PDA

View Full Version : intensifying pyro negs

Rich Lingg
11-Apr-2001, 16:58
I have a rather thin 8x10 negative that was developed in ABC+ pyro. It prints o n grade 4 paper and I'd like to intensify it.

Does anyone have a good method for intensifying pyro negatives?

Don Sparks
11-Apr-2001, 20:53
Gordon Hutchings says yes. One part selenium to three parts water for five minutes with occasional agitation...wash and dry. The added contrast is not dramatic...the negatives gain about a half paper grade. Might not be worth the trouble?

Dave Aharonian
11-Apr-2001, 22:22
I've been developing my tri-x negs in PMK pyro and find that Gordon Hutchings 1: 3 dilution of selenium toner works very well. I'd say I gain a full grade of co ntrast, rather than just a half. Give it a try, I bet you'll like the results.

tedkaufman
12-Jul-2001, 20:56
I use selenium to water 1:2 for 10 minutes, as per John Sexton's recommendation. I agitate 10sec/min, though after I had done this several times, I reread Sexton's piece and noted he agitates continuously. I know he uses a Jobo, so that is likely why he uses constant agitation. In any case, with lots or little agitation, it works great! About one grade more contrast with no discernable penalty--no grain build-up, no loss of sharpness, just a very nice increase in contrast.

tedkaufman
12-Jul-2001, 20:57
I use selenium to water 1:2 for 10 minutes, as per John Sexton's recommendation. I agitate 10sec/min, though after I had done this several times, I reread Sexton's piece and noted he agitates continuously. I know he uses a Jobo, so that is likely why he uses constant agitation. In any case, with lots or little agitation, it works great! About one grade more contrast with no discernable penalty--no grain build-up, no loss of sharpness, just a very nice increase in contrast.

I use this on negatives developed in PMK and a catechol formula of my own making. It works fine with both.