PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Olympus VF-1? Any other ideas for a viewfinder for 150mm lens?

Noah A
1-May-2011, 10:37
Ok, I know this is a long shot but bear with me, it is an LF question even though I'm asking about a micro 4/3 viewfinder...

I'm putting together a 4x5 aerial camera with a 150mm lens. I ordered a Dayi camera, have the Horseman 4x5 back the Dayi is made for and I have a lens.

I'm looking for a viewfinder and am trying to avoid the size/cost/complexity of a universal zoom finder.

I noticed that Olympus makes a VF-1 optical finder for their micro 4/3 cameras. Since the aspect ratio is closer to 4x5 than, say, a finder for a 35mm camera, it might be ideal.

It's meant for their 17mm lens (equivalent to about a 34mm on a 35mm camera) but apparently the viewfinder's angle of view is a bit tighter, more like a 20mm (40mm on a 35mm camera).

I was wondering, if anyone out there has a VF1 and a 4x5 camera with a 150mm lens, could you do me a favor and compare the field of views?

The little Olympus finder seems perfect and it's a bargain on ebay, but it's not in stock around here so I can' try it out.

But if anyone else has an idea for a finder that gets me close to a 150mm field of view on 4x5, I'd love some suggestions.

spkennedy3000
1-May-2011, 11:16
Noah,

I use this one and quite like it. Not the most accurate but gets you somewhere close.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-6x24-Large-Format-Camera-/230390605882?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35a459a83a

Noah A
1-May-2011, 14:52
Noah,

I use this one and quite like it. Not the most accurate but gets you somewhere close.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-6x24-Large-Format-Camera-/230390605882?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35a459a83a

Thanks. I'll think about one of these, but the little oly is cheaper...

SW Rick
1-May-2011, 15:16
If you have an iPhone, Viewfinder Pro is good, and cheaper than the alternatives (other than a cardboard cutout).

Bob Salomon
1-May-2011, 15:21
You do know that Olympus is located in the Leigh Valley about an hour from you if you are near Center City. Closer if you are north or west of the city.

Noah A
1-May-2011, 15:23
If you have an iPhone, Viewfinder Pro is good, and cheaper than the alternatives (other than a cardboard cutout).

I do have an iphone but I'd have to figure out how to clamp it to my camera in a secure way so it doesn't fall from a helicopter!

My original plan, which I may do to start out, was to mount my small digital point and shoot camera and use that as a finder. But I'd love to be battery-independent. If the battery dies during an expensive helicopter ride, that would be no good at all. The Iphone, and even the digicam, may be a bit too fiddly. If I'm in a position for a shot and hit the wrong button and lose my view, that would be annoying.

I may download that app anyway, it seems like it would be useful when scouting for shooting locations. Thanks for the idea!

vinny
1-May-2011, 15:35
Using the term cheap and helicopter in the same sentence...........hmmm. I'd get the optical viewfinder. While iphone tripod mounts are made (yes, I have one) I wouldn't take it up in a bird. There's enough wind up there that you don't want to worry about shit falling apart or shutting off.

Noah A
1-May-2011, 16:28
Using the term cheap and helicopter in the same sentence...........hmmm. I'd get the optical viewfinder. While iphone tripod mounts are made (yes, I have one) I wouldn't take it up in a bird. There's enough wind up there that you don't want to worry about shit falling apart or shutting off.

My thoughts exactly. I want to go optical for the reliability mostly. Truth be told, I'd love a Linhof finder. It would be useful for scouting and I'll probably get one eventually, but it's not in the budget right now.

This whole project is a mess of cheap and expensive parts--a relatively cheap dayi camera, a cheap horseman back (actually quite an expensive part that I found used on ebay), and a pricey Apo Sironar S 150mm, since I didn't want to compromise in the optical department, especially since I may want to shoot at wider apertures than I would on the ground.

Bob--I didn't know olympus was so close, though if I expand my search to an hour's drive I could probably find one in a shop too.

I downloaded the iphone app. It seems I'd need a wideangle converter for the iphone to make full use of it, but it's pretty handy. Going by the app, the M4/3 20mm is quite close to the 4x5 150mm. So it seems the Olympus finder might be the way to go for now.

Bob Salomon
1-May-2011, 16:45
Actually an optical finder may not be the best choice for aerial work as you can't see in an optical finder what you are approaching. A wire frame finder would be better as you can see what is in the field as you approach the scene rather then only see what is in the scene and not arround it. Look at the pictures of the Linhof 45 Aero Technika EL that NASA used on the Shuttle to see what a frame finder looks like.
And if WebCam doesn't have the Olumpus one New York Camera could. So could Allen's.