View Full Version : Is this a Graflok?

Chris Yeager
19-Mar-2001, 18:10

I am a certified wiseass myself, so I hesitate to ask this question, but what do you call this back? Is this Graflok? if not what is the generic name for thi s? Just got into this format with this camera (yes, a CC401) and I'm doing the w hat back shuffle now- already found out that the Polaroid 405 doesnt fit, but a quick mod with a couple of screendoor springs solved that problem.... now I'm lo oking at rollfim potential. (I'll get around to the 4x5 someday... but I'm not r eady on the darkroom end..)I've searched this forum and found many, many helpful answers.... except a picture of a Graflok back...

james mickelson
19-Mar-2001, 18:15
Looks like a springback to me. A graflock back comes off with clpis so you can replace it with a rollfilm back. James

Steve Grimes.
19-Mar-2001, 19:17
That is a picture of a Calumet rotating spring back.

There's a picture of a Graflok back for auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1222195778 Or just search eBay (www.ebay.com) for "Graflok"

Alec Jones
19-Mar-2001, 22:02
Here's what a Graflok back looks like:


Chris Yeager
19-Mar-2001, 22:29
Thanks everyone! Obviously I have the wrong camera for optimal rollfilm choices... I may have to break down and use it as it was designed to be used...

Scott Walton
20-Mar-2001, 09:14
Chris, If it roll film you need to use you do have an option. Calumet sells a 6x 7 roll film holder that will fit in your camera. It will slide in just like a 4x 5 holder... might be worth looking into. I seem to recall several for sale on ebay yesterday. Cheers, Scott

Charlie Stracl
20-Mar-2001, 13:17
The general consensus seems to be the Calumet roll film backs don't work as well as others. The film reverses direction very sharply at the end of the holder, and can take a set if left very long. Also, lots of the leader is spent in loading, and fogging is likely (if I remember the discussion correctly).

Finally, I believe film flatness can be an issue.

Better to use this camera with sheet films or the single sheet Polaroid holders.

Brian Ellis
21-Mar-2001, 02:03
I used the Calumet 6x7 roll film holder for several years without any problems. Assuming it will fit your camera, I'd recommend it if you want to use roll film. I had no fogging, no flatness problems. The only problem I had was that loading it was kind of complicated. I didn't use it frequently and every time I did use it I had to consult the instructions again to remember how to load it. Otherwise I had no complaints and it's the only roll film back I know of that will fit a camera that doesn't have the Grafloc type back.