PDA

View Full Version : No flash sync?

cyrus
5-May-2011, 13:10
Ok seriously now, there's no flash sync on this camera? I have no idea what that thing is sticking out next to the lens! How do you connect a flash to this? :confused:

Marc B.
5-May-2011, 13:40
Maybe you don't have a flash sync on that lens, because it looks like a lens in barrel, not a lens in shutter. Does the camera have a Packard shutter? If it does have a Packard, that pin might be to change to the other shutter speed.

cyrus
5-May-2011, 13:53
Maybe you don't have a flash sync on that lens, because it looks like a lens in barrel, not a lens in shutter. Does the camera have a Packard shutter?

No shutter; the single speed shutter is in the body of the camera, sort of like a focal plane shutter. I thought little that post sticking out next to the lens was some sort of ancient flash connection. I still have no idea what that is and I've stumped the folks at Adorama too :rolleyes:

Gowland's own description (http://www.petergowland.com/camera/history/) of the camera suggests there is a flash connection somewhere: "During this 1/50th part of a second, flash contact is made, center shutter part moves to the right, closing the opening."

Sevo
5-May-2011, 14:46
Something there must be the sync contact - unfortunately US makers had a tendency to use rather odd ones rather than the internationally standard PC socket. Are there two adjacent slots that look like an archaic wall socket anywhere on the camera? Or holes that might fit a banana or phone jack?

cyrus
5-May-2011, 16:48
Yes! On the side there is something that looks like a banana jack plug

Leigh
5-May-2011, 19:34
Yes! On the side there is something that looks like a banana jack plug
That looks like a socket for an "RCA Phono Plug".

Those connectors were quite popular in the 1950's and 1960's, being used primarily for audio cabling. They're still used for that purpose.

They're very inexpensive, and can handle reasonably high voltage as would be needed for flash systems of that vintage.

It would be nice to use an adapter cable with a male RCA plug on one end and a female PC connector on the other. This would leave the camera unchanged.

Any camera repair shop could make one. Buy a PC extension cord (male on one end female on the other) and have them change the male to the RCA plug.

- Leigh

cyrus
5-May-2011, 20:18
So you think that's the flash socket? Hmm. then what's the thing sticking out in the front of the camera? If I can't figure out what it is I may just use it to hang a lens shade

Leigh
5-May-2011, 20:25
then what's the thing sticking out in the front of the camera?
The object on the front would have only a single contact (if it had an electrical function at all). A flash sync requires two contacts.

Does the thing on the front move? I would suspect it's the shutter release.

No advantage to putting a flash sync connector on the front of the camera.

- Leigh

Marc B.
5-May-2011, 21:30
Is the post on the front of the camera removable; Does it pull straight out?
If so, that may change the speed on a Packard Shutter.

A couple of links that may be of help.
http://mysite.verizon.net/fowler/photo/packard3.htm
http://www.petergowland.com/camera/orderinfo/

Frank Petronio
5-May-2011, 23:42
A lot of flashes use Monosync connectors, there is probably a Paramount cord ready made for it.

You could always look inside the camera, look for wires....

Steve Smith
6-May-2011, 00:00
Those connectors were quite popular in the 1950's and 1960's, being used primarily for audio cabling. They're still used for that purpose.

And they are the worst audio connector ever invented as the centre pin makes contact before the ground so if you insert it into a live input, you get a buzz until the ground connects.

Steve.

cyrus
6-May-2011, 07:13
No the front thing does not pull out, rotate or otherwise move in any way. It is set pretty solid. It isn't a shutter release - the shutter cocking and release mechanism along with the focus mechanism, are on the side opposite what we assume is the flash connection (see photo) It is also not involved with a Packard shutter because this camera has an internal, focal plane shutter that can't be "turned off". Gowland would not have designed this camera to use a Packard.

awldune
6-May-2011, 10:45
If you have a soldering iron, it should be easy to wire a PC-phono adapter. You can get phono connectors with solder lugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Phono-Plug-Switchcraft/dp/B000SOFQKC

If you don't have a soldering iron, then any sort of repair technician should be able to do the work for you.

awldune
6-May-2011, 10:56
Looking at the front of the camera, there is a lever sticking out to the right side of the lens. Presumably this is either for focusing or stopping down the aperture.

The mysterious metal post seems to be in line with this, so I assume it acts as a "stop" for infinity focus or fully open/closed aperture.

That is to say, its purpose is most likely to prevent the lever from rotating past that point.

Leigh
6-May-2011, 11:16
That is to say, its purpose is most likely to prevent the lever from rotating past that point.
That makes good sense. :)

- Leigh

cyrus
6-May-2011, 11:17
Tthe lever is for setting aperture. It doesn't reach around far enough to be stopped by the mystery post.
I got a 3.5mm mono to mono 10ft cord to connect the to an Alienbees white lightening . Hopefully it will work!

Marc B.
6-May-2011, 23:46
I suppose, "the post" if it is an aperture stop, could be "brought into play" if the lens was remounted/rotated in it's mount on the lens board.
I don't know how much information (if any), could be gathered from contacting Peter Gowland's website, as he passed away in March of 2010, at the age of 93.
Cyrus, I'm sorry, I didn't research that on my earlier post suggestion.

cyrus
7-May-2011, 22:57
I certainly appreciate it nonetheless