PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Bring And How Much Does It Weigh?

Drew Bedo
1-May-2011, 15:34
What do you bring to shoot with when you are away from home? Assume you will walk less than two miles from the car. (In my case, MUCH less)

My Kit:
Total weight is 21 pounds.
• Camera 4x5 Zone VI (Wista made single extension model)
• Lenses 90mm, 150mm, 210mm
• Tripod Velbon CF with a magnesium alloy BH
• Meters Minolta Autometer IV F, Minolta Spotmeter F
• Film 12 4x5 film holders
• Gear BTZS hood, loupe, measuring tape, filters, etc.
It all goes in an older model LowePro bag designed in the ‘70s for 35mm photojournalism—with the dividers removed.
What do you bring along and what does it weigh?

engl
1-May-2011, 17:53
I'm without a large format camera at the moment, I just sold my MPP 4x5 to move to a lighter and more capable setup.

The kit I'm going for is:
Chamonix 4x5 camera
Fujinon 75/5.6, 125/5.6 and 240/9 lenses
Feisol CT-3442 CF tripod with Arca Swiss P0 (inverted ballhead)
Compact digital camera with extra battery as meter
Compact strong umbrella (for shielding camera, mostly from wind, also works for sun and rain)
Dark cloth, cable release, loupe etc.
All packed in a LowePro Mini-Trekker

With 5 holders, the list above ends up at around 14-15 pounds, but number of holders I bring varies.

eric black
1-May-2011, 17:55
I prefer to be a bit more of a pack-mule- Im a big guy so it doesnt tax me too much. Ill typically carry an Arca 4x5, compendium, 10 film holders, 4-5 lenses (unless I know exactly what Im after where it could be as few as 1 lens). Gitzo, 1325 tripod, Arca B1 head and other misc backpacking items Lowepro Super Trekker backpack) usually has my pack at around 40-45 lbs. Ill carry this weight for up to about 10-12 miles. Anything further or with lots of elevation gain, Ill strip down to a lower limit of about 25 llbs with a single lens guessing or knowing exactly what I want.

ic-racer
1-May-2011, 18:16
Not a strong as you guys:

Shen Hao 8x10
one lens on Technica board
cable release
meter
2 or 3 film holders
darkcloth
tripod

The above weighs me down pretty good.

Leigh
1-May-2011, 19:09
My 23-pound 4x5 kit is in an f.64 BPX backpack and includes:
Toko field camera
eleven lenses
two exposure meters (incident & spot)
lens accessories (filters, hoods, etc.)
misc stuff (focusing loupe, cable release, etc.)

The 36 filmholders are in separate packs (3 pounds per pack of 6), not included in the above weight.
The two tripods are also not included.

I'm seldom far from the van due to mobility problems.

- Leigh

NicolasArg
1-May-2011, 19:45
I have all my equipment in an excel spreadsheet along with the individual weights.
Al the recent multi day journeys were done with (grams):
Toyo 45A-2528
Schneider SA 90f8 mounted on a homemade carbon fiber board-402
Schneider 210mm f5.6 mounted on an aluminum board-580
5 holders-920
Graflex 6x9 back-534
Large plastic container for the camera and the lenses-536
Small container for the holders and filters-130
SUBTOTAL=5630
Canon 5Dmk1-936
Zuiko 28mm-178
Zuiko 200mm+TC2x-674
SUBTOTAL=1788
Filters and holders-100
Manfrotto 190xprob+head-2352
TOTAL-9870
This is the photo kit I carried during the last months for up to 6-10 days on trek.
The camping gear equipment varies a lot, but the main items are pretty much the same:
Tent- 1500
Down sleeping bag-2000
The cooking system, the cloth, etc all depend on the season and route but go from an ultralight tuna can stove and just some simple clothing to a full size MSR stove and full winter gear, the same goes for the food. Usually it sums about 10 to 13 additional kilos.
I pack all this in a 70 lt tubular mountain backpack
Almost forgot, I'm using a series 3 Gitzo now instead of the Xprob.
P.S. I didn't include film and minor stuff like flashlight, knife, etc for the same reason- the volume and weight of all that equipment depend on the route I'm doing.

Michael Kadillak
1-May-2011, 19:50
My hiking field camera is a Canham wooden 8x10, five holders, a tripod and head and a Gnass lens case with six lenses along with accessories tips the scale at about 45-50#.

With the hip support strap I am good for a five to six mile round trip at a leisurely pace in the mountains.

On the other end of the spectrum my 28# Deardorff V11 stays within 300 yards of my truck for obvious reasons.

