PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Barrel Lens On Shutter

Miguel Coquis
10-May-2011, 01:07
I am planning to mount a barrel lens on shutter and wonder if there is a repairing lab, besides skgrimes, able to guarantee a good job at reasonable rates (skgrimes sent me an estimate of $750 to $900 wich incude the right engraved iris scale...).
I might be wrong but this prices seems extremely high.
Cells are in perfect shape, thread diameter is little near 68 mm. They need an intermediary rings to fit on my Compound V and to adjust the right iris and cell to cell distances.
Maybe a copal n° 3 shutter would be more recomendable ?
Any light you can put on this project will be must appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Lachlan 717
10-May-2011, 01:31
Copal 3 only has a 58mm front/rear thread diameter...

IanG
10-May-2011, 01:37
Why not leave the cells in their barrel and fit the lens to a Thornton Pickard shutter. Total cost even with a refurbished shutter would be about a tenth of the Grimes price.

Ian

johnielvis
10-May-2011, 03:06
Get yourself a packard box for the front of the camera---I got one and man it opens things up for you---you'll be mounting all kind of stuff after that---a packard box is a lensboard with a packard shutter in it that takes other lensboards in front--to mount all kinds of barrel lenses on their own boards. The packard shutters never break either---very simple operation and very rugged. Changed my life after I got one...note---you need a stout front standard to hold one---you may need extra support to keep it from tilting down--small price to pay--I use, literally, a doorstop wedge to keep my packard box/heavy barrels from tilting the front standard....it works perfectly and rigidly.

AND you dont' butcher the lens!!!!! and it looks kooler!!!! AND you get that little bit of extra bellows draw---shutter puts part of the lens IN the camera--it balances it better, but still....try it--they're cheep!!!

Andrey Vorobyov
10-May-2011, 05:38
Miguel,
I've described my approach of mounting barrel lenses on the "do everything" Copal #3 in this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=68885
but there was a typo the words
"step-up ring 45->82"
should be read as
"step-up ring 58->82"
because Copal #3 thread diameter is indeed 58mm.

May be it can be useful for you.
I can make some photos (in couple of days) if you like.

Miguel Coquis
11-May-2011, 02:10
Thanks you all for your precious comments, I might be now in the right direction with the the info provided by another LFF member (All metric sizes to 24x30...:)).
Many thanks !!!

CZJ 210 mm f:3,5 in barrel

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Musica/Piano%20Lesson.jpg
Piano Lesson
CZJ Wide Open