PDA

View Full Version : old camera lens HELP

david s
10-May-2011, 14:00
Hi.

I am new to this forum and have to straight away confess that I know nothing about photography or cameras.

I typed the name of a lens I found into Google and it brought me to some posts in your forum, hense my joining.

Last year a very close friend sadly past away, he was a very keen amateur photographer and had his own darkroom etc.

His equipment has all been disposed of to the benefit of the various charities that he supported.

I am left with odds and ends to deal with.

As a general rule my friend always bought the best (in his opinion) and so I was a little surprised to find a couple of odd things which to me might be thought of as scrap, but because they were his could just be of value.

I need your help to identify a lens off an old camera (there was not a camera that it fitted) and I hope you can tell me whether I should throw it in the bin or whether it's as rare as rocking horse droppings.

If it is worth something to someone how should I list it on eBay?

I will be totaly honest; I have not read your forum rules about selling stuff. Some forums allow it straight away others require a minimum number of posts or a cetain length of membership time.

I am not trying to sell this directly to you. I just need help so that I don't dispose of something that might be of value to one of you and to the charity.

So; to the lens:

The main body is 2 1/4" accross and 1/2" thick.
The threaded bit on the back is 1 1/4" accross.
The overall thickness is 1 3/8"

The wording round the lens says:
ALDIS ANASTIGMAT F/6 No2 5.75 IN FOCUS No107342
The lever that alters the size of the 'eye' has got the numbers:
45 32 23 16 11 8 F/6
The little dial on the side is marked:
GENERAL 5 10 25 50 100 B T.

The shutter seems to work ok in that it 'flashes' open and closed whan you press the lever on the munbers and it stays open on the B and T.

Thank you in antisipation.
Dave

The photo's:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ahotn/SDC11330.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ahotn/SDC11331.jpg

edp
10-May-2011, 14:20
I've got one just like it. The lens isn't bad; reasonably sharp and contrasty, and of much better quality than the shutter. Neither lens nor shutter is worth much; I paid a few pounds for mine a couple of years ago. Give it a good clean and put it on eBay, and if it makes £10 or £20 you have won.

Jim Galli
10-May-2011, 14:51
I concur. Ebay.

david s
10-May-2011, 15:37
Thank you guys.

If I do go with eBay how shoud it be listed and in what category?

Or, would it be worth while waiting the statutory 30 days membership to your forum so that I can list it for sale here?

That way it would go to a real enthusiast.

Bearing in mind that I am in the UK and postage to anywhere else in the world could work out more than it is worth.

Dave

goamules
10-May-2011, 16:49
If I do go with eBay how shoud it be listed and in what category?

Or, would it be worth while waiting the statutory 30 days membership to your forum so that I can list it for sale here?...

- um...the lens category? Look around on ebay and pick one.

- Only you can answer that, is it worth waiting to get 10-20 bucks? It's not an in demand lens, or someone would have PMd you with an offer already.

david s
11-May-2011, 00:21
- um...the lens category? Look around on ebay and pick one.

Yea..OK...bit of a silly question when it's put that simply.:o

What I meant was; what type or make of camera might this be off or used for etc.

As you know, successful eBaying relies on hitting the right 'key words' so that sale potential is maximised.

Steven Tribe
11-May-2011, 01:27
Here is some waffle to put in the listing!

This is the Uno design by Birmingham makers Aldis. Series II with cemented lens front and rear (2 +2)
This size is for 1/4 plate cameras at the start of the the 20th Century - mounted on UK cameras like Houghton. Will probably cover 4x5".

The shutter is one those types that work OK until until they stop working - attempts at repair will be hopeless.

david s
11-May-2011, 01:39
WOW!
Thank you.
There's irony...I live in Birmingham (I presume you mean the real one...in the UK).

That should make sense to those in the know.

Between you and me...I think I'll leave the last line out:rolleyes:

Steven Tribe
11-May-2011, 01:52
Aldis Bothers, Sparkhill, Birmingham 28.

Birmingham had the J. Lancaster organisation too. They were, for a short period, the biggest photographic lens maker (at least, thats what they wrote in their ads!).

The last line was not meant for use on e**y! It is customary to check the shutter for functions, iris for movement and the front/rear cells for obvious faults!