PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

goamules
12-May-2011, 14:27
I just caught a nice big fish. I didn't know when I'd get another Euryscop IV when I sold my last one a while back, but lo and behold I hooked another whopper. I don't think I'll throw this one back.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/5713788981_d7b4f08bf6.jpg

Paul Bujak
12-May-2011, 17:24
'Tis a beauty, for sure!

mike rosenlof
12-May-2011, 18:35
I picked this up at a camera show. It's a solid little chunk of glass. Weighs nearly 14 oz. Not sure if it's really good for anything, or what it even covers. The only other Optika Actinar reference I've found is for a mid 60s Japanese 2x3 SLR. This would be a lot of glass to only cover 2x3.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikerosenlof/home/DSC00015.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/mikerosenlof/home/DSC00016.JPG

tonkhang
12-May-2011, 19:31
My new catch : Jamin Darlot with 4 complements.

Randy
12-May-2011, 19:32
I can't stop myself. Got these three just this week (I am experimenting with 5X7 so I "needed" some more glass).

left - Fujnon W 180mm f/5.6
center - Konica Hexanon GR II 150mm f/9
right - Congo Yamasaki 180mm f/4.5

http://rsphoto.fileave.com/lenses.jpg

mike rosenlof
12-May-2011, 20:07
More info on that Optika Actinar a couple of posts back. I press-fit it onto a "lensboard" cut from cardboard and stuck it through a no. 3 lensboard that arrived from Kerry a day or two ago.

It definitely illuminates a circle big enough for 4x5. I didn't try to move it around since it wasn't a very secure "mounting" job. I did an exposure of my usual lens-test subject (my fireplace and its nicknacks), and I'll know in a day or two after developing.

I have no flange or mounting ring. The seller called it a 5x7 enlarging lens, but I have no idea if that's accurate. If it seems decently sharp, I'll do a little searching to find or have a ring made.

mike rosenlof
12-May-2011, 20:13
Hey Randy,

That Congo looks suspiciously like my 180/4.5! (scroll up two from your post) Heavy? With an awful lot of aperture blades? Preset aperture ring?

I get five reflections off of element surfaces. The lens is coated.

Randy
13-May-2011, 05:57
Mark, yes, that is why I shot it, as it looked a lot like yours, but from the looks, mine is older, or at least has seen more use than yours. The Congo goes down to F/64 though. I also have a Kodak Enlarging Ektanon, 7 1/2", which I guess is about 190mm that has the same 5 reflections as yours and the Congo but doesn't seem to have near the coverage as the Congo. As soon as I can figure out how to mount the thing (no retaining ring) I'll give it a try.
The congo has slightly purpalish reflections, the Kodak has yellowish reflections.

Louis Pacilla
13-May-2011, 07:06
I picked this up at a camera show. It's a solid little chunk of glass. Weighs nearly 14 oz. Not sure if it's really good for anything, or what it even covers. The only other Optika Actinar reference I've found is for a mid 60s Japanese 2x3 SLR. This would be a lot of glass to only cover 2x3.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikerosenlof/home/DSC00015.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/mikerosenlof/home/DSC00016.JPG

Both the Congo & Your lens are Tessar design. I believe They should have around 60-65% coverage stopped down Maybe 70% max. You should have a bit of wiggle room on 4x5. Much tighter on 5x7 but will cover.For the most part both lenses should max out at small stops of near 9" Image circle.

Very lovely Euryscope #5 Garrett. I love this size for 8x10 .

Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.

goamules
13-May-2011, 08:22
Very lovely Euryscope #5 Garrett. I love this size for 8x10 .

Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.

Sure, that would be handy. It looks like this size is for even larger than 8x10 plates, but the only film I have today to try it out is 5x7! It's in fantastic condition and if anything like my last one, should take great portraits.

Louis Pacilla
13-May-2011, 08:37
Sure, that would be handy. It looks like this size is for even larger than 8x10 plates, but the only film I have today to try it out is 5x7! It's in fantastic condition and if anything like my last one, should take great portraits.

Hey Garrett, PM your address to me & I'll snail mail a couple of scanned pages for your template.
BTW- I believe the lens is stated as starting coverage of 11x14 so it'll will cover more than 8x10. I used it a few times on 11x14 but I love the 17" focal length on 8x10 Portraits.
I'll mail the copies out later today. I would email the scan but can't figure how to scan & save or I should say I have not taken the time to figure it out.:o

Emil Schildt
13-May-2011, 13:56
my newest find...:D

and I am not telling which one it is....;)

Wally
14-May-2011, 14:42
The Fujinon W 180mm is my favorite lens on my 5x7.

What's the image circle on the Congo lens?

I can't stop myself. Got these three just this week (I am experimenting with 5X7 so I "needed" some more glass).

left - Fujnon W 180mm f/5.6
center - Konica Hexanon GR II 150mm f/9
right - Congo Yamasaki 180mm f/4.5

http://rsphoto.fileave.com/lenses.jpg

Dan Fromm
14-May-2011, 14:54
Oh, dear, you folks are making me jealous. I've pretty well stopped buying lenses. I have too many. Ones that tempt are getting scarce, or perhaps the threshold of temptation is rising. And I'm feeling broke.

But I have bought one or two in the last year. You can read about them and even see pictures here: http://www.galerie-photo.com/3-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html , at the bottom of section 6.

c.d.ewen
14-May-2011, 15:04
The Fujinon W 180mm is my favorite lens on my 5x7.

What's the image circle on the Congo lens?

