PDA

View Full Version : Film Holders not secure...should I worry?

unixrevolution
9-May-2011, 22:38
Hey, everyone. I am brand-new to Large-Format so please go easy on me :o

I just got my first Large Format camera... a Toyo Omega View 45F. It's a wonderful machine, and it should prove fun when I get my 150mm F/5.6 Schneider convertible lens in.

my concern is film holders. I was told by the ebay seller I got the camera from that these film holders are for the Toyo, but I am unconvinced. The plastic film holders mate to the surface just fine, but they have, essentially, flat edges. When the film-holder retainer clips close in on the holders, they don't hold. I mean, it's fine, but if I apply so much as fingertip pressure my light-seal is pretty well gone.

Is this common to 4x5 view cameras? I know it's a whole different world, but it seems really insecure. I am used to medium-format cameras where you can pick the camera up by its film holder. Should I replace these holders? I got 5 of them, and they seem okay aside from the fitment issue. Should I dremel/file notches in them so the retaining blades bite into them and hold them securely? Should I not worry about it? I'm really confused.

dsphotog
9-May-2011, 23:03
It sounds like you are only using the Graflok clips to hold the film holder.

Does the camera have the ground glass spring back?

TheDeardorffGuy
9-May-2011, 23:06
can you post some images with your digital camera we all own but will not admit to?

unixrevolution
10-May-2011, 00:19
It sounds like you are only using the Graflok clips to hold the film holder.

Does the camera have the ground glass spring back?

You know, now that you say it, it seems like exactly what I'm doing. That's a silly thing to do. In order to avoid confusion, I'll post pictures of what I have: The ground glass back, the film holder(s) and the revolving back adapter on my 45F.

can you post some images with your digital camera we all own but will not admit to?

These pics are from my camera-of-last-restort, my iPhone. As last resorts go, it's not a bad one.

The ground glass back mounted on the camera:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/5705865479_2cbd52d71e_z.jpg

Ground glass back: reverse side

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/5705865301_01ce289cfb_z.jpg

Film Holder Edge Detail

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3601/5706430748_83492376c0_z.jpg

The interface with the camera

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/5705864521_59775c22a6_z.jpg

I knew something wasn't right with this whole thing. What am I missing, where do I get it, how much is it, and how many F-bombs do I put in my email to the eBay seller?

mdm
10-May-2011, 00:33
Slide the film holder in the gap on the short side of the groundglass. it will be held tight by springs. Dont take the back off.

Tobias Key
10-May-2011, 02:38
If you look at your groundglass back you will see a lever on the right hand side. If you pull that lever back a gap should open up. Slide the film holder in to that gap and the close the lever. That is how you load a film holder into a Toyo.

unixrevolution
10-May-2011, 03:43
Okay, I never would have figured that out on my own. I just tried it. Slick system, real slick.

I guess all I have to yell at my eBay seller for is not including manuals :D Thanks for all your help!

altair
10-May-2011, 06:51
unixrevolution: A manual? Forget about it. They don't have manuals for LF cameras. I asked.

I'm a newbie like you and I learned the hard way :) Have fun!

JBR
10-May-2011, 07:19
I become more and more impressed with this forum everyday. You guys really helped this newbie with out being condisending.
It gives me a warm and fuzzy.
Have a great day.

Calligrapher John

WootSK
10-May-2011, 07:52
Actually what you can do is to setup the system, slide in a unloaded film holder, then take out the lens board. If you find that sliding out the dark slide doesn't move the holder and causes any light leak, you are fine. You can use it to check for light leak in bellow and other places with a torch when doing it in a dark place. Hope it helps

mdm
10-May-2011, 10:19
I become more and more impressed with this forum everyday. You guys really helped this newbie with out being condisending.
It gives me a warm and fuzzy.
Have a great day.

Calligrapher John

The temptation was almost too hard to bear.

unixrevolution
10-May-2011, 19:21
The temptation was almost too hard to bear.

Despite how nice you guys were to me about this, i am deeply embarrased, even though i searched the Internet and Found nothing pertaining to my particular camera. Guess i could have lookes up a similar model just to get the idea of how it works.

Next time i wont resort to asking here unless the bellows are on fire.

Oren Grad
10-May-2011, 19:27
Despite how nice you guys were to me about this, i am deeply embarrased, even though i searched the Internet and Found nothing pertaining to my particular camera. Guess i could have lookes up a similar model just to get the idea of how it works.