Two23
1-May-2011, 20:57
My 4x5 stuff fits into a medium sized backpack fairly well--Shen Hao, three lenses, meter, holders. When I shoot at night, I use either up to 8 Nikon SB-28 flash or up to seven high powered monolights with a battery pack for each. To haul all that, I use a plastic toboggan and pull it across the snow.

Kent in SD

msk2193
1-May-2011, 21:11
Just looked.... two large back-packs each weighing over 50 pounds and the whole rest of the truck's back compartment!

Yikes; a 4X5, an 8X10, the Mamiya 7ii, three tripods, more film than I know what to do with, changing tent, vacuum cleaner, 9 lenses and 20 holders for the 4X5 and 5 lenses and 5 holders for the 8X10.

That litle Leica on the console sure looks miniscule now!

Now leaving Grand Teton for Arches, then meeting up with others from the Dallas gang in Palo Duro.

Ivan J. Eberle
1-May-2011, 22:17
Found a really neat Black's Creek internal frame pack last year, a "Little Bone Collector 1.5", while in Whitefish, MT last summer. Bought it because it fits my Nikkor 200-400VR inside the main compartment. But mostly I use it for my Meridian 45CE as it has an outside pocket that perfectly fits a box on Quickloads. Almost always have the 90mm, 135mm and 210mm all with me, an old knockabout Manfrotto 3221/Novoflex Classic V ballhead and various and sundry other gear... about 30-35 lbs, I'm guessing.

Craig Griffiths
2-May-2011, 02:01
I guess it depends on the destination for me. I have a 90 lt backpack that fits my 8x20 quite nicely. I take a 355 G Claron and 450 Nikkor M, 2 or 3 film holders, Hrrison Change tent (jumbo) and a box of film.

In addition to this are lightmeter, Fuji GW680III, darkcloth, tripod etc and a few litres of water. All up about 22-23kg.

However if I am heading somewhere where I know I am unlikely to return I will also Carry a Tachihara 8x10 and 5 film holders plus film. This all fits quite nicely and isnt too bad to carry although the weight is fairly high ( 30+ kg although I havent weighed it)

My approach is to take it slow and to have a break when I need it. I am also fairly large myself so in terms of being a proportion of my weight it isnt too bad.

Distance wise, the longest so far is about 5km down into a valley and back up. Must admit that I was a little weary after that trip.

Robert A. Zeichner
2-May-2011, 02:41
I have a couple of different kits that I use, dependent on whether or not I need to fly to my destination. I have a lightweight kit with an Ikeda 4x5, 5 lenses, Pentax digital spot meter, loupe, filter wallet and focusing cloth that with 4 film holders, fits into a compact Tamrac backpack that weighs 15 lbs. loaded. I carry my series 2 Gitzo CF tripod with Acratech head in a separate case that gets checked in the bottom of my rolling duffel.

For driving trips, I usually take my 5x7 Deardorff with either 4x5 or 5x7 back, 6 lenses and the previously mentioned accessories plus around 6 5x7 holders or 8 4x5 holders in a Photobackpacker modified Kelty pack which loaded, weighs around 25 lbs.

In either case, I have some lightweight padded bags that I use for additional holders which I can carry with a shoulder strap or leave in the car if I'm not hiking too far.

I had lost around 23 lbs. as a result of a self-imposed boycott of hash browns and a lot of cycling last summer, so I can report that on my last trip to New England in Sept., the loaded Kelty pack felt like 2 lbs., not to mention that standing up from a squatting position with this load was a hell of a lot easier than on past trips.

Doremus Scudder
2-May-2011, 05:01
The kit I use most weighs in at about 22 pounds. It is divided into a fanny pack, fly-fishing vest and an over the shoulder pouch. I carry:

A Wista DX 4x5 with one lens stored inside.
5 lenses mounted on Technika boards: 90mm f/8 Schneider SA, 135mm Nikkor W, 203mm f/7.7 Ektar, 240mm f/9 Fujinon A, 300mm f/9 Nikkor M
Two sets of 6 filters, 52mm and 67mm in folding cases. A few misc. filters in both sizes.
6-8 filmholders.
Pentax digital 1° spot meter
Homemade Gore-Tex dark cloth
Manfrotto 3025 Tripod w/ a 3205 head.
Misc. accessories.

The camera, lenses and filters fit into the fanny pack, meter and accessories (viewing filter, flashlight, barn doors, etc.) go in the vest pockets, filmholders go in the pouch. The tripod is hand-carried for the most part unless I have to use all fours scrambling, then it gets strapped onto the fanny pack.

