PDA

View Full Version : Brass lenses on a Pacemaker Speed Graphic?

olwick
25-Apr-2011, 13:34
Hi,

I recently picked up a Pacemaker Speed Graphic in part because I wanted the focal plane shutter if I eventually try a brass lens on it (love the look).

I have a couple of questions:

1. What size lens will work on it and still give a bit of movement (mine has the 147/2.5 lens currently). I've read 6 inches for an equivalent for length, but also see lenses with different diameters.

2. I know that some brass lenses don't have aperture control. How do you determine the exposure without a known aperture?

3. How do you mount the brass lens?

4. I'm 99% sure the Kalart rangefinder I have wouldn't work with it...right? Or is there a way to align it to handle the new lens?

Thanks,

Mark

Ole Tjugen
25-Apr-2011, 14:17
1. any lens with an image circle larger than the film size. Or smaller, which gives funny fuzzy corners. The diameter of the lens should be smaller than the size of the lens board, otherwise it's a bit too tricky to mount.

2. You guess. Look at another lens with somewhat similar focal length and a working aperture, and compare the two.

3. I use an universal iris lens mount on my Anniversary Speed Graphic for that purpose, but that one is the ONLY one I have ever seen that is small enough to be mounted on a Graphic lens board.

4. There is, but why bother? Keep the rangefinder calibrated to your "real lens", and use the GG with the brassies.

domaz
25-Apr-2011, 14:54
For Brass lenses on the Speed Graphic I think you need to be concerned with the physical size of the lens not just the focal length. The lens boards aren't very big really and the inner light trap limits you even more (to about 80mm diameter I think).

goamules
25-Apr-2011, 15:44
like this?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3349405200_e03472d278.jpg

Yes, it is possible. You are asking some extremely broad questions about exposure, mounting, lens types, and the rangefinder. Do some searching on this board and the http://graflex.org site and you'll find answers. (Rather than me explaining each of these points in a long response).

Andrew
25-Apr-2011, 18:37
Hi'ya... I've done this too.
1/ depends on the lens design. As stated the image circle will be a limiting factor as well as the physical size of the lens barrel. The lens design type will have a big effect on the image too as some designs have a signature like the swirl of the petzvals. Meniscus lenses can give a lovely soft glow. You might be surprised how sharp and modern the rapid rectilinears look if they're stopped down. You'll need to do some research there.
2/ if there's no aperture control you shoot wide open. QED. In that case all you need to know is the f-value of the lens which is focal length divided by the aperture. As an approximation, focus infinity and measure from the film plane to the lens centre and divide that distance by the smallest inside diameter of the lens.
3/ as per the above picture by Garrett: if you have the original mounting flange it's easy, you just put the flange onto a lens board and off you go. If you don't have the flange and you want something more robust than gaff tape it's harder but you might be able to make out how I've mounted onto a home made board by using screws and padded "washers" to protect the brass. I can give you more detail if you want.
4/ I'll go out on a limb and say to forget the rangefinder and just use the ground glass.

olwick
26-Apr-2011, 07:30
like this?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3349405200_e03472d278.jpg

Yes, it is possible. You are asking some extremely broad questions about exposure, mounting, lens types, and the rangefinder. Do some searching on this board and the http://graflex.org site and you'll find answers. (Rather than me explaining each of these points in a long response).

Thanks Garrett.

I've read the graflex.org site extensively and there's no mention of using brass lenses, other than saying that the Pacemaker FP shutter is optimal for using them. Hence my questions.

goamules
26-Apr-2011, 10:13
Your desires and questions need to be refined.

Using a brass, or any other lens, is a matter of what type of formula it is. "Brass Lenses" can be Petzvals, Tessars, Protars, Rapid Rectilinears, Aplanats, Dagors....etc, etc... Every one will need a different focal length to cover 4x5.

john wood
26-Apr-2011, 12:30
Iris chucks & a set of step-up rings for friction mount...both work fine for me, including a big heavy Aviar.

Ole Tjugen
27-Apr-2011, 05:47
Here's my solution - finally found the picture.

It's a Busch Weitwinkel-Aplanat on it, which is why the bed is dropped.

jp
27-Apr-2011, 10:39
Whatever you can fit on a lensboard and doesn't have a focal length more than maybe 250mm. 210mm would be more comfortable if you are doing a bunch of tight portraits or closeups.

You should use the groundglass to focus.

SergeiR
28-Apr-2011, 06:21
Hi,

I recently picked up a Pacemaker Speed Graphic in part because I wanted the focal plane shutter if I eventually try a brass lens on it (love the look).

I have a couple of questions:

1. What size lens will work on it and still give a bit of movement (mine has the 147/2.5 lens currently). I've read 6 inches for an equivalent for length, but also see lenses with different diameters.

2. I know that some brass lenses don't have aperture control. How do you determine the exposure without a known aperture?

3. How do you mount the brass lens?

4. I'm 99% sure the Kalart rangefinder I have wouldn't work with it...right? Or is there a way to align it to handle the new lens?

Thanks,

Mark

Aye..
1. Dead easy way to check is to try sit in the room with window , and project sharp image of some object next to window to the A4 list. If your final image covers or exceeds desired film size - you good. Larger - will allow for more movements (not that you get a lot of it with Speed Graphic anyway.. ). If you dont have luxury of doing that - roughly 210mm-270mm is ok. That said - i do have petzal projector lens mounted, that has alleged distance of 33inches (if we to trust numbers on side of brass tube) mounted on my Speed Graphic with room to spare.
Remember to watch out for weight :) If you see lens that weights few kilos - i'd pass on mounting that ;))

2.Proper way to do it - to use light meter in EV mode. Usual way to do it - wild guess by comparing with whatever you got and instant film ;)

3. Many many many ways. Some will screw onto existing shutters (for example Adon Junior quite happily goes onto Copal #0 Kodak shutter.. ), for others you just cut your own board from something like plywood, drill hole , screