PDA

View Full Version : To LF or not to LF on vacation

BetterSense
5-May-2011, 08:44
In July, I will be visiting my family in OH for a week. I'm kind of thinking out loud on what equipment to bring. Despite what people say about equipment not mattering, I find that equipment choice has a major impact on photographic motivation, and vice versa. I also find that complicated equipment choices totally confound my flow, which is why I'm thinking about this ahead of time. I need to simplify my LF kit, or just leave it at home. This is made worse because I don't have a good LF kit tailored for travel.

Normally these trips are great because rural OH can provide some good photos. But since I'm visiting my family, there will be a lot of family/outdoor activity/kid photos but also, when I'm able to get away by myself, landscape/still life/portrait LF photos. The problem with bringing LF is that it's not very useful for the first category, so I have to bring at least some 35mm gear anyway.

I'm trying to avoid the temptation just to leave ALL my LF gear at home. Here's all my photo-gear:

Tripods: monstrous surveying tripod/3047 head which I use for LF, and a cheap Slik tripod which works fine for 35mm, medium format, and maybe the speed graphic. Maybe.

35mm: Plenty of gear. Very versatile, but I hate 35mm for "serious" pictures. The good thing is I can bring miles of film and never worry about running out or having to change film holders. I can either leave the tripods at home or do very well with the lightweight Slik tripod.

My complicated, unportable Large format gear:

Lenses: 135, 150, 210mm lenses, but only one working shutter between them. I also have a 90mm lens with a frozen shutter.

Compact/lightweight box camera--the box camera has a dedicated 90mm lens because it's not practical to remove the lens from the focusing helical in the field. This camera is fairly usable with the cheap Slik tripod.

Pacemaker speed graphic--I love 4x5 negatives, but my speed graphic tends to frustrate me for landscape because of no movements. A good MF would honestly be better because you still wouldn't have movements but at least would have increased DOF. There's always the option of throwing on the 90mm and stopping down, but is this really worth bringing the camera, when I have a dedicated 90mm box camera that is much smaller/lighter?

Calumet CC400 monorail--because of no FP shutter, I don't have a 90mm lens and have to shuffle the lens elements into my working shutter. If I bring this camera, I have to bring my giant surveying tripod.

All in all, I know that my equipment is going to frustrate my photography, because it's too complicated for travel. I need to do one of three things, before my trip. I can get a good field camera with movements, and a compact, quality tripod, which would probably cost nearly a thousand dollars. Or I could get a medium format SLR with a basic lens kit, and I could just bring that, use my Slik tripod and dispense with LF. This might be slightly cheaper but not much. Failing either of those, as it is, I'm seriously considering just going with 35mm, which wouldn't cost anything, but sure seems like a waste of an opportunity.

Ed Kelsey
5-May-2011, 08:56
Is this a question? Or are you just discovering what you already know?

BetterSense
5-May-2011, 09:02
Like I said, I'm kind of thinking out loud. In the past, I have always said that there is no point to medium format, because 35mm is more versatile, and LF is higher quality. Once the camera is on a tripod, you might as well use LF. Well, now I guess I'm wondering why I should even have LF stuff, when my kit is so unweildy for travel. And buying yet another LF camera just to have a setup suitable for travel seems like throwing good money after bad. It seems just as easy to get a hasselblad or RB67 kit or something. But then, you still don't have movements, so why not just load up a 35mm body with Acros and forsake the whole big-neg thing entirely? You see, this conflict is harming my photography.

David Aimone
5-May-2011, 09:03
IMHO, FWIW, I would go for the medium format SLR if family activities dominate; the field camera if family activities are secondary. If I had to go with 35mm, I'd just bring my Nikon D90...

I need to do one of three things, before my trip. I can get a good field camera with movements, and a compact, quality tripod, which would probably cost nearly a thousand dollars. Or I could get a medium format SLR with a basic lens kit, and I could just bring that, use my Slik tripod and dispense with LF. This might be slightly cheaper but not much. Failing either of those, as it is, I'm seriously considering just going with 35mm, which wouldn't cost anything, but sure seems like a waste of an opportunity.