The fanny pack has a shoulder strap so I can work out of it like an over-the-shoulder bag. It never touches the ground. The pouch hangs on the tripod for easy access and provides a bit of stability as well. I carry this for day-hikes of up to 15 miles or more. I rarely need more film, but if I think I will, I carry Mido holders and clamshell instead, and can carry 20+ exposures easily.

Link to a photo of the kit in action: http://www.doremusscudder.com/?m=9&s=40

Best,

Doremus Scudder

TheDeardorffGuy
2-May-2011, 07:24
When I go out it usually means my 12x20 Deardorff or 11x14 Deardorff. and a walk of no longer than 50 yards. I'm nearly always walking across a freshly plowed field to shoot antique steam powered farm equipment my son owns. The walking is not easy.
The "kit" is:

12x20 Deardorff at 35lbs
13 inch Wollansak WA in Betax #5 With a DeGroff air piston and air hose.
3 Holders at 5lb. ea?
A Crown #5 Tripod at about 7lb.
BIG darkcloth
The holders, Tripod, Darkcloth fit into a surplus Amo case(7lbs)

The BIGGEST issue here is dust. The amo case has a gasket but you remove them from their ziploc bags when the wind stops blowing! The camera gets this fine coating
of wind blown dirt. Being a Deardorff I can wipe it down at the hotel with a damp washcloth.

Bob McCarthy
2-May-2011, 07:31
You're leaving out the fly rod!!!

Bob

I have all my equipment in an excel spreadsheet along with the individual weights.
Al the recent multi day journeys were done with (grams):
Toyo 45A-2528
Schneider SA 90f8 mounted on a homemade carbon fiber board-402
Schneider 210mm f5.6 mounted on an aluminum board-580
5 holders-920
Graflex 6x9 back-534
Large plastic container for the camera and the lenses-536
Small container for the holders and filters-130
SUBTOTAL=5630
Canon 5Dmk1-936
Zuiko 28mm-178
Zuiko 200mm+TC2x-674
SUBTOTAL=1788
Filters and holders-100
Manfrotto 190xprob+head-2352
TOTAL-9870
This is the photo kit I carried during the last months for up to 6-10 days on trek.
The camping gear equipment varies a lot, but the main items are pretty much the same:
Tent- 1500
Down sleeping bag-2000
The cooking system, the cloth, etc all depend on the season and route but go from an ultralight tuna can stove and just some simple clothing to a full size MSR stove and full winter gear, the same goes for the food. Usually it sums about 10 to 13 additional kilos.
I pack all this in a 70 lt tubular mountain backpack
Almost forgot, I'm using a series 3 Gitzo now instead of the Xprob.
P.S. I didn't include film and minor stuff like flashlight, knife, etc for the same reason- the volume and weight of all that equipment depend on the route I'm doing.

Ole Tjugen
2-May-2011, 08:00
Too much and too much...

Mostly one of three cameras:
4x5" Carbon Infinity and 10 holders, or
7x5" Gandolfi Traditional and 6-10 holders, or
10x8" Gandolfi Precision and 4-6 holders.

And:

Lenses: 47, 58, 65, 72, 90, 120, 150, 165, 180, 210, 240, 300, 355 and 420mm.
I leave everything shorter than the 72 behind when I take a camera larger than 4x5", and swap the 120mm for an 121mm (as the shortest) when I take the 8x10".

And a Stabil Tredel wooden tripod with a hunking great big ballhead on, and a Gossen SBC meter. Maybe the pentax spotmeter too. And usually a 645 folder in a pocket somewhere.

I also tend to bring extra film and a changing bag.

Total weight seems to be fairly constant at around 18kg / 36 lb.

Ray Van Nes
2-May-2011, 08:18
I have three rigs:
1. 2x3 Graphic Century, roll film back, 4 lenses, spotmeter and tripod - 15lbs. This has made up several summits.

2. Chamonix 4x5, 3 or 4 lenses including a 400mm Fujinon, Readyloads or Grafmatic, bits and tripod - 18 -20lbs.

3. 8x10 Wehmann - 4 lenses, 165 Anugulon, 210 Graphic Raptar, 300 NikkorM and 19" Red Dot Artar with a shutter, 3 film holders and other stuff - 25lbs in the pack. The killer is the tripod which weighs another 10lbs.

