PDA

View Full Version : Gandolfi Half plate question

aluncrockford
6-May-2011, 15:01
I am looking for a 7x5 camera and have been offered a half plate gandolfi with a split base, although it can take 7x5 slides can I adjust the half plate so that I get no cut off I assume a good cabinet maker can fix the split base but I would like a 5x4 reducing back and now Gandolfi has ceased to exist in any practical form I am a little concerned that getting hold of one of these will be impossible, is it best to give up on the Gandolfi and try and track down a Deardorff special or to just accept the fact that life would be easier if I just got a Wista 5x4, any experience with any of these cameras gratefully accepted

mdm
6-May-2011, 15:32
I have a reducing back for my 5x7 that is just a 4x5 graflok back screwed onto a suitable piece of wood. I am happy because it makes using fuji pack film holders a breeze and would make a roll film holder simple if I had one. Very simple to make or have made, once you have the graflok back.

IanG
6-May-2011, 15:45
Modern international backs mean that Half plate & 7x5 Dark slides (film holders) have the same outside dimensions, the difference in film size is not important. Both allow full coverage of the formats.

The DDS/Film holder governs the format, as long as the lens covers.

Gandolfi still exists :d they still make cameras every now & again.

Ian

aluncrockford
6-May-2011, 16:42
Thanks for the advice, though Gandolfi or Ian, as far as I can tell has stopped for good ,
though the graflock back and a block of wood will resolve many problems,
so it looks like the Gandolfi is the answer, the only other thought is how old is might a half plate camera be

palsphot
7-May-2011, 00:44
yes, The DDS/Film holder governs the format, as long as the lens covers.

Andrew Plume
7-May-2011, 03:39
Modern international backs mean that Half plate & 7x5 Dark slides (film holders) have the same outside dimensions, the difference in film size is not important. Both allow full coverage of the formats.

The DDS/Film holder governs the format, as long as the lens covers.

Gandolfi still exists :d they still make cameras every now & again.

Ian

Hi Ian

sadly, from the attached, no cameras are now being made - http://www.gandolficameras.com/

best

andrew

Ole Tjugen
7-May-2011, 06:27
If the camera is old enough to have been made for half-plate PLATES, it may not have the same dimensions as a 5x7" camera would and it is possible that any format adapted would have to be custom made.

Remember that Gandolfi cameras were made for a very very long time, in every possible format.

IanG
7-May-2011, 10:44
Hi Ian

sadly, from the attached, no cameras are now being made - http://www.gandolficameras.com/

best

andrew

The fact the company lasted so long was a quirk, the old boys lived in a home made time capsule. While Sir Kenneth Corfield oversaw the revival of Gandolfi it had a future but sadly thats no more.

Ian

cameragirl72
10-Jun-2011, 05:31
Actually my father bought Gandolfi from the two brothers and continued to design cameras and parts until he died in 1997 having already become partners with Sir Kenneth Corfield some time before. After my father (Brian Gould) died there was noone to continue with his designs and not the market share to introduce a new designer. I don't usually comment but felt it unfair for my father's role in the Gandolfi name not to be included.

IanG
11-Jun-2011, 15:18
Actually my father bought Gandolfi from the two brothers and continued to design cameras and parts until he died in 1997 having already become partners with Sir Kenneth Corfield some time before. After my father (Brian Gould) died there was noone to continue with his designs and not the market share to introduce a new designer. I don't usually comment but felt it unfair for my father's role in the Gandolfi name not to be included.

Thanks for that, I must have met and talked with your father a few times at trade shows etc, that was a very hopeful period for Gandolfi. I had planned to buy a 10x8 when I had the cash, I bought a 300mm Nikon M with that in mind around 1997 but it was another 7 or 8 years before I bought my first 10x8 camera.

Before your father bought the company there hadn't really been any new designs since the late 19th Century, except to update follow general design/standards set by others.

Sadly the market actually picked up after your fathers death and their where 3 or 4 UK manufacturers of LF cameras, it's back to just Walker cameras now.

Ian

Greg Blank
11-Jun-2011, 15:28
Not so sure. I think its nice to have out of the box things, but the more I think analytically about the nuts and bolts of photo... I realize I could create anything. Or; modify anything in the process - with enough time and money. Maybe its just me ~:^D then I guess we are saying the same thing!

The fact the company lasted so long was a quirk, the old boys lived in a home made time capsule. While Sir Kenneth Corfield oversaw the revival of Gandolfi it had a future but sadly thats no more.

Ian