PDA

View Full Version : Graflex RB Series D help needed

rcdurston
5-May-2011, 07:21
I'm trying to follow along at http://graflex.org/RBGraflex/ to set the camera for an exposure but on the site under "Setting the Curtain Aperture" the ten steps listed, look like they are missing steps 2 and 3. As well the little jpg of the camera side showing the legend of all the controls is cut off so you can't see four of the controls names.
I'm having trouble trying to set and re set the curtain aperture. I've recorded a short video of what I'm talking about. I'm trying to turn the "A" aperture control counter clockwise but I don't want to force it. I've tried reseting it with the "M" lever but it seems to do nothing either.
Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtuodiYGZow
Thanks
Rob

Jon Shiu
5-May-2011, 08:04
The knob is winding against spring tension, so maybe just need to wind harder.

Jon

Jim Noel
5-May-2011, 08:05
If my old brain remembers correctly the control you are attempting to turn clockwise, only turns counter clockwise. When you release the shutter, it must be reset to the desired aperture. It is also missing a handle to turn it. You should not have to use a screw driver.

rcdurston
5-May-2011, 08:17
Hi Jon, it turn maybe an 1/8 of a turn then almost seems like it is just jammed. It almost feels like it has already been turned and just needs to fire or the tension released but when I press the shutter release it just activates the mirror and the "M" lever doesn't do anything.

Hey Jim, I've been attempting to turn it counterclockwise (anti clockwise).

Jon Shiu
5-May-2011, 08:25
Hi, look at the little window to see if it is already wound up. O is the lowest setting, but it can go a little past that when release all the way. The way it works is you can keep winding the curtain until the highest setting, then when you release via the M lever it will release each time you pull the M lever until it goes down to O, or actually a little past O.

Jon

rcdurston
5-May-2011, 08:28
It is showing "0" in the window. Where do I go from here?
thanks

rcdurston
5-May-2011, 08:49
I put away the precision screwdriver and got a larger one. A little extra force brought the "T" in the window and a few more turns and it went around to show the "1/8" mark. It still won't fire the shutter though.
grrr
Rob

rcdurston
5-May-2011, 08:53
The "M" lever just rocks back and forth, it doesn't seem connected inside.

Jon Shiu
5-May-2011, 09:20
Okay, sounds like the M lever has a problem. I would recommend getting in touch with Bert Saunders (search at graflex.org), he can walk you through the repair if you want to try it yourself, or repair it for a reasonable price.

Jon

Sirius Glass
5-May-2011, 14:29
+1

Steve

rknewcomb
7-May-2011, 07:49
Has it ever fired correctly since you've had it? If you're having that much trouble in changing the curtain aperture, then it is probably dirty and gummed up - should not be that hard. The winding lever is probably missing because someone tried to turn it with force rather then clean and lubricate things.
And yes, as you change the curtain aperture setting the lever does sort of stop with a click at the set aperture before proceeding on to the next.
The screws that hold on the film back are easy to remove. Some are accessed by rotating the back part way between vertical and horizontal - you'll see the screws after you rotate the back part way. Nothing special about them. I suggest that you remove the back and see how much dirt is built up inside. Brush out some of the old dirt. Put one drop of lite oil in each of the bearing points for the rollers that the curtain runs on.
That would be sort of a mini CLA.
Robert

jnantz
7-May-2011, 14:31
i'm probably wrong, but it sounds to me that the metal "edges" on your shutter curtain
are bent and have jammed up your shutter.

i would also suggest you call bert. he is the best !

good luck !
john

Sirius Glass
7-May-2011, 17:14
+ 2

rcdurston
7-May-2011, 17:32
I've sent it back home. Still looking for a fast, quick 4x5 for portraits and landscapes. If anyone knows of something please let me know. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and replies.
Rob
http://www.durstonphoto.com/

brianjnelson
7-May-2011, 22:18
Gowlandflex!