PDA

View Full Version : Help ID this lens

B.S.Kumar
7-May-2011, 18:08
I have this lens, apparently a soft focus. The lens is approximately 180mm, and the elements are in brass mounts. I'm not sure if the elements were fitted into the Copal 3S shutter at the factory, or were retro-fitted. At any rate, it is a very good job. The glass is exceptionally clean. Both front and rear elements are 58mm dia, and overall length is 74mm.

Here is the lens: https://picasaweb.google.com/104131518494734389012/SFLens?authkey=Gv1sRgCMOE95qO5IX46AE

I made some photos with it, at f/4, f/8 and f/22: https://picasaweb.google.com/104131518494734389012/PhotosWithSFLens?authkey=Gv1sRgCMD1lMeOwNuClAE

What do you think this could be?

Thanks,
Kumar

Geoffrey_5995
7-May-2011, 19:03
Hi Kumar, Can you tell if the front and rear elements are cemented pairs or single glasses. At f4 this could be a Wollensak Verito that was mounted into a Copal 3S. Look at the glasses. A Verito would have one glass in the front and two in the rear. This is from the Vade Mecum: "Verito (Soft Focus) f4.0 5.0-18in This seems to be a 1+2 type portrait lens, and free from distortion
due to a symmetrical design. The actual sizes made varied in speed: It was deleted by 1960. It is a very light
lens as the glasses are thin, and was seen as a 11.5in f4.0 in a very big Wollensak Studio shutter operate by
a cable release, and with no timing action, just bulb, and opening to a controllable degree to act as a stop, so
no iris was fitted. The image has much detail but is just softish, and seems to be well color corrected, but soft
due to sphericals. It seems to sharpen up on stop down and provision for f45 is available."

Hope this helps.

B.S.Kumar
7-May-2011, 19:19
Thanks, Geoffrey. I can't make out if the elements are single or cemented pairs, but both front and rear appear to be symmetrical, and weigh the same - ~100 grams each. The front cap says Wollensak Rochester, but that doesn't mean anything, of course.

Kumar

Geoffrey_5995
7-May-2011, 20:54
Thanks, Geoffrey. I can't make out if the elements are single or cemented pairs, but both front and rear appear to be symmetrical, and weigh the same - ~100 grams each. The front cap says Wollensak Rochester, but that doesn't mean anything, of course.

Kumar

Hi Kumar, Did you try shining a point source light into the elements to count the reflections? Unscrew the front element and shine a flashlight into the glass and look into the glass to count the reflections. If a Verito the front element will display two bright reflections showing the to air spaced surfaces. The rear element if it is a cemented pair, will display two bright reflections and one faint reflection which indicates the cemented surfaces. You could also completely take apart the lens and look at the elements outside of the mounts but I only recommend this if you have had some experience with this and if the elements can be removed easily. Best, Geoff

B.S.Kumar
7-May-2011, 23:03
Well, I don't think I want to remove the elements from the mounts, but I will check the reflections.

Kumar