Gem Singer
5-May-2011, 09:16
If you're traveling by plane, forget the LF and 35mm outfits. Take a digicam and avoid the hassle.

If by auto, take the minimum LF equipment you can pack. There might be some interesting scenes to photograph along the way.

tgtaylor
5-May-2011, 09:20
If it was me I'd take my Toyo 45CF, Gitzo GT0540 tripod and G1177M head, a couple of lens, a box or two of film (color and B&W), Harrison Pup Tent, spot meter, and 5 or 6 film holders.

All of the above will fit in a small rucksack or shoulder bag.

Jack Dahlgren
5-May-2011, 09:32
Bring the speed and shoot portraits. Ohio will be around for a while. The kids and family won't.

Brian Ellis
5-May-2011, 10:06
I'd bring whatever will work best for the family stuff and use it for whatever else you see as well. Some excellent photographs have actually been made over the years with gear other than large format.

Frank Petronio
5-May-2011, 10:11
It's Ohio. Why are you worrying at all?

Vaughn
5-May-2011, 10:29
I suggest the Pacemaker and the 35mm. The pacemaker does have a little front tilt, so just look for landscapes that will work with the camera instead of the other way around. There are an infinite number of possible landscape images, so the camera 's limited movements will not limit the possibilities. But I would look for a used tripod for Pacemaker, or just be very careful on the Silk.

And you don't need movements for portraits. My feeling is that family will always be around (but constantly changing, of course) and recorded by others with digital wonders. But to slow things down a little and doing individual and group images with the 4x5 will be unique and memorial in this day and age. A chance to be creative rather than reactive to the moment.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun!

Vaughn

BetterSense
5-May-2011, 10:39
If it was me I'd take my Toyo 45CF, Gitzo GT0540 tripod and G1177M head, a couple of lens, a box or two of film (color and B&W), Harrison Pup Tent, spot meter, and 5 or 6 film holders.
If I had that kit, that's what I would bring too. I either need to mobilize my LF kit, or buy a medium format kit. Or get more used to shooting 35mm...I don't do digital.

36cm2
5-May-2011, 10:40
Just to round out the very consistent advice: stay home, build a 20x24 ULF out of matchsticks while listening to that Pretenders song over and over again and tell your family that if they want to see you they know where to find you. ;)

eddie
5-May-2011, 10:42
Not very helpful for you but my travel kit is a chamonix 45 with two small shuttered lenses 5 film holders and I buy a cheap light throw away tripod at goodwill. This is what I had with me in tonopah for galli's function. AND the kit and all my clothes fit in my regular sized carry on bag..... One bag!

jp
5-May-2011, 10:56
You could probably do a speed graphic with a 150 lens, cheap tripod, iso400 film. Should be useful for enough different things. If it's sunny, you can get away without a tripod if you don't need precise to-the-inch focusing. That's how it was used as a press camera.

While it shouldn't be necessary, you can apparently lower the bed and raise the lens on a speed graphic to have downward tilt. Or shoot the camera upside down using a side tripod mount mounted sideways on the tripod. Then your up-tilt will be down-tilt.

If you're allowed think out loud, I will too. 120 TLR. Good for casual people photos and smaller landscape scenes.

William McEwen
5-May-2011, 10:59
Bring the speed and shoot portraits. Ohio will be around for a while. The kids and family won't.

I can't argue with that.

falth j
5-May-2011, 11:00
Hmmnn..

Ohio?

Where? :confused:

Would you mind sharing photo locations after you've visted Hocking Hills, Cuyahoga Valley Recreation Area, Ashtabula's covered bridges and photographed the burning river? :)

Ari
5-May-2011, 11:01
Compact/lightweight box camera--the box camera has a dedicated 90mm lens because it's not practical to remove the lens from the focusing helical in the field. This camera is fairly usable with the cheap Slik tripod.

I think you gave the answer right there.

ic-racer
5-May-2011, 11:24
Now I live in Ohio and would vacation to Texas :) . In that case, if the family were with me I'd bring only :
a) Camera
b) single lens (your 135mm would be nice)
c) Loaded film holders and tripod.

