John Sexton
28-Apr-2011, 02:15
Center For Creative Photography
University of Arizona
1030 N. Olive
Tucson, Arizona 85716

Monday, May 9, 2011 - 5:30 pm

Free and open to the public

I always like speaking about Ansel and his influence on my photography, and indeed my life. I am honored to have the opportunity to present my lecture Ansel Adams: A Personal Recollection for the Center for Creative Photography on Monday, May 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm.

The lecture is being offered in association with the exhibition of nearly forty prints Ansel Adams: Arizona and the West which is on display at the Center through May 15th. It is a rare opportunity to see this group of photographs, representing the entire course of Adams’s prolific career.

During my lecture, which will include new material that I have not previously presented, I will discuss the nuances of Ansel’s renowned photographic techniques, provide insights into Ansel’s creative process, and present some of his well-known, as well as lesser known, images. A number of images will be transformed on the screen from the negative to the final print - progressing through various phases in the evolution of a finely crafted expressive print.

In addition, I will recount personal anecdotes of working side by side with Ansel. I will also be sharing a few images from my own photographic career of nearly forty years. I promise it will be a lively and entertaining presentation.

Following the lecture I will be signing copies of my books, Recollections and Places of Power.

I hope some Large Format Photography Forum members will be able to attend this event. Please pass this information on to others that might be interested in attending this event. If you would like more information, check out the Center for Creative Photography’s web site. (http://www.creativephotography.org/events/index.php)

mikebarger
28-Apr-2011, 02:29
Wish I were closer to Arizona!

Mike

Mark Woods
28-Apr-2011, 10:13
John, I'm thinking of driving over from Pasadena, CA. You gave a lecture last year that I think was closer to me, but I had a conflict with a class I teach at the American Film Institute. I don't have any conflicts this year.

Mark Sawyer
7-May-2011, 12:00
Just a bump for the Tucson crowd; John's talk is at the CCP this Monday.

Hope to see a few familiar faces there. John is a great photographer, and an excellent speaker with a tremendous amount of insight and experience. His talks are what artists' talks should be.

John Sexton
7-May-2011, 22:54
Mark - I am humbled that you would drive so far to attend my presentation. I look forward to seeing you - John

Mark Woods
9-May-2011, 09:10
Hello John, I'm hitting the road right now. See you later.

Greg Blank
9-May-2011, 12:31
I wish I could :)

Hello John, I'm hitting the road right now. See you later.

QT Luong
11-May-2011, 16:56
I attended a talk of the same title last year. It was great, informative and entertaining as well.

Mark Woods
11-May-2011, 17:04
Hello QT, John made a really good presentation. I found the neg scans and the print evolutions particularly informative. Good Stuff!