Read this thread...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/90710-risk-being-scolded.html

...and you'll feel better. We've all been there, one way or another. So go have some fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Brian C. Miller
10-May-2011, 19:27
unixrevolution, you might not believe the silly errors we all make on a regular basis. Like one LF trailer video showed, the guy goes setting up his great big camera, only to sneeze on the ground glass.

mdm
10-May-2011, 21:07
Dont worry about it because you probably have never seen such a camera being used before, even on TV or YouTube, I guess there will be more and more people asking such questions.

David Woods
11-May-2011, 01:48
If you don't ask questions you won't learn, and I guess that is what this forum is about, learning.

Robert Jonathan
11-May-2011, 01:52
When I first started using my Fuji Instant film holder, I thought sure I had to take off the GG back and use only the graflok frame to hold it, since it's about as thick as 2 or so film holders. I used it on the graflok for a long time like this.

Then after a long while, one day I actually realized that it really DOES fit under the GG frame, just like the film holders, without having to take anything off.

Who woulda thought!?

unixrevolution
11-May-2011, 04:06
Dont worry about it because you probably have never seen such a camera being used before, even on TV or YouTube, I guess there will be more and more people asking such questions.

Yeah, if I'd seen it done just once, there'd have been no confusion. I think I will actually post to YouTube a video of the sequence to take a shot with it, for the benefit of those that come after me.

I realize we all do stupid and/or uninformed things some times, I was just hoping to make a stronger, more positive first impression on the members of this forum than this :o

At least I didn't ask where the batteries go.

unixrevolution
11-May-2011, 05:55
When I first started using my Fuji Instant film holder, I thought sure I had to take off the GG back and use only the graflok frame to hold it, since it's about as thick as 2 or so film holders. I used it on the graflok for a long time like this.

Then after a long while, one day I actually realized that it really DOES fit under the GG frame, just like the film holders, without having to take anything off.

Who woulda thought!?

Thank you in advance for letting me know about this for when i get an instant film holder myself.

One came with my camera but its the 545 that takes only discontinued film.

richardhkirkando
11-May-2011, 06:27

Nah, the real embarrassment will come when you develop a pile of sheets that were never exposed. Not that I would ever do such a thing...

jnantz
11-May-2011, 07:10
unixrevolution

i have read about people thinking their lens or ground glass was
"broken" because the image on the GG is upside down and backwards ..

have fun with your new camera!
john

mike rosenlof
11-May-2011, 08:46
It IS actually possible to remove the GG back and use the slide locks to hold on the film holder. It's not the most common, but it should work. There is a little ridge on the film holder near the end where you pull the darkslide, and that ridge needs to fit in a matching trench on the camera back. Then slide down the locks which will catch those ridges on the film holder.

As you've already discovered, it's usually easier to slide the holder under the GG.

unixrevolution
11-May-2011, 15:02
Nah, the real embarrassment will come when you develop a pile of sheets that were never exposed. Not that I would ever do such a thing...

Thats an easy mistake. Its not like you can check by looking.

unixrevolution
18-May-2011, 06:49
As a somewhat-update, I shot my first frame of 4x5 yesterday...then promptly forgot which side of the holder I had exposed...so 1 wasted shot already....

Immediately thereafter, I made a "system" by which I would know, in the future, which shots were and were not exposed based on which side of the dark-slide is facing out.

Brian C. Miller
18-May-2011, 07:51
Immediately thereafter, I made a "system" by which I would know, in the future, which shots were and were not exposed based on which side of the dark-slide is facing out.

:eek: Don't tell what you decided! :eek: The last time we had a "discussion" about that it went on for over a hundred posts in a couple of different threads! Seriously, it's been a hotly debated topic. Not as hot as pyro development or some of our philosophical debates, but still...

unixrevolution
19-May-2011, 06:09
:eek: Don't tell what you decided! :eek: The last time we had a "discussion" about that it went on for over a hundred posts in a couple of different threads! Seriously, it's been a hotly debated topic. Not as hot as pyro development or some of our philosophical debates, but still...

I'll probably be quite interested to find that thread and see what's been said on the topic.

BrianShaw
19-May-2011, 06:20

Here's my contribution to the debate.

White side is for...

Black side is for...

Now all we need are 98 more posts!