PDA

View Full Version : grafloc back for 4x5 slr

kenklark
29-Apr-2011, 09:18
I'm shooting 4x5 transparencies, poloroids and wet plate with a graphloc back on my old speed graphic. Since I often shoot with a wide-open petzval, I really prefer to focus on the ground glass, rather than doing press camera "F8 and shoot." Those graphlexs with the revolving backs and the SLR shutter seem to offer an alternative method, where I could compose and shoot while keeping my eye on the subject to insure focus when the shutter is open.

The solution I am looking at is to put a grafloc back (essential for my poloroid back) on a Graphlex RB.

So two questions: Is this something I can do myself or is it a job for SK Grimes? 2. Any alternatives camera systems that could do the job for not too much more? I was reading a thread a moment ago when I saw that a Super D with a grafloc back went for $1700! I'm hoping to do this on the cheap if I do it at all. Thanks in advance for your advice.

jnantz
29-Apr-2011, 09:29
hi kenklark

i used to put a polaroid back ( 545i ) on my series d
by using black masking tape. i never had trouble ...
currently, i have a "graphic 23" taped the same way
and i shoot everything wide open ...
even though for years i have heard " it will never work "
or " critical focus will be off " &C .. none of it ( at least for me ) has been true.

before you have an adapter made &C try using tape ...

good luck !
john

Bill_1856
29-Apr-2011, 09:42
Changng the back is just a matter of a few screws. Unfortunately, there is a slight difference in the position of the film plane, and so it is also necessary to move the ground glass to match it -- a job for Grimes.
Except for Polaroids, the standard GRAFLEX back is fine, and used film/plate holders are plentiful. Personally, I love the old 12 shot bag-mags.
Incidentally, even after the conversion you will not be able to use a Polaroid holder for vertical (portrait) shooting.

brianjnelson
29-Apr-2011, 18:13
I can rotate the back on my RB so the opening is down. Therefore inserting the Polaroid holder from the bottom.

kenklark
30-Apr-2011, 09:12
John, Bill and Brian, thanks for your wise advice. You guys have also mapped out my methodology, 1,2,3. As a wise man once said, "if you can fix it with duck tape, it ain't broke."

If I understand correctly, I'll also have to get a new set of 4x5 holders to fit if I use the original back.

Thanks for all your help.

-Ken

Paul Ewins
30-Apr-2011, 23:39
Don't forget that the last of the breed, the Super D, was available with either a Grafloc or graflex back. They are usually expensive but bargains can be found. Mine cost me less than $500 and came with both backs. While that's more than an RB Auto or Series D would cost, it is a much younger camera which should have more life left in the shutter. Having said that, my 90 year old Auto Graflex still works happily.

Sirius Glass
1-May-2011, 13:38
Bert at graflex.org machined one for my 1928 Graflex Model D so that I can use my Grafloks on it and my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. He is a retired Graflex and Graphic repairman. Maybe you can get him to make one for you for a lot less than $1700US.

Steve