PDA

View Full Version : Silver Chloride Paper and Dektol?

Tim Layton
27-Apr-2011, 11:37
I was wondering if anyone here has used Dektol with the Silver Chloride paper from Michael Smith to make contact prints? If you have I would be interested in your thoughts and experience.

I would be interested in your dilution of Dektol (1:3, 1:2, etc) for use with this paper and if you modified your standard stop bath or fixer that you use for enlarging paper. Anything else based on your experience that you think is relevant would be appreciated.

In my initial tests I am used an R40 120 watt bulb with silver reflector from home depot at about 36" and have tried a 1:3 ratio on my Dektol and used my standard stop bath and fixer that I use for enlarging paper. I have used Selenium toner on a couple of my tests as well.

Thanks,

Tim

Jim Noel
27-Apr-2011, 13:17
Your initial testing is the best guide you can have. Far better than relying on others. Dektol can be diluted as far as 1+7. Of course this will require an increase in development time, but it will also give you smoother and more consistent prints. They will be a little warmer in tone than if the developer is diluted 1+2 or 1+3.

Tim Layton
27-Apr-2011, 14:50
Thanks Jim, I am looking for others that have used Dektol with the Silver Chloride paper to share their experience and any associated comments about their process. My thinking is that I wanted to compare my results with others to see if there was any consistencies or differences. For example, maybe something like an olive or greenish tint when using dektol at 1:3 but at 1:7 it seriously diminished. Or maybe the 1:3 ratio is a non issue if selenium toner is used, etc... I am just using this for illustration purposes.

In the end it is what it is but I was hoping for others with more experience to comment.

Thanks,

Tim

Pawlowski6132
27-Apr-2011, 15:03
I thought it sucked. If I recall, my prints looked waaaay too blue.

aduncanson
27-Apr-2011, 15:42
I thought it sucked. If I recall, my prints looked waaaay too blue.

I have heard that about AZO, but personally have had no problem developing Lodima in Dektol 1:3.

Hugo Zhang
27-Apr-2011, 15:54
Tim,

Have you thought of trying out the Fomalux 111 paper? I am going to try it with Dektol in a few weeks.

Hugo

John Bowen
27-Apr-2011, 16:48
Tim, I tried Dektol 1:2 with AZO about 6 years ago. It took me exactly one printing session to order some amidol! The Dektol print was green. The advantage of using a water bath to control contrast far outweighs the convenience of Dektol. If you don't want to mess with amidol, get yourself some Neutol WA.

Tim Layton
27-Apr-2011, 18:51
Hugo, I've looked at Fomalux 111 and also 312 in the past but never tried any. Since I am on this journey I should also give it a try and see what happens. I just went over to Freestyle and they have 111 fiber paper in stock, but unfortunately no fomatol for development. I would like to try some prints with fomatol and tone them with Indigo foma toner and compare them to the silver chloride prints toned with selenium. If you test fomalux 111 with dektol send me an update and let me know your thoughts. I will do the same.

Tim Layton
5-May-2011, 15:17
A quick update. I have tested the Fomalux 111 fiber paper. Here are my working notes. I cut the paper into 4 4x5 sheets for my test under normal OC filter light. I used a 40watt bulb with silver reflector from home depot at 36". I found the R40 120 watt halogen that I use for the Lodima Silver Chloride to produce full black at about 6 seconds so I switched light sources to the 40 watt household bulb. Base exposure was 14 seconds. Used Dektol at 1+3 for 90 seconds, normal stop and fixer. I contact printed some 4x5 negatives that I developed in Diafine. I made two final prints via my test and I am extremely pleased with the results. I will try and scan the prints in once I get them flattened properly. My two final prints came in at 13 seconds and 14 seconds respectively. I found that 1 second of exposure made a noticeable difference in my prints. I plan on testing with some Ilford selenium toner on my prints in the next couple of days. If you have any questions about my test just let me know.

jnantz
5-May-2011, 17:09
i know of people who use this combination all the time
and then the paper swims in selenium a little bit to remove the cast.

Bruce Barlow
8-May-2011, 03:34
Just messed around with Lodima and Dektol. CCCCoooooooollllllldddddd! If you like that kind of thing. Too much, even for me.

Michael W
8-May-2011, 04:19
I did one session of Fomalux in Dektol 1:3 & the prints had a green tinge. 45 seconds in Kodak Selenium got rid of that & left then neutral. I wasn't particularly knocked out by the look of the prints.

Barrie B.
9-May-2011, 14:43
I did one session of Fomalux in Dektol 1:3 & the prints had a green tinge.*** 45 seconds in Kodak Selenium *** got rid of that & left then neutral. I wasn't particularly knocked out by the look of the prints.

Greetings :- Kodak Selenium ?? " What Strength please " !!..........Cheers Barrie B.

Greg Blank
9-May-2011, 15:40
As Michael Smith contends Azo in Dektol not optimal. I have tried several developers with Azo, the real test is trying various light sources and developers, if I was doing Azo with Dektol use it straight or maybe 1 to 1. I seem to recall though Defender formula 55 produces better results.

I was wondering if anyone here has used Dektol with the Silver Chloride paper from Michael Smith to make contact prints? If you have I would be interested in your thoughts and experience.

I would be interested in your dilution of Dektol (1:3, 1:2, etc) for use with this paper and if you modified your standard stop bath or fixer that you use for enlarging paper. Anything else based on your experience that you think is relevant would be appreciated.

In my initial tests I am used an R40 120 watt bulb with silver reflector from home depot at about 36" and have tried a 1:3 ratio on my Dektol and used my standard stop bath and fixer that I use for enlarging paper. I have used Selenium toner on a couple of my tests as well.

Thanks,

Tim

John Berry
11-May-2011, 09:55
Dektol, OK. ansco 130, good. amidol, best. It's spendy paper. Why are you accepting less than optimum?