PDA

View Full Version : TURNER REICH ANASTIGMAT f7.0 LENSES 8X10 made by GUNDLACH MANUFACTURING CORP.

akfreak
27-Apr-2011, 15:45
I have TURNER REICH F7.0 ANASTIGMAT LENS 8X10 made by GUNDLACH MANUFACTURING CORP. Fairport N.Y. the back lens has a matching serial number. it is mounted on a Betax No4 shutter. On the outer ring of the front lens section it says EQ 12" 304.8 to FR. 25" 635 MM on the back it says BACK 19.7" 500.4 MM, I am clueless. I don't own an 8x10 yet, but have a lens and shutter.

I am very curious if this is a good lens to own, if so I found some more lenses of the same manufacturer that are 8x10 but in f 6.8 I may bid on them. What are your thoughts on these lenses.

I searched Google and found some info, but not on my exact lens. Will post a pic and a video of the lens and shutter, it looks real old. The shutter works real nice. I gave $108.16 for the lens and shutter. If it is a horrid lens, at least I have a cool paper weight. LOL

Louis Pacilla
27-Apr-2011, 17:29
I have seen plenty of TR Series II 8x10 lenses in both f6.8 & f7. I believe they are the same type of lens . The difference is more than likely a matter of shutter having a smaller opening so they choked it down by a very small amount. I'm not 100% sure But maybe 95% sure.

The lens is more or less a copy of a Zeiss Protar VIIA w/ a extra thin element added to get around patent issues. So 5 glued elements in each group versus the Protar VII w/ 4 glued elements . Every time you add another element it gets harder to glue them w/ great accuracy & there for some did not live up to there potential. But if it's a good one the TR's are one heck of a bargain.

Check this catalog out.This will give you an idea of the companies claims & design features like coverage different sizes & series of TR's http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/korona_2.html

I certainly would not buy another TR in the same FL, at least not until you try the 8x10 TR you have in your hands . They can be hit or miss on performance. That said, I've gotten lucky & have not had a poor preforming TR as of yet.

akfreak
28-Apr-2011, 00:41
Video of the lens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNPI_xbb2g), Sorry for the long winded Post below. Watch the video instead if you want.:p

In your opinion is $108 a price to high to pay. The lens has multiple focal lengths on the front and the back. It had Inch " numbers & MM focal length numbers. Not sure what EQ and FR stand for. Also you can clearly see where each element was cemented in on the edge. Looking at Google images they all look that way

The front and rear groups appear to be divergent elements and upon further searches it seems I have a Triple Convertible Lens the f7 ser II.

I haven't seen one in f7 like mine so far, all have been in f 6.8 and they are asking plenty for the 6.8. version. I have seen prices from $400 to $975. I have to assume the 6.8 to be a more expensive version because it is a little faster, it is only a guess however.

The focal lengths on mine are longer and the lens is supposed to be contrasty and sharp. Then when you remove one of the groups it looses sharpness and is a softer lens. That might not be so bad for portraits to be a little soft. Not like I can go into photoshop and mask out an area and add some blur to soften the skin, LOL

I am uploading a video of my lens. I saw it a couple of weeks ago when I made my rounds to the local pawn shops. I stopped by the Pawn Stars (on TV) shop, I have never been in there because always a huge line. That day filming was over so the line was nil.

When I went in I didn't see much, but on the way out I saw a maroon bellows. It was a Graflex Crown View, everything was there and then some. The camera was mounted on a triangle rail, had the tripod mount, cant remember the lens but I saw a green metal box. The box was fot carrying and storage of the Crown View, inside I saw a poloriod back, a recessed board and lots of old news paper. On the side of the box I saw a name BOB PENN never heard of him. I asked how much, the man said. "are you making an offer?" I said," no, how much" ? He replied, "$950"! I continured to inspect the contents of the box, carefully. In the corner I grabbed the lump of news papger and unwrapped the 8x10 lens. I took a moment and wrote down the names I could see, I never heard of any of them.

I came here and asked a few questions, next thing I know I got a PM asking to do a trade for the shutter or something, I was a little confused becuase I didnt even have the lens. He asked me if it had a flange, HUH? a flange I asked myself. Didn't think too much of it. Today I was close by and again no line so I stopped in.

Before I ever asked them to get the lens out to look at it. I planted a few seeds, I told them that that kit was a 4x5 and I had no need for another 4x5, however they had a lens in the box and the lens was for an 8x10 and would never work on the 4x5. So a man named Dave retrieved the lens exactly where I told him it was. Except this time it was wrapped in a red piece of cloth I found in the box and it was under some news paper balls I had placed around it to keep it from flopping around inside the case.

