PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Swing on a Linhof Kardan ST-E

Frank Petronio
29-Apr-2011, 11:50
I got this very nice Linhof Kardan ST-E monorail sitting here and it's perfect except for little play in the swing component of the rear standard. It isn't critical since the camera settles back into place quickly once a holder is inserted, but I'd like to get it right.

Short of a trip to Marflex, which I don't think is justified, does anyone here have any experience operating on these? Otherwise I'm a-going in... exploring...

Swing is the little flip lever.

Bob Salomon
29-Apr-2011, 13:57
Why not be sensible and ask Marflex? 252 652-4401. That way you will have someone to blame if it gets screwed up.

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2011, 08:45
It was simply a matter of tightening a set screw on the pivot point, simple and obvious. Linhof equipment always impresses me by how well built it is, it will last several lifetimes.

BTW, I bought this one for only $295 and it's a full featured, modern monorail with a nice bellows, Technika lensboard adaptor, fresenel, everything really. While the rail doesn't collapse, it is not overly bulky, no more than my old Sinar Norma... but perhaps even better quality. It's built better than the Sinar F or P and at least on par or better than the Arca-Swiss F-Line Discovery I had. I like the Linhof 4x5 backs best of all too, just the right tension and security.

Granted parts are harder to come by and often expensive. You can buy a Sinar bellows for only $50... at this point that is their strongest suit, you can expand the camera system almost infinitely.

But the Linhof monorails are an incredible value. I like robust, precise cameras with easily accessible movements. I'm not backpacking a 4x5. I guess I must be in the minority here? ;-)

Mike Anderson
30-Apr-2011, 13:56
BTW, I bought this one for only $295 and it's a full featured, modern monorail with a nice bellows, Technika lensboard adaptor, fresenel, everything really....

A 1-bidder-winner right? Sounds like another beneficiary of ebay's recategorization.

...Mike