PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45CX vs 45CF...

Jehu
29-Apr-2011, 10:23
I've been going back and forth between my insurance company, the replacement service and the retailer. About two months ago, the replacement service told me that I could upgrade from the 45CX monorail to the 45CF field camera by paying the difference but the replacement time would increase from two weeks to over 3 months. Now, two months later, I'm being told that the 45CX isn't available until sometime in June but the 45CF is available within 5-7 days. In the mean time, I received my replacement backpack. It's the largest one I could find but there's no way a Toyo monorail is going to fit.

Now it looks like I may "upgrade" to the field Toyo. I've read a couple of reviews on it. The one thing that keeps coming up is that it seems like a cheap, plastic toy that's just not very precise.

Has anyone used one of these recently? Am I making a big mistake going with the CF?

For what it's worth, I'm the only guy I know that prefers a monorail over a field camera but I want everything in one backpack if possible.

grahamcase
29-Apr-2011, 11:01
I, unfortunately, have no experience with Toyo's 4x5 offerings, but have used both the 810G and 810M.

I LOVE the 810M, and if I had money, I would buy one right now. Great 8x10 field camera, IMO.

I love my Tachi, but the Toyo is definitely more precise, and probably more sturdy (though I haven't really tested this theory).

Brian C. Miller
29-Apr-2011, 12:07
Jehu, some members have had cracking problems with the 45CF.

Gem Singer
29-Apr-2011, 12:15
Yes, you will be making a big mistake if you go with the CF. Especially if you will need to come up with more cash in order to purchase it.

Insist that the insurance Co. settles out with you for cash. Look for a good deal on a Toyo 45A and pay the difference in price.

That way you will have a real camera instead of a plastic toy.

Jehu
29-Apr-2011, 13:12
Now I'm looking into the possibility of a Chamonix 045N-2. I haven't heard anything bad about these yet. They appear to be more durable than the Toyo 45CF and they're about the same price. Has anyone here had hands-on with these?