PDA

View Full Version : Adorama's "Flashpoint" CF tripods: pro's/con's?

Daniel Stone
26-Apr-2011, 23:35
hey all,

well, I'm "sorta" in the market for a smaller, lighter tripod than my aluminum Gitzo 5-series studex(which I love!). However, using it for EVERYTHING is impractical at some times, and with my soon to be 6x17 camera in my hands(as soon as I've sent you a check Gregg ;), if you're reading this :D), I'm on the lookout for a much lighter, and slightly smaller tripod. And on a "budget". I don't care about brand, just build quality and durability.

This evening while visiting my local photo center, a woman walking through the hall had her camera on a smaller Flashpoint tripod w/ ball head, and I got to thinking about how I could probably make do with a similar setup...

So... thanks to our friends at Google ;), I've come to like the looks of the Flashpoint 1428, and eventually, a ballhead to top it off with(once some more money is saved!).

http://www.adorama.com/images/large/FPTPF1428.JPG

http://www.adorama.com/FPTPF1428.html

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Flashpoint tripods, or even with the 1428 model in particular. I'm tall(6'5"), so a tripod capable of going up in height would be preferred, but not totally necessary. I'm looking to stick with CF, primarily to save weight, since I'm starting to hike more when I get free time, and like to pack some sort of camera(35mm or soon to be the 6x17 maybe) in addition to other trail gear for day hikes(sometimes overnight too).

thanks!

-Dan

Bill_1856
27-Apr-2011, 04:03
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I wonder if you've considered a TILTALL tripod instead of a carbon fiber? They weigh 6# including a really great pan/tilt head, will easily support a 6x17, and 6'5" is no problem. Used ones made by Leitz are less than $100, and seem to last forever.

David R Munson
27-Apr-2011, 04:55
Dan - I have no experience with the Adorama tripods, but I've been looking at a lot of the Induro tripods here locally and am considering one. Very nice quality and the price is favorable. Have you looked at their lineup?

Brian Ellis
27-Apr-2011, 07:09
Obviously this isn't made by Adorama, they sell a lot of gear using their name that they buy from some manufacturer. I don't recognize this tripod but you might check the web site of B&H or anywhere else that sells a lot of tripods and has photos of them to see if you can tell who actually makes it, then check around for it under its real name. Or maybe someone here will recognize it.

FWIW, the first place I'd look for a light, relatively inexpensive tripod is the Feisol line. I've been very happy with mine.

Daniel Stone
27-Apr-2011, 07:45
...I wonder if you've considered a TILTALL tripod instead of a carbon fiber?...

Hey Bill, yes, I've owned a tilatall(actually a "star D") in the past, but always had a problem with the legs locking up in colder weather. Not that it gets all that "cold" here in LA county ;), but nonetheless, it was a pain.

Dan - I have no experience with the Adorama tripods, but I've been looking at a lot of the Induro tripods here locally and am considering one. Very nice quality and the price is favorable. Have you looked at their lineup?

Induro: I'll check into them, currently, from what it looks like, they're 2x as expensive. I'm not jumping out of planes or anything, just hiking primarily.

FWIW, the first place I'd look for a light, relatively inexpensive tripod is the Feisol line. I've been very happy with mine....

Thanks Brian, I'll check them out.

if anyone else knows anything, I'd be very grateful :)

cheers

-Dan

Bob Salomon
27-Apr-2011, 07:49
Induro is simply a private label name for some Benro tripods sold only by the MAC Group. Benro are also sold under other names as well.

Douglas Henderson
27-Apr-2011, 07:57
I have a Benro C-157 M8 (earlier than current model) carbon tripod with a Vanguard SBH-250 ball head. The tripod is adequate for 4x5 and 5x7 cameras if you aren't fighting a wind. Last I looked, Amazon had a sale on for this Benro M8 tripod for around $129.00. Build quality seems excellent--probably equivalent to the Flashpoint.

I also have a Benro A-358 M8 aluminum tripod (with Vanguard SBH-300 ball head). This is a stouter tripod and rock steady for 4x5 and 5x7. Have mounted a couple of heavy 8x10 cameras on it just to see how steady it might be--but there is a twisting shimmer between the head and legs that becomes apparent with these heavier 8x10 cameras. Suspect this is a characteristic of all the aluminum and carbon tripods when mounting big cameras, unless they have additional leg braces.

Bought a Berlebach 3032 Reporter tripod (7 pounds, about) that is only a little heavier than the aluminum Benro--but it is much steadier with the heavier cameras. The small 3 diameter ball head mount is even adequate for my Calumet C-1 magnesium 8x10 without a head with a larger plate (like a Majestic 1200).

Mark Sampson
27-Apr-2011, 08:19
A Star-D is a cheap Tiltall knockoff, not the real thing.

David R Munson
27-Apr-2011, 08:55
Induro is simply a private label name for some Benro tripods sold only by the MAC Group. Benro are also sold under other names as well.

True, but by any names the tripods are still good.

Bill_1856
27-Apr-2011, 09:02

I have to agree. I had a Star-D when I first started out in photography, and it nearly turned me against ever using a tripod. The Tiltall is in a whole different class.
Recently I have been looking covetously at the Feisol tripods, but though they are a bargain compared to many other carbon fiber brands, they still come pretty dear.
It is difficult to find a head which is under 2# and will hold a 5x7 steady and without any shake.

Heespharm
27-Apr-2011, 09:19

For sure.... The marchioni tiltalls is a world of difference from the star d... I have two of them and love them both although one is damaged... I have a feisol and tiltall and prefer my tiltall over the cf anyday of the week

Ari
27-Apr-2011, 09:37

I didn't know about that, but when I compared Benros and Induros side by side, the Induros were of noticeably better build quality and stability.

Bob Salomon
27-Apr-2011, 09:52
I didn't know about that, but when I compared Benros and Induros side by side, the Induros were of noticeably better build quality and stability.

Regardless, they are made by the same people in the Benro factory. There are many models of each as well as versions.

Brian Schall
27-Apr-2011, 19:00
I have the Flashpoint 1228. Bought it to use with a Tachihara 4x5. Now use it with a Mamiya RZ67, along with Nikon 35mm. I love it. Light weight. The leg locks work easily. Three position legs, with the Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, I can get down to less than 12" height. And the price was right.

SW Rick
27-Apr-2011, 21:29
Bret Edge's blog has his take on them in today's post.

Jim Michael
28-Apr-2011, 05:09
Newer Feisol tripods have the anti-twist feature. The classic series does not and run about $200. We have one which is being used with a Hasselblad and it seems to work OK.

HelenOster
5-May-2011, 06:22
I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Flashpoint tripods

You might want to sign up to the Flashpoint Group on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1258407@N25/

It's only a small group but a bunch of really great people who may have more first-hand experience.

You can also email me directly with questions, which I can put to our in-house Flashpoint expert : Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://twitter.com/HelenOster