Now if I could convince my wife to carry the tripod..... Actually, I have no complaint as she often will carry the food and extra clothing - and a book to read while I am shaking my fist at the clouds which are always in the wrong place.

lilmsmaggie
2-May-2011, 08:41
Chamonix 4 x 5
Lenses: 90mm, 135, 210, 350
Tripod: Manfrotto 055X PRO B
Head: Manfrotto 410jr
dark cloth, loupe, Sekonic L-358 meter

Each lens is in its own Photobackpacker LightGear case with lens board and shutter release. The Chamonix is also in its own LightGear case.

Everything plus about 6 film holders (except the tripod & head) fits in a medium sized National Geographic backpack.

Not sure of the weight, but its not terribly heavy.

Peter Gomena
2-May-2011, 08:43
My "light" 4x5 kit is almost exactly the same as the OP's. My "heavy" 4x5 kit carries 3 more lenses and more film holders and is in a big Tamrac padded bag that converts to a bulky backpack. My whole-plate kit is similar to my light 4x5 kit, but the camera weighs more and I add a Zone VI "lightweight" tripod. I don't carry the 4x5 kit more than 2 miles and the whole-plate kit probably half that. I'm getting pretty good at anticipating what size kit I want to take on any particular outing.

Peter Gomena

Ole Tjugen
2-May-2011, 09:11
Lightweight kit - Speed Graphic with iris lens mount, two casket sets, one grafmatic, no tripod. :D

Douglas Henderson
2-May-2011, 09:54
I used to think nothing of hauling a Crown Graphic 4x5 with a half-dozen cut film holders, 2 or 3 lenses, a 398 deluxe light meter, a cheap focusing loupe, a 5lb tripod and food and water enough to walk into Yellowstone 7 miles and back. That was almost 25 years ago--and I've slowed down enough that this would be a real challenge now.

My last major large-format adventure was a few years ago when I took an old Graphic 5x7 with a couple of lenses (Nikkor 180mm and Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N), the same 5lb tripod, same light meter, a nice, long-barreled focusing loupe and 24 (!!!) cut film holders. Six miles down the Yellowstone River trail and back and I staggered out about twilight so exhausted I devoted a few years to just using digital cameras--so light, such immediate results.

I'm making an effort to return to large-format photography in the park--but my range isn't going to be what it once was. My problem isn't really the weight of one camera system--it's trying to take more than one. Add some pinhole cameras, at least one digital wonder, an umbrella and bear spray.

Vaughn
2-May-2011, 10:06
About 60 lbs. Around forty-five pounds in the pack (Zone VI 8x10, 3 or 4 lenses, 5 to 7 holders, water, etc) and about 15 pounds of tripod over my shoulder. That's about 25% of my body weight. I walk/hike as far as I have to.

NicolasArg
2-May-2011, 11:20
You're leaving out the fly rod!!!

Bob

No fish in the small ponds where I like to go :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5256/5533632353_d40996ee2f_z.jpg

Drew Bedo
2-May-2011, 13:37
Douglas:

I hear ya . . .I'm spending the first two weeks of June in colorado with both my 4x5 and 9x10 systems.Loved the hih country when I was 20 . . .but now I'm sixty; blind, deaf and lame. I will not be going far from the car!

Jim Fitzgerald
2-May-2011, 19:09
I'm kind of like Vaughn but I wish I was as big! I've got backpacks for all of my systems. 8x10, 11x14, 8x20 and 14x17. The first three are in MEI backpacks. Including lenses, holders and extras they all come in about 40-45 lbs. When I go out with the ULF's the tripod is 15 lbs that I carry in my hand. Yes, I backpack with the 14x17. I have a portage pack that holds the camera, two film holders, two lenses, Tripod base plate, darkcloth and other assorted necessities. I'll try to get some images up of it on my back one day.

Stephen Willard
2-May-2011, 22:37
I use two llamas that are both capable of carrying about 100 pounds each along with 40 pounds that I carry on my back. This results in a total weight of 240 pounds, and allows me to stay in up to 30 days without coming out to replenish for food or film.

My gear includes a 4x10 camera, 5x7 camera, all camera accessories, film changing tent and table, film, two tripods, 13 lenses, tent, cook tarp, clothing, cooking gear, sleeping gear, 25W solar charger, iPad, iPod, two point-n-shoot digital cameras, laundry gear, food, and of course my two good llama friends, Popcorn and Chocolate Chip.

Clearly having two llamas allows me port in tons of gear, but the real advantage is they keep me fresh. Once we arrive and setup base camp, then they carry all the camera gear while I carry a small daypack. This keeps me fresh and productive all day long while I scour the land for compositions to photograph.

Robert Hughes
3-May-2011, 08:18
Those Llamas sure carry a Lload.

