fun

CJ