PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Ring Question

Stoogley
12-May-2011, 12:38
Hey guys

I need some education on two aspects of retaining rings.

I've purchased a lens in a Copal #0 shutter which doesn't come with the retaining ring(s).
And I've purchased a Sinar lens board cut for a Copal 0.

1. How many retaining rings do I need to mount the lens/shutter?
2. Where is a good place to buy affordable retaining rings?

Stoog

Bob Salomon
12-May-2011, 12:39
We have the Rodenstock retaining rings in stock. They can be ordered from any camera store that you buy from.

Jon Shiu
12-May-2011, 12:57
I would contact Midwest Photo Exchange, they might have a used one for sale.

Jon

Stoogley
12-May-2011, 13:27
We have the Rodenstock retaining rings in stock. They can be ordered from any camera store that you buy from.

Thanks Bob.

The rings are shutter unique, rather than element specific, right?
Rodenstock just happens to make rings...

How much are the Rodenstock rings?

MIke Sherck
12-May-2011, 13:55
Retaining rings go with the shutter, not the lens, so a Rodenstock lens in a Copal 1 shutter uses the same ring as a Schneider lens in a Copal 1 shutter uses the same ring as a Nikon lens in a Copal 1 shutter... etc. If you have a lens in a shutter, any retaining ring for that shutter will work. As you might expect, sometimes manufacturers charge more for something you can get for a lower price elsewhere; you might be able to contact Rodenstock, for example, to get a retaining ring but I'll bet the same ring would be cheaper from, say Midwest Photo (www.mpex.com.) If you have an older lens for which new retaining rings (or flanges,) are not available, you can get them from SK Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/).

Retaining rings aren't consumables (that is, they don't usually get used up,) so there aren't a lot of spares running around out there, or even used ones. Still, it's worth asking some of the major suppliers (MPEX, Badger, etc.) whether they have a used one laying around.

Mike

Bob Salomon
12-May-2011, 14:26
Thanks Bob.

The rings are shutter unique, rather than element specific, right?
Rodenstock just happens to make rings...

How much are the Rodenstock rings?

For a price just call your camera store and they will order them from us. We are the Rodenstock distributor for the USA so we have factory made Rodenstock ones.

Leigh
12-May-2011, 16:10
Copal 0 and Copal 1 shutters each use a single retaining ring; different sizes for the two shutters.

The Copal 3 shutter uses a retaining ring plus a spacer.

In all three cases the lensboard hole is larger than the shutter mounting thread diameter. The difference varies from about 0.08" to about 0.13", depending on shutter size.

On the two smaller shutters, the retaining rings have a lip on the side facing the shutter that fits in the lensboard hole.
On the Copal 3 shutter the clearance is taken up by the spacer.

- Leigh

Randy
12-May-2011, 19:39
Any suggestions on barrel lenses (enlarger or copier lenses for instance) that have lost their retaining rings? For instance, I just got a 180mm Congo that has no ring. Any ideas on mounting such a lens to a lens board without a ring?

Leigh
12-May-2011, 19:48
It's possible to use a threaded flange that's affixed to the lensboard using screws. It's shown as an option on Copal datasheets.

The disadvantage is you can only control the orientation of the shutter in 90° increments (once the mounting holes are drilled).

The simplest solution would be to send the lens and board to SK Grimes and let them worry about it.

- Leigh

Henry Ambrose
12-May-2011, 21:45
Any suggestions on barrel lenses (enlarger or copier lenses for instance) that have lost their retaining rings? For instance, I just got a 180mm Congo that has no ring. Any ideas on mounting such a lens to a lens board without a ring?

I can probably help you with this.
Send me an email with a picture of the lens and what kind of board you want of mount it on. -- henry--at--henryambrose.com

Randy
13-May-2011, 05:48
Pics sent Henry. Thanks.