Douglas Henderson
3-May-2011, 09:50
stephen,

My wife and I acquired some young goats with this camera-hauling idea in mind (that was her rationalization to get me to go along with taking in goats). Out of love and optimism, she built a straw bale barn and fenced in nearly a half acre. But we never ever got around to having them haul anything. We took them for walks, grew attached to them and they mostly just ran our lives--along with the horses, dogs, cats and rabbits.

When I haul cameras around, I still just do it on my own. I don't worry about being fresh--exhaustion slows one down, calms the mind and opens up its own opportunities. But could use feeling 30 years old again.

Vaughn
3-May-2011, 10:47
But could use feeling 30 years old again.

I'd happily take early 40's! I hope to build some of my strength back up with some backpacking this summer --instead of going backwards as one can do getting close to 60. I will take the Rollei TLR to start with...and hopefully build up to the 5x7! Don't think backpacking with the 8x10 is going to work. My days of 85+ pound packs are gone!

Vaughn

toolbox
3-May-2011, 11:44
I travel pretty light no matter what system I bring out (even digital). For LF, I love my Crown Graphic...so light and compact. I've got an old camera bag that holds my ancient Pentax spot meter, a bunch of filters/hoods/bits, and about 8 film holders. That with the camera probably weigh around 10-12 pounds I'd guess. I do have a couple other small padded cases that could hold a lot more film if need be. I've got a carbon fiber tripod I can bring if I feel like it, but I also have a mini tripod that will hold the Crown and fits in the bag. Even if I'm shooting digital, I usually only bring one body and usually only one lens (usually a wide prime)...two if I'm feeling really adventurous. Years ago when I did a lot more hiking than I do now, I discovered that when I brought a ton of gear, the majority of it just sat in the bag, and I spent less time fiddling with it and more time shooting if I just kept it simple. Some day I would love to pack my Calumet C1 up in the sticks though, just as a test of endurance :D.

The only times I ever bring a huge pile of gear is for shooting weddings and such, and then I bring the whole house...you never know what you'll need (and there's a lot of backup gear), but there's also a lot of lighting gear and other things that are kind of mission specific...

msk2193
3-May-2011, 11:56
I use two llamas that are both capable of carrying about 100 pounds each along with 40 pounds that I carry on my back.

Stephen, wonderful images on your website. Would be tough in the dry Texas landscape to find enough food for the Llamas!!

Great idea.

Stephen Willard
4-May-2011, 04:38
Those Llamas sure carry a Lload.

Most llamas can only carry around 75 pounds, but the two llamas I rent from the Buckhorn Llama Company here in Colorado are premium packers and can carry 100 pounds or more. However, I believe that most llamas can carry larger loads than they are rated for if they are properly managed. Unfortunately, most people do not know to properly care for the animals.

Stephen Willard
4-May-2011, 04:48
stephen,

My wife and I acquired some young goats with this camera-hauling idea in mind (that was her rationalization to get me to go along with taking in goats). Out of love and optimism, she built a straw bale barn and fenced in nearly a half acre. But we never ever got around to having them haul anything. We took them for walks, grew attached to them and they mostly just ran our lives--along with the horses, dogs, cats and rabbits.

When I haul cameras around, I still just do it on my own. I don't worry about being fresh--exhaustion slows one down, calms the mind and opens up its own opportunities. But could use feeling 30 years old again.

When I first started out I put everything on my back. For 72 pounds and a 4x5, I could camp for three days and travel no more then 5 miles in. When you carry 40 pounds of camera gear on your back all day long at 10,000 feet above sea level, it can become exhausting. There were times when I did not have the strength to take the pack off my back and investigate a possible composition because I was too depleted.

When I started using llamas, my yields more than quadrupled because I remained fresh all day long. The difference was like night and day and the fee for $1600 from June to late October has been worth every cent.

Stephen Willard
4-May-2011, 05:02
Stephen, wonderful images on your website. Would be tough in the dry Texas landscape to find enough food for the Llamas!!

Great idea.

Thanks Mike for your kind words. I rent my llamas from the Buckhorn Llama Company for the season. I get the same llamas every year. At one time I was thinking about shooting in some pretty arid places, and I talked to Stan who owns the the Buckhorn Llama Company and he said you will be amazed at how these animals can find food in some pretty parched land. If you go to his website, you will find a slide show on his home page with some photos of his llamas packing in places like Utah and Arizona. His URL is http://www.llamapack.com/index.html

Fishjump
13-May-2011, 18:27
Keilty Backpacker 2. Best backpack out there.