PDA

View Full Version : Graflex RB Series D Newbie questions

rcdurston
3-May-2011, 02:52
I just picked up a Graflex RB with a Schneider Xenar 210 mm f3.5. I have used LF all my life but this but this will be my first experience with LF SLR. I would have preferred a Super D but I feel this is a good starting point.
Just wondering if anyone has some tips and suggestions for it? I plan on using it mostly for portraits and maybe some landscape stuff. I have a big daylight studio to play around with. Wondering if it is worth it to pick up a roll film back for it or just shoot sheet film.

Ideas?

Also does anyone have a contact for repairs in the UK, just in case.
thanks
Rob

Louis Pacilla
3-May-2011, 06:30
Hi Rob

You may want to check this site out. All about Graflex cameras.

Go Here: http://www.graflex.org/

rcdurston
3-May-2011, 06:40
Thanks Louis
I've read the site over before. Some good info. I'm looking for more of a kickstart into it all; what to avoid, cool techniques etc. I'll probably run through some paper negatives first to try it all out then move on to b&w film and colour neg.
thanks
Rob

jnantz
3-May-2011, 06:45
hi rob

you might notice that when the film is set to "landscape" rather than "portrait"
orientation, that the sides of your view may be clipped off. it might be just mine,
but it is something to think about when you make exposures. also, don't forget to
replace your darkslide when you crank your shutter again for an exposure.
i have mistakenly exposed film that way more times than i want to admit ...
find yourself a few bag-mags or a grafmatic back that can work with your
back, they will allow you to load up 12 sheets and not have to have 6 holders.

i shoot both 4x5 sheets and roll film with my series d. its a great camera
and while it looks clunky and awkward .. it is perfectly balanced ..

good luck!
john

rcdurston
3-May-2011, 06:52
Thanks John,
I'll keep that all in mind.
I'd love to have a few grafmatic backs but we have 8 dogs and 10 cats and live on a farm, dust and hair like you have never seen. I wish they still made readyload films. Thats another reason for me looking at roll film backs, I just find them easier to keep dust free.

rob

Martin Miksch
3-May-2011, 07:00
for rollfilm buy a Mamiya RB

rcdurston
3-May-2011, 07:09
I miss my old RZ and still wish I had one.