PDA

View Full Version : RHS Camera?

joelc_64
4-May-2011, 19:42
HI there;

I picked up an unbadged wooden tailboard camera....I've managed to find a couple images of cameras that have the same hardware that are badged RHS, but no information beyond that...anyone have any information on this? I've patched the corners with black RTV, but still wrap the bellows with black satin before putting the holder in. Before I got it someone decided to spray it all grey....I've built it a lensboard that lets me use boards from my Graphic View instead of the Packard and Kodak shown in pics.
Thanks

Brian Ellis
4-May-2011, 20:28
Never heard of an RHS camera (which doesn't mean much, I'm not a collector or greatly interested in old cameras). It actually reminds me a lot of an Agfa Ansco camera I had years ago but since I no longer have that camera I can't compare. I wonder what possessed someone to spray the whole thing, hardware and all, gray.

joelc_64
4-May-2011, 21:14
It's very similar to the Agfa Ansco...but the front is built differently and the hardware is different....there's a post in this forum about a guy with a double tailboard RHS camera that he restored.....RHS was an east coast camera supplier...I'm guessing that someone else may have made the camera and then RHS sold it under their name.

Kris Bochenek
20-Sep-2013, 20:37
this is what it looks like. 102173

Kris Bochenek
20-Sep-2013, 20:38
I am now actually re considering fixing the lens. Its slow at all speeds and it has a bit of separation at the edges.

Kirk Fry
20-Sep-2013, 22:03
You can make your own lens boards. Tap Plastics sells flat, black, 1/8 in or 1/16 polycarbonate and will cut it for you to the correct size. You can use a hole drill attachment to cut the hole. They come in all sizes. You can use plywood too.

Jody_S
21-Sep-2013, 06:14
I have a 5x7 one that I bought from a member here, a couple months ago. I initially thought it was a Burke & James, from the hardware on the front standard, and the horrible battleship grey paint. However, when I got the camera, I realized the movements are nowhere near as smooth as a B&J, and the rear hardware is different. I quickly realized that I also had an 'RHS', whatever that may be. I don't know if they were manufacturers or distributors, but it appears to be a cheap knock-off of 1950s commercial view cameras. The bellows are not as good as the red B&Js, unfortunately, so I also am forced to drape a dark cloth over the camera when shooting.

John Kasaian
21-Sep-2013, 07:16
Wood lens boards around here cost a "pretty please," some Baltic birch plywood the correct thickness, and about what a dozen Krispy Crème doughnuts cost. The wood shop teacher at your local high school can make them for you if you provide the right motivation.

Jim Andrada
22-Sep-2013, 21:46
If they still have such things as wood shops and wood shop teachers at high schools...

Definitely not an Agfa Ansco as the tailboard tracks look different and the Anscos I've seen didn't have a groove in the side of the bed.