PDA

View Full Version : Wet Plate--Some Questions

Two23
28-Apr-2011, 20:49
I'm still thinking over the wet plate thing. I like the look, and am adventurous. I've looked over some videos on Youtube and think it doesn't look all THAT hard. Here's what I want a camera to do. I want to take field photos, outdoors. I realize I'll have to make the plates on the scene, and then process/rinse them. If William Henry Jackson could do it in 1870, I should be able to do that now. I do have a very large darkbag, almost big enough to hide a small child in, LOL. I'm thinking that rather than whole plate, what if I did quarter plate for the sake of compactness? How easy is it to find a vintage 1860-1880 quarter plate? I'm thinking that would be easier for me to handle in the field, maybe. So, I prepare the plate, take a shot within 15 minutes or so, probably ISO 0.5. Take exposed plate back to the dark bag and process it. I would then scan it and print digitally. What am I missing? What other general things do I need to know? I once saw a demonstration of this by a CWR guy, and it looked interesting. Does all this cost an arm & a leg? Other than buying the camera and probably a lens, I'm thinking not. I think I'd like to take portraits of railroad guys posing with their engines. This was a common subject for many decades. I know that trains move way to fast to photo them rollling.

Kent in SD

Andrew Plume
29-Apr-2011, 02:01
I'm still thinking over the wet plate thing. I like the look, and am adventurous. I've looked over some videos on Youtube and think it doesn't look all THAT hard. Here's what I want a camera to do. I want to take field photos, outdoors. I realize I'll have to make the plates on the scene, and then process/rinse them. If William Henry Jackson could do it in 1870, I should be able to do that now. I do have a very large darkbag, almost big enough to hide a small child in, LOL. I'm thinking that rather than whole plate, what if I did quarter plate for the sake of compactness? How easy is it to find a vintage 1860-1880 quarter plate? I'm thinking that would be easier for me to handle in the field, maybe. So, I prepare the plate, take a shot within 15 minutes or so, probably ISO 0.5. Take exposed plate back to the dark bag and process it. I would then scan it and print digitally. What am I missing? What other general things do I need to know? I once saw a demonstration of this by a CWR guy, and it looked interesting. Does all this cost an arm & a leg? Other than buying the camera and probably a lens, I'm thinking not. I think I'd like to take portraits of railroad guys posing with their engines. This was a common subject for many decades. I know that trains move way to fast to photo them rollling.

Kent in SD

Hi Kent

there's no problem in finding 'vintage' quarter-plate cameras c/w holders in the UK but they will probably have been made later than 1880

andrew

Two23
29-Apr-2011, 05:41
Hi Kent

there's no problem in finding 'vintage' quarter-plate cameras c/w holders in the UK but they will probably have been made later than 1880

I guess that would make sense because most photos were contact printed at that time. Now, what about those newer cameras that had the big open hole on the bottom for the integral tripod head? I'm guessing those date to around 1900? Is there a way to use them with a modern ballhead rather than a vintage tripod? Was that hole in the base a standard size so different tripods could be used?

Kent in SD

kenklark
29-Apr-2011, 08:56
You will need a darkbox so you see the plate as manipulate, develop, and complete a series of additional processes that require careful thought and practiced dexterity. And since the plate must be repeated washed during the process, you will need plenty of water too, if you shoot using the standard chemistry. Working in the field introduces so many new variables to a highly variable process that it can be quite daunting. It is faster and far less frustrating to develop those skills in the studio, before adding the additional headaches of getting a wetplate darkroom in and out of the trunk of your car.

Two23
29-Apr-2011, 12:24
It is faster and far less frustrating to develop those skills in the studio, before adding the additional headaches of getting a wetplate darkroom in and out of the trunk of your car.

That's what I had in mind. Practice at home until I get proficient. I'm thinking that by using half or even quarter plate, things will be easier in the field. Now for my camera related question. I've been finding plate cameras that have a big gaping hole on the bottoms of them, meant for a tripod. Two questions about this: one, are these holes a standard size and two, what time period was this popular? OK, a third question. How can I use a modern ballhead with a camera like that? I already have an AcraTech head and Gitzo 1325 tripod I love.

Kent in SD

Discoman
1-May-2011, 11:41
well, you may need to build the camera.
while collodion is supposed to be a lot of fun, it isn't very safe.
IMO, try using liquid emulsion to start with, then move to collodion if you feel confident enough
http://collodion.com/ is a forum dedicated to wet plate negatives. they can probably help you with everything related to wet plates far better than I personally can:D
okay, now the dangers: it is highly toxic, flammable, explosive, sensitive to sparks, heat, etc. depending on how you process it, you are dealing with cyanide baths or mercury fumes (although i may be mistaken, i'm not too sure if mercury fuming chambers are for wet plate or dry plate.)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
1-May-2011, 13:12
Mercury plays no part in collodion development.

Ole Tjugen
1-May-2011, 13:32
... I've been finding plate cameras that have a big gaping hole on the bottoms of them, meant for a tripod. Two questions about this: one, are these holes a standard size and two, what time period was this popular? OK, a third question. How can I use a modern ballhead with a camera like that? I already have an AcraTech head and Gitzo 1325 tripod I love. ...

Not standard at all; although one maker will be likely to have standardised the big gaping holes to make it easier to fit one type of big-gaping-hole-tripod head. for all I know there might well have been a limited range of sizes, but I don't know of any system to it.

To use such a camera with a modern tripod, you need to fit an adapter plate with a modern-size tripod screw hole in it.