Wally:

Hope Randy doesn't mind my stepping on his thread, but I recently tested three sets of Commercial Congo cells: 180mm, 210mm and 250mm. All nice and sharp and all fit into a Copal 3S shutter. I don't recall, offhand, how much movement there was available on the 180mm, but it certainly covered 8x10 easy enough. I'll attach a scan of an 8x10 made with the 180mm, and won't say anything about the damn wires and light leak. :mad:

Charley

Dan Fromm
14-May-2011, 16:12
Here's Yamasaki's site: http://www.cosmonet.org/congo/index_e.html

They claim that the 180/6.8 Commercial Congo covers 220 mm, also that it fits a #0. What do you have, Charley, and what's your coverage criterion? I'm not sure you have the lens they now sell.

c.d.ewen
14-May-2011, 18:56
Dan:

I suspect that my cells are vintage. They're pictured below.

My criterion for coverage is just lack of vignetting. I took photos using each set of cells with the shutter set the same way - 1/30s with the iris mostly closed. I'll post them next. I never bothered to figure out the f/stops for the lenses in the shutter; I don't know what lens the shutter's scale is for..

All of the cells fit into the Copal 3S, and mixing and matching the various cells does produce images, but not of the best quality. The fourth photo posted below was taken with the 250mm front cell and the 180mm rear cell in the Copal 3S.

Charley

c.d.ewen
14-May-2011, 19:10
These are sample photos taken with the 180mm, 210mm and 250mm Commercial Congo cells. The forum software wouldn't let me upload the 250+180mm photo. If anyone's interested, I'll put into a subsequent post.

Charley

BTW, the 210 & 250 photo names are reversed. It's obvious which is which though.

mike rosenlof
14-May-2011, 19:36
I'm the one with that 180 that's labled Actinar, but looks like it's a Congo.

I've made one photo on 4x5 with the thing. The lens was pressed into a cardboard lensboard and stuffed somewhat precariously through the hole of a No. 3 shutter lensboard. I guess that makes the cardboard part a flange.

It looks nice and sharp at f/11. Of course anything from the last 100 years ought to, unless it was designed otherwise. i think it will be a keeper. I need to find a real flange of some kind. Not bad for $50 I'm thinking.

goamules
14-May-2011, 21:09
Wally:

Hope Randy doesn't mind my stepping on his thread, but I recently tested three sets of Commercial Congo cells...

Charley

I thought I started this thread for people to show (briefly) any new lens acquisitions. Someone better rename it "Talk about Congo Lenses"...!

Jim Galli
14-May-2011, 23:13
Nothing to report! Egads, I must be slipping.............

Randy
15-May-2011, 17:55
Wally:

Hope Randy doesn't mind my stepping on his thread, but I recently tested three sets of Commercial Congo cells: 180mm, 210mm and 250mm. All nice and sharp and all fit into a Copal 3S shutter. I don't recall, offhand, how much movement there was available on the 180mm, but it certainly covered 8x10 easy enough. I'll attach a scan of an 8x10 made with the 180mm, and won't say anything about the damn wires and light leak. :mad:

Charley

Charley, thanks for the info. I purchased the Congo not having any idea if it would even sufficiently cover 5X7...so I also grabbed the Fujinon W 180 also, which I was confident would cover 5X7. Once I get a lens board made, and rig up some sort of retaining method (no ring with the Congo), I'll play with it on my 8X10.

goamules
18-May-2011, 06:46
...Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.

Louis, I got the Euryscop templates in the mail. Thanks for the extra effort to help out, good one Mate.

Louis Pacilla
18-May-2011, 10:22
Good deal. Glad I could help my brother out.

Peace

VishalMathur
19-May-2011, 14:24
This is the latest: a 210/4.5 Xenar in a compound #3 shutter. Can't wait to try it for portraits!

Two23
24-May-2011, 19:42
OK, I can play this game today! I've just received a E.& T.H. Anthony Wide Angle 2 lens, and I was out playing with it today. It's tiny! Barrel is roughly 1.37 inches diameter, and 1.22 inches long. It seems to like to focus just under 4 inches (call it 95mm.) It has rotating wheel stops and I measure them as best I could with caliper as: f10 (9.75mm), f14 (6.65mm), f20 (4.8mm), f25 (3.85mm), and f34 (2.8mm). Lens is in great shape! It seems to be very well made. The glass elements are housed in screw out brass inserts, and everything is well blackened inside. Here's a question I have. What lens forumla is this likely to be? There seem to be only two elements, a pair of meniscus that face back to back: ( ). Glass is very thick but I couldn't see that there was more than one element per meniscus. Lens is likely from the 1890s. I bought it because I don't have a vintage wide angle and this was the oldest I could find that covers 4x5 with 4 inch length. With a native f10 I think it's probably a landscape lens. So, what is this lens formula called?

This is what the lens looks like. Front and rear elements screw out but I couldn't unscrew the barrel to get the wheel out:

http://www.jdmdirectory.com/store/Rare-fine-1890s-ANTHONY-Wide-Angle-No-2-brass-lens_170641481214.html

Kent in SD

Two23
24-May-2011, 21:17
Did some digging around online and came up with an 1895 E&HT Anthony catalog. Found my lens! Catalog says it's "of the rectilinear principle." I couldn't see two elements in each piece of glass, but apparently it's there. Lens covers half plate, and cost $15 in 1895. That equates to about $390 today. I paid $190 for it. Dang, the the thing kept about half its value over ~116 years. I wonder if my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens will do that?

Kent in SD