PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Bay Area, CA

elycerose
29-Apr-2011, 13:04
My name is Lauren and I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting a LF camera. Though ultimately that's going to fail so I'm here to learn.

I've used a Speed Graphic once, with a Polaroid back, and that was enough to get me hooked. My issue is my main subjects, my children, are 7, 6, and 5 and don't quite grasp the concept of sitting still. Trying to figure out if a nice series of children duct-taped to chairs would be "art" or child-abuse :)

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to share their knowledge.

Vaughn
29-Apr-2011, 14:35
Hello and welcome!

Since my boys have been about 5 (I have triplets), I have been photographing them out in the landscape with an 8x10. Usually 30sec to one minute exposures. They are usually far enough back in the landscape that I do not mind a little movement -- I usually like to at least to be able to see facial features (eye sockets, noses, that sort of thing). But they do pretty dang good -- so don't be afraid to give it a go!

My boys have the routine down -- and at 14 yrs old, they'll still pose for me...usually for one two two exposures before they get bored with me! I usually set up the image and let the boys pick their spots, with some suggestions by me.

Vaughn

Vick Vickery
29-Apr-2011, 14:51
Welcome to group therapy! :) You're probably gonna need it after a few sessions with 5-to-7 year olds and a LF camera! Hang in there, though...it hasn't been all that many years than that was the way everybody did it!

Ivan J. Eberle
29-Apr-2011, 16:15
Actually, the Speed in Speed Graphic was so named for the focal plane shutter that topped out at 1/1000. Too, the leaf shutter on a Graphic is there for stopping action, with flash. Even stopped down, you can get reasonable shutter speeds in halfway decent light with Portra 400, for instance. And if 1/250 at f/22 doesn't get it all in focus or stop-action enough for you-- hey, there's always electronic flash. Or old style flash bulbs, if you prefer to heap the abuse upon yourself.

Atul Mohidekar
29-Apr-2011, 23:07
Hi Lauren,

If you want to meet local LFers in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can join the San Francisco LF Photography group that meets once a month, mostly on field trips to nearby locations and occasionally on social gatherings. Here is the group web site:
http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

A field trip to Uvas Canyon County Park is scheduled this Sunday 2011/05/01:
http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/events/16290098/

// Atul

elycerose
30-Apr-2011, 10:13
Thank you everyone!

And thanks Atul, I will go check it out!