PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman metal master film holders?

William D. Bartels
18-Jan-2001, 20:05
Hi, I am looking for a couple more 8x10 film holders. My local camera dealer has a p air of Hoffman metal master holders . They look to be in good shape but they don 't load in the normal manner. The normal flap does not open, you pull a pin at t he other end of the holder that allows the film to slip in far enough to slide u nder the flap. My question is does anyone have experience loading these holders and are they de cent holders overall, it seems like they may be a pain to load. Thanks Bill Bartels

Brian Ellis
20-Jan-2001, 14:39
I have no experience with these holders. However, Hoffman advertises occaisonally in "Shutterbug" and claims that they hold the film flatter than normal holders, etc. They cost quite a bit more than normal 8x10 holders as I recall. The fact that they are metal should mean they're durable and not subject to warping. If it were me, I'd probably give them a try but then I have an unfortunate tendency to think that anything more expensive is necessarily better.

Keith Burnett
26-Jan-2001, 01:47
I have seen advertisements for the "Metalmaster" and it confused me because I use Hoffman 8x10 holders and they are wood and metal. However, my holders work in the conventional way. They are much lighter than a Fidelity/Riteway holder and better made and lighter than old wood holders. My guess is that anything made by Hoffman is going to be pretty good. He advertises in SB. Give him a call.

William D. Bartels
26-Jan-2001, 19:18
Thanks to all who responded to my question. I checked the holders out and they seem to be excellent. I purchased them for $25.00 each so I could not go too wrong.