PDA

View Full Version : wollensak velostigmat Betax #5 lens 12" focus series II F 4.5 N#480455

darinsicurello
13-May-2011, 18:34
Wollensak Velostigmat Betax #5 lens 12" focus series II F 4.5 N#480455

I'm trying to find more information about this lens. It has been slightly modify to trigger a flash but I heard this technique was normal at the time with the availability of modern lighting systems.

I hope this does not effect the value at all.

I'm more of a 35mm and Digital photographer and I'm interested in learning more about large format but unsure if this lens the right fit for landscape photography as my subject matter.

Thank you for your time. :)

Jon Shiu
13-May-2011, 18:46
Looks like it's in great condition. On some of these, the front element can be rotated from 0 to 5 to give a softer image, mainly for portrait shot at wide aperture. But should be quite sharp lens for landscape when stopped down (and set at 0). The 12in/300mm focal length lens is mainly used on 8x10 format cameras.

Jon

Jim Noel
14-May-2011, 07:23
A terrific lens. .I would no like to be without mine.

TheDeardorffGuy
14-May-2011, 09:58
As all Velostigmats go this one most likely needs a cleaning. The glass that is. It's cloudy? It's just a Tessar with a diffusion feature. But it is a sharp one. Looking at my old test sheet this FL lens performed nearly as good as a Dagor at F11. Personaly I used to sell these at about 160.00. I bought an old Chicago studio out years ago and they were a Wollansak studio. Ten deardorffs set up with a 5 lens set. so I had LOTS of Velostigmats and Raptars. What camera are you interested in to hang this lens on?

darinsicurello
14-May-2011, 19:47
As all Velostigmats go this one most likely needs a cleaning. The glass that is. It's cloudy? It's just a Tessar with a diffusion feature. But it is a sharp one. Looking at my old test sheet this FL lens performed nearly as good as a Dagor at F11. Personaly I used to sell these at about 160.00. I bought an old Chicago studio out years ago and they were a Wollansak studio. Ten deardorffs set up with a 5 lens set. so I had LOTS of Velostigmats and Raptars. What camera are you interested in to hang this lens on?

It's with a B&J 8 x 10. My aunt gave it to me. I'm just dust cleaning it at the moment. It hasn't been used in years.

darinsicurello
7-Jun-2011, 20:39
Anybody have any Specification on the lens related to Shutter speed, time and aperture?

Sorry I have nothing to go on for taking pictures related to time and exposure.
Can I get a filter for a wollensak velostigmat lens?

Thank you!

BrianShaw
8-Jun-2011, 08:30
Get yourself a light meter, or learn the "Sunny-16" rile for outdoor exposure.

Yes, you can fit that lens with filters and a hood but you'l need to use the old Series filters and slip-on adapters.

BrianShaw
8-Jun-2011, 08:31
... or use one of your dgital or film SLRs meter to determine exposure.

darinsicurello
8-Jun-2011, 08:35
Get yourself a light meter, or learn the "Sunny-16" rile for outdoor exposure.

Yes, you can fit that lens with filters and a hood but you'l need to use the old Series filters and slip-on adapters.

I know 35mm basics but I'm dealing with in some cases faster exposure times.

I heard that 8x10 is 6xtimes 35mm

darinsicurello
8-Jun-2011, 08:35
... or use one of your dgital or film SLRs meter to determine exposure.

Yes my DSLR has a spot meter

Mark Sawyer
8-Jun-2011, 09:49
I know 35mm basics but I'm dealing with in some cases faster exposure times.

I heard that 8x10 is 6xtimes 35mm

With the same ISO, the f/stops and shutter speeds will be the same. If you do close-ups, you'll need to learn to compensate for bellows extension.

The 6X thing refers to focal length; a "normal" lens on a 35mm is 50mm, while on an 8x10 a "normal" lens is 300mm, (6 x 50mm).

darinsicurello
8-Jun-2011, 21:14
With the same ISO, the f/stops and shutter speeds will be the same. If you do close-ups, you'll need to learn to compensate for bellows extension.

The 6X thing refers to focal length; a "normal" lens on a 35mm is 50mm, while on an 8x10 a "normal" lens is 300mm, (6 x 50mm).

Thank you...

so I would need a 150mm for wide landscape photography?

Mark Sawyer
9-Jun-2011, 00:07
Thank you...

so I would need a 150mm for wide landscape photography?

What you need depends on how you see. Some want wide and some want long, and some go back and forth.

jnantz
9-Jun-2011, 04:22
if you don't want to commit to film at the moment ( an 8x10 sheet is $$ )
you can put sheets of photo paper in your film holders and expose those to make
paper negatives. the rendition of black and white is a little different than film
kind of "olde timey" ... poke around here for threads named "paper negative"
and you will find examples, from portraits to landscapes ...
rate your paper at about asa 6 ( so it would be 1 S @ f 8 in open shade )
old fogged expired paper is fine ... and you can develop under a safelight with regular print developer ( dilute a bit more than normal )

have fun !
john

darinsicurello
9-Jun-2011, 10:45
What you need depends on how you see. Some want wide and some want long, and some go back and forth.

Thank you!

What is the best model and price (range) for a new/used 150mm lens?

I was happy with a 24mm in 35mm (see example) or anything wide before distortion(fisheye)

darinsicurello
9-Jun-2011, 10:48
if you don't want to commit to film at the moment ( an 8x10 sheet is $$ )
you can put sheets of photo paper in your film holders and expose those to make
paper negatives. the rendition of black and white is a little different than film
kind of "olde timey" ... poke around here for threads named "paper negative"
and you will find examples, from portraits to landscapes ...
rate your paper at about asa 6 ( so it would be 1 S @ f 8 in open shade )
old fogged expired paper is fine ... and you can develop under a safelight with regular print developer ( dilute a bit more than normal )

have fun !
john

Cool idea!! Thanks..

Louis Pacilla
9-Jun-2011, 11:14
Thank you!

What is the best model and price (range) for a new/used 150mm lens?

I was happy with a 24mm in 35mm (see example) or anything wide before distortion(fisheye)

You may want to look for a Wollensak Velostigmat III f9.5 or IIIa f12.5. They are both 6 1/2". The III covers around 90% & is a 2 pairs glued w/ airspace x2 .It is better corrected but less coverage. The IIIa is a more simple construction of 2glued x2 and covers 100% although the edges of the IIIa are a little soft so watch out for the outside edge of the IC. This will be a good starting point.

If you get hooked you can look for a better corrected & much larger IC 8x10 wide angles. Like a Schneider SA 165 f8 $700-$1200 or the Rodenstock 155mm f6.8 Grandagon N $1000-$1800 .

There are other fantastic 8x10 wides but the price point is way high.

Mark Sawyer
9-Jun-2011, 11:31
A recent thread on wide lenses for 8x10:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76716