PDA

View Full Version : My first brass lens find

ChrisN
7-May-2011, 19:24
This morning I found my first brass lens, at a local flea-market. I'll share some pics of it, and would appreciate any information people can give me about it.

The lens is a "Hugo Meyer & Co - Goerlitz. Nr 379761 Trioplan 1:4,5 Foc. 8 3/4 inches". The glass has been cleaned at some stage, and carries a few marks and small scratches, dust and hair(!). The iris operates smoothly, with 17 blades, but no markings for aperture settings.

I hope to give the lens a run with my Speed Graphic, but I'll need to make a lens board for it.

Could anyone tell me how old this lens is, and what sort of camera it might originally been used with?

The seller said it came to him with a plate camera, which fell apart and he gave away the parts to a friend, but kept the lens. He couldn't remember any details about the camera.

Thanks!

Chris.

Richard Rankin
7-May-2011, 19:40
According to the Lens VM: First appeared in Amateur Photo in March, 1914. Shorter ones were for movie cameras, longer ones for portraiture. Should be a triplet with 40 degree coverage wide open and 65 degrees stopped down.
Richard

Louis Pacilla
7-May-2011, 22:04
Hi Chris

More than likely this would have been a Speed Graphic or European focal plain camera. The catalog shows it covers 5x7 wide open & 5x8 at small stops.The series f4.5 is claimed to have an angle of 65% stopped down. On 4x5 you would have room for movements however this is a better fit for portraits than coverage.
There are much better choices in vintage lenses if you need a large image circle. Something like a Dagor , Commercial Ektar or TR triple convertible Protar series VIIa.

Here's a link to a Hugo Meyers catalog on Cammera Eccentric information page. Scroll down until you find your Trioplan.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_3.html

Hugo Meyers made several series of Trioplan w/ different max f stop All are wonderful triplets. One of my favorite triplets in fact. I use a couple of the "Portrait Trioplan" f3. A 14" f3.6 as well as a #5 10 1/2" f3.3.

The next series (Yours) is the f4.5 Trioplan (plenty fast for portraits). You'll enjoy the creamy smooth transitions of tonality & wonderful out of focus area.The last series is the Trioplan f6.3 which was the least expensive but still good for general use.

Have fun & use her in good creative health.

Peace

ChrisN
8-May-2011, 04:51
Richard and Louis - thanks very much for the information. I have not been actively searching for old lenses, but have admired the results shown on this forum and when I found this on the seller's table, and at a very low price, I decided to risk the investment and then see what I could do with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the "creamy smooth transitions of tonality & wonderful out of focus area" promised! :)

Cheers!

Chris