PDA

View Full Version : How to re-tension wire locks on film holders.

Uri A
28-Apr-2011, 22:51
Is there any way to do this? Most of mine just flop around and get in the way and do nothing to protect the film...

Brian Schall
29-Apr-2011, 08:16
If you're talking about the wires that keep the dark slides from slipping out, they have screw threads on the bottom. Just screw them clockwise back into the holder a turn at a time until they are tight with the top of the dark slide.

Uri A
29-Apr-2011, 16:28
Hi Brian,
I tried that on my Fidelity Elites and they just rotate endlessly. Maybe the threads are broken.. Which brand are your holders?

Cheers

domaz
29-Apr-2011, 18:56
I don't think you have any hope of getting the plastic hooks out without breaking. Just live with it. You don't really need them if you always swap the dark slides to a different color after exposing the film, and you are careful not to pull dark slides accidently.

Preston
29-Apr-2011, 20:52
Brian,

I have some older Fidelity holders with locks that will tighten. I also have a dozen newer ones whose locks just spin. It's likely they changed the design along the way.

Uri,

Along with being careful, a rubber band around the holder will provide additional security if the locks move.

--P

Uri A
29-Apr-2011, 22:08
thanks preston.

i used to use rubber bands but started worrying about creating light leaks as the band pushes the slide tabs towards each other, putting pressure on the light seal..

anyway no big deal . just thought someone may have done this successfully.

happy shooting.

Heespharm
29-Apr-2011, 22:13
maybe you can jam something in there to add tension???

Uri A
29-Apr-2011, 22:15
im actually considering cutting them off with pliers - all they do is get in the road..

Christof
30-Apr-2011, 13:50
I use a small piece of tape to protect the dark slide from slipping out. I write the type of film on it.

GPS
30-Apr-2011, 14:17
im actually considering cutting them off with pliers - all they do is get in the road..

Couldn't you just screw them out and screw them in a few mm beside they original place?