He didn't believe me, that anything was in the case, a few people had looked at the camera that day and they didn't mention any extra lens. Anyways he had it in his hand, he held it out to me so I could look at it. This time I really looked it over to make sure it functioned, and the glass had no fungus or chips or scratches ect...

This time when I asked how much, it wasn't a smart mouthed kid, it was an older relaxed man (Dave) and he said, "One min, let me go ask the OLD MAN!" He was gone for a few mins and comes back and says and I quote, "A, C-Note! I said noting and places a hundred dollar bill on the counter. He said, "Plus Tax", and winked. $108.25 if memory serves. Fun story so far, I just hope my copy is a good one. If Bob Penn kept it, I hope it was because it was a good piece of glass.

Looking at the prices people are asking, I am feeling safe with my $100 investment. That is unless my wife finds out, LOL

Now I just need a camera. Eyeballing an Ansco 8x10 but haven't made up my mind yet. If I get bit too bad by LF I may be selling off a bunch of Canon Digital Gear real soon.

I still have my Olympus E-1, and Nikon D70 they server me well, The Canon 7D is awesome, but I dont have as much fun with it as I do even my Pentax 645. I got spoiled with that kit too it came with a 35mm f3.5 and 4 other lenses, 3-120 backs a 220 back a nice case with a flash for $199 at a pawnshop. DOH.

goamules
28-Apr-2011, 06:54
What you paid is about the going rate, or a little less, for a Turner Reich this size. 250803315560, 150578296068 are two recent FeeBay sales. I don't recall seeing any go for the high range you quote, ever.

akfreak
28-Apr-2011, 17:19
What you paid is about the going rate, or a little less, for a Turner Reich this size. 250803315560, 150578296068 are two recent FeeBay sales. I don't recall seeing any go for the high range you quote, ever.
Well one of the listings was $145 and the other $275 so I didnt get hurt. How did you find those lenses in ebay when the auction was over. I know about completed listings check box but cant seem to find for my exact lens.

The lenses I quoted prices for were the f6.8 convertible lenses links (the $350 one not $400) here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Turner-Reich-Triple-Convertible-12-21-28-8X10-/370450004398?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56408a79ae#ht_4448wt_905) and here for $675 not $975 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120669858230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156)

Vick Vickery
28-Apr-2011, 19:39
I've been well pleased with the various Turner-Reich triple convertible lenses I've had thru the years. Remember that if you use them converted, refocus after stopping down...they will most likely have a little focus-shift after you stop down to working aperature.

Dan Dozer
28-Apr-2011, 20:25
The price you paid is as goamules said about the going rate for the TR triple convertables expecially if the shutter is relatively accurate. $350 and $675 seems to me to be pretty overpriced for the market these days. I have a 12/21/28 version in a Betax #5 that I used as my first lens when I got my first 8 x 10 camera. They are fairly plentiful out there which is why the prices aren't all that high. However, in my opinion, they are somewhat under rated for landscape work (at least while using both lens elements). I've never used mine at 21" or 28" so I don't know how the resolution is. I have heard others say that some versions are better than others, so maybe the QC at TR wasn't all that good back then.

akfreak
28-Apr-2011, 21:16
I've been well pleased with the various Turner-Reich triple convertible lenses I've had thru the years. Remember that if you use them converted, refocus after stopping down...they will most likely have a little focus-shift after you stop down to working aperature.

When composing, do you put the lens in T to open the shutter, then stop down, refocus for shift. Then change to shutter speed desired exposure.

I cant wait to use this lens. I was outbid on the Ansco 8x10 a good thing I guess. I may just build my own. Sense of accomplishment it would be in Walnut and brass. I may even try to make my won Bellows. The gearing for the standards will be the hard part. I am getting excited thinking about it.

Thanks for the info guys.

rjmeyer314
29-Apr-2011, 06:04
I have a Turner Reich 12/20/28 that is the primary lens that I use on my 11x14. I've been satisfied with my results, but I only make contact prints from 11x14 negatives.

akfreak
29-Apr-2011, 16:53
When you say you make contact prints, this holds up better than enlarging a negative. 11x14 is large so the coverage is not so good in the corners at infinity? In a contact print it doesnnt show that? Just curious the mention using it on a 11x14 in contact vs enlarging for a print. Thanks for the info, AKf