PDA

View Full Version : Roller Marks on new 3880

SteveH
29-Apr-2011, 02:20
Thanks to everyone who has helped me navigate the jungle of colour management.
I'm now getting some prints that are looking pretty good to my novice eyeballs.
Originally I was using an 'el cheapo' printing paper just to get up to scratch. I thought the prints were looking pretty decent until I bought my first pack of Epson Premium Gloss. The difference in print quality has been stunning. So no more cheap paper for me.

Anyway my problem is that the cheap paper was showing broad ugly roller marks in the deep shadow areas. With the Epson paper the marks are much less noticable and much narrower but still there if I hold the print at an angle.

As most of my work is shot at night this is a real problem.
The printer is only about a month old and is used irregularly.
I live in a remote area and want to avoid sending the printer back for service if I can.
Any ideas?

cheers
Steve

Jim Ewins
29-Apr-2011, 20:11
IT'S an Epson!! trademark

Dave Aharonian
30-Apr-2011, 10:51
I had a similar problem printing digital negatives on Pictorico. Try using the manual front feed slot. It doesn't use the same rollers and it solved the problem for me. Because Pictorico is so thin, I tape it to a thicker pice of paper when feeding it through, as the front feed is intended for thicker media.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Brian Ellis
30-Apr-2011, 13:55
I think the standard advice for eliminating roller marks is to clean the rollers.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&foid=31095

Are you sure these are roller marks and not the infamous "pizza wheels?" I think the solution for pizza wheels is supposed to be to widen the platen gap.

Fortunately I've never had either problem with any of my four Epson printers so I'm just going by what I remember or think I remember reading, not from experience.

SteveH
1-May-2011, 03:08
I think the standard advice for eliminating roller marks is to clean the rollers.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&foid=31095

Are you sure these are roller marks and not the infamous "pizza wheels?" I think the solution for pizza wheels is supposed to be to widen the platen gap.

Fortunately I've never had either problem with any of my four Epson printers so I'm just going by what I remember or think I remember reading, not from experience.

Hi Brian thanks for the link, I didn't find that in the help manual. I will follow it up.
BTW it's definately roller marks - regular linear banding perpendicular to the feed direrction.
cheers
Steve

SteveH
3-May-2011, 02:50
Hi Brian thanks for the link, I didn't find that in the help manual. I will follow it up.
BTW it's definately roller marks - regular linear banding perpendicular to the feed direrction.
cheers
Steve

Brain
do you know if this is still relevant to the 3880?
I believe its a different beast service-wise?
thanks
Steve