PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what does Linhof MUNCHEN mean?

dreamallen
29-Apr-2011, 19:23
I have a Linhof Teachnika 4X5, but on the camrea has the logo " LINHOF MUNCHEN".
What does this mean? It is special vertion?

thank you so much

grahamcase
29-Apr-2011, 19:27
Quick Google search tells me it means Munich, as in the City. Common practice for a company to list the home city as part of its name: Linhof Munchen: Linhof in Munich.

"Designed by Apple in California"

dreamallen
29-Apr-2011, 19:31
Quick Google search tells me it means Munich, as in the City. Common practice for a company to list the home city as part of its name: Linhof Munchen: Linhof in Munich.

"Designed by Apple in California"

I see, thank you so much~

Doremus Scudder
30-Apr-2011, 00:41
Actually, it's München; with the umlaut, but it is indeed the German name for Munich.

Major cities and even given names were commonly translated up until the end of the 19th century, which is why we have so many different names for many major cities (Vienna, Vienne, Vena, Wien, etc. for my home town, Salisburgo, Salsbury, Salzburg and Naples, Neapel, Napoli, etc.) In Central Europe, many cities have very different names in two or more languages, reflecting their ethnic histories, e.g., Slovakian: Bratislava German: Pressburg, Hungarian: Pozsony. Russian and Greek names for a lot of Western places are a lot of fun too.

I even have some 19th-century editions of musical scores with the names Luigi van Beethoven and Louis van Beethoven on them.

Best,

Doremus Scudder