PDA

View Full Version : Using Large Format Lens on DSLR for slide copying

Rider
3-May-2011, 08:50
I have a Nikkor 135mm macro lens (the one that just covers 4x5 at infinity).

Are you aware of any adapters that would allow this lens to be attached to a DSLR (specifically a Nikon), and if so would that be a good lens for copying slides?

Mike Anderson
3-May-2011, 09:18
Rather than going through the contortions of mounting a large format lens to a DSLR, if you're using a Nikon DSLR I'd consider a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 AI macro (or as Nikon labels them "micro") lens which is extremely sharp and extremely cheap (around $50 for a good-excellent one).

...Mike

Ken Lee
3-May-2011, 09:30
What Mike said.

A lens designed to cover 4x5 at infinity will not compete favorably with a lens which only has to cover a small sensor or 35mm film - at least not a lens priced for consumers.

That lens will probably cover more than 8x10 at 1:1 - which is a lot of real estate - but I would be surprised if it got 2/3 of what a DSLR Macro lens can get - even in its center of coverage.

Bob Salomon
3-May-2011, 09:54
As long as it is in a 0 shutter Novoflex makes an adapter board for their BALPRO 1 and BALPRO T/S bellows that would let you use it on any 35mm SLR, DSLR, Leica RF, Hasselblad, Mamiya 645, Pentax 645 or Contax 645 camera. Also, with these bellows, and the proper adapter, you can use any lens from virtually any 35 or DSLR camera, most MF lenses, Leica M mount lenses, C mount lenses, M42 lenses or microscope optics. In addition, a shift adapter can be addede to the back for stitching. But with this adapter you can not use the MF camera bodies.

Rider
3-May-2011, 10:15
if you're using a Nikon DSLR I'd consider a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 AI macro (or as Nikon labels them "micro") lens which is extremely sharp and extremely cheap (around $50 for a good-excellent one).

...Mike

Mike-do you know if that one goes to 1:1? Do you prefer it to the various non-AI versions?

Mike Anderson
3-May-2011, 11:15
Mike-do you know if that one goes to 1:1? Do you prefer it to the various non-AI versions?

It won't go 1:1 without an extension tube. I think the later pre-AI versions are the same optically, but I don't think they mount on most Nikon DSLRs.

...Mike

Oren Grad
3-May-2011, 11:16
FWIW, Bjorn Rorslett has some observations on the relative merits of the different versions of the 55mm and 60mm Micro-Nikkor here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html

toolbox
3-May-2011, 11:48
You could do something like this...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/toolbox007/Kodak%20Astigmat/032W9984.jpg

Not LF, but MF (off a Kodak folder). Easily reaches infinity, and makes an excellent macro lens--

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/toolbox007/Kodak%20Astigmat/IMG_8495.jpg

That said, it would be a lot easier to just do as suggested above and get a Nikon macro lens. Tubes are cheap too if you need more extension (bellow is probably pretty cheap too).

Rider
3-May-2011, 12:05
It won't go 1:1 without an extension tube. I think the later pre-AI versions are the same optically, but I don't think they mount on most Nikon DSLRs.

...Mike

I don't recall, but maybe there are extension tubes that accept non-AI lenses.