Too much gear will just bog you down. For me, I get more good shots with a simpler setup. If you have too many lenses, or format options with you, you will always think your "other lens or camera" at the house or trunk will be better :)

Roger Thoms
5-May-2011, 12:01
I suggest the Pacemaker and the 35mm. The pacemaker does have a little front tilt, so just look for landscapes that will work with the camera instead of the other way around. There are an infinite number of possible landscape images, so the camera 's limited movements will not limit the possibilities. But I would look for a used tripod for Pacemaker, or just be very careful on the Silk.

And you don't need movements for portraits. My feeling is that family will always be around (but constantly changing, of course) and recorded by others with digital wonders. But to slow things down a little and doing individual and group images with the 4x5 will be unique and memorial in this day and age. A chance to be creative rather than reactive to the moment.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun!

Vaughn

This is pretty much what I was thinking, especially part about getting a tripod for the Speed Graphic.

Roger

Roger

jp
5-May-2011, 12:09
Of course, now that we're shopping for a tripod, I need a backup chorus to suggest a tiltall. I'll be a bit off key and suggest any tiltall, while others will strictly suggest a marchioni or leitz.

A monopod is also a valid option. I've traveled with speed graphic + monopod. You can use it places tripods are impractical or where it's crowded (probably not Ohio). As long as it's foot stays in place, it keeps the camera positioned for accurate focus. Composition is verified with the optical or sport finders.

Fred L
5-May-2011, 14:08
last time I visited the in laws in Melbourne, Australia I took my Leica MP, three or four lenses, an Xpan and the Mamiya 7. Next time I head back, it'll just be a Mamiya 6 and the Xpan. Wouldn't think of hauling LF and dealing with airport hassles even though the country would hold a wealth of photographs for 7x17 ;)

So basically I wouldn't rule out MF.

David Low
5-May-2011, 15:04
My own preference for travelling lately has been MF, with me just taking along a Rollei 120 TLR. Take plenty of film, a few filters, no need for spare lens (not interchangable) and while there are no movements you have portability and a quality of image not too far from LF. And if you can carry a decent lightweight tripod and use FP4 or better then even better.
And most important it won't dominate your holiday or upset your family by getting in the way.

Noah A
5-May-2011, 15:14
It's up to you really but for me it works out like this:

Work trip: Pelican rolling carryon case with TK45S, a few big lenses and 10 holders. Tripod and 10 more holders in checked bag. Film in a tiny messenger bag to carry on.

Vacation somewhere where I may want a serious photo (for my agency or exhibition):
Domke satchel with a mamiya 7 and two lenses.

Vacation that's purely for fun: Digital P&S. I may pick up a better digital P&S with a bigger sensor or maybe a micro 4:3 camera, since in a pinch those can make decent pictures.

John Kasaian
5-May-2011, 17:20
If you've got a Speeder or Crown it might be fun. I took one to Hawaii on a family vacation and had a blast prowling around in the early morning for preWW2 architectural details (& Starbucks.) One the afternoon I took it to the beach and was instantly popular (and thats sayin' somethin'---Fabio I ain't) Polaroid instant film is made for this sort of stuff---too bad it's gone :(

hiroki
6-May-2011, 02:38
I travel frequently by plane and motorcycle. I usually decide depending on weather conditions, subjects and company.

First of all, though, I'd like to point out that travelling with LF gear on the plane is not a problem. Of course you will need to take out some lenses for separte x-raying at the security check, but that happened to me with MF SLR and 35mm SLR gear, too. It's something I got used to, it's a routine and I don't think too much about it. Just takes an extra 5mins at the security check.

I mainly differenciate between trips with friends/family and trips alone or with photographer friends.
With the former I tend to only bring portable gear, that does not require a tripod at all times. For me that would be my Rolleiflex 6008. A MF SLR.
When travelling alone or with ambitious photographers like me, I often (most of the time) travel with my Technikardan 45s. Depending on what subjects I intend to shoot, I sometimes bring both, TK45s and Rollei. When I expect to shoot street, people, moving subjects then - even when travelling alone - I only bring the Rollei. But most of the time I shoot static subjects like architecture, street scenes, landscape, cityscapes. For that I only bring the LF gear.

Also, when travelling with lots of photo gear (in my case: both LF + MF) on the plane, I (obviously) need to put all the sensitive gear in my carry-on luggage. So far, only one check-in assistant dared pointing out that my carry-on was a bit on the big & heavy side. That was on a cheap China Airlines flight from Tokyo NRT to Taipei TPE. I just asked whether the airlines insurance would cover any damage to my lenses, etc, in case I decide to check them in. She gave in instantly ;-) But this only happened once so far, once among more than 70 flights in the past 5 years. So don't be afraid :) well, that is of course unless you travel with super-cheap discout airlines like easyJet, Ryanair and the likes.

Have a pleasant & safe trip!

richard brown
6-May-2011, 11:22
I am exhausted.... sitting in the south of france near aix en provence with a ton of gear or at least 50+lbs..... and loving it. Using my D700 digital most of the time but last night there was this amazing evening light casting shadows upon a 12thC church near Lourmarin and to pull out the ebony 45S and a little Feisol tripod was such a joy. Tomorrow I am off to a monastery 16 centuries old in the harbour of Cannes and i hope to have permission to do some black and white negs there. Next week it is 8 days in Paris and plan to use the large format more there. It has been a pain to drag
the extra weight around and i could have brought a hasselblad and a couple of lenses
but I look at the shots i did on 4x5 in italy and guatemala and knew that i had to drag it along. Mind you, the aging process has to be considered but it sure builds muscles hauling around the weight!
The final result can not be duplicated any other way..... it just feels good to use such a fine instrument and create something that will hopefully be special to me and maybe to a few friends. Now I must rest.
Happy in France

BetterSense
14-Jun-2011, 08:24
Well, I went and bought an RB67 kit, with 3 lenses and 2 backs. It has a nice case, but it's really not any smaller or lighter than my speed graphic! I honestly don't think it will work much better on my cheap tripod either. That's the downside of having to buy everything over the internet nowadays. If I bring my speed graphic, I can shoot up my IR film.

Darren H
14-Jun-2011, 09:33
Well, I went and bought an RB67 kit, with 3 lenses and 2 backs. It has a nice case, but it's really not any smaller or lighter than my speed graphic! I honestly don't think it will work much better on my cheap tripod either. That's the downside of having to buy everything over the internet nowadays. If I bring my speed graphic, I can shoot up my IR film.

Congratz on the RB!

Have fun on the trip.

Diane Maher
14-Jun-2011, 16:59
I have done LF for work trips and on vacation, but it is only me that is going on vacation. I have taken my whole plate camera, three small lenses, three holders, box of film and empty box of film for switching out sheets. All that went into a laptop bag. I checked my tripod.

It just depends on so many factors that everyone here is going to tell you a different story.

munz6869
14-Jun-2011, 22:22
Every July I head overseas for holidays, and for the last three years, and shortly, have dragged a 4x5" and my Rolleiflex along, for "best of all worlds" coverage of stuff. I have the MOST fun printing the 4x5's when I get home, and that's the payoff for the weight and inconvenience. This year I'm taking along a little Fuji P&S medium format camera as well, as an experiment/spare!!

Marc!

adam satushek
15-Jun-2011, 20:27
Yeah, I have come to the realization that I can't travel anywhere overnight (by car or plane) with out my 4x5 kit. In a thinktank airport acceleration v2 I jam a sinar F, spot meter, loupes, 15 holders, 6 lenses (90mm-450mm)..etc. The pack fits nicely in the overhead bin, and I check my gitzo 415, and in my suit case I stuff my tripod head, extra bellows, extra rail, dark cloth and shadowbox change tent.....I even have a bit of of space left for a few clothes :) . If traveling by car, i bring the same gear, but usually my gitzo 1504 and a ladder. Don't think im capable of traveling light......i may run out of clean clothes to wear on a trip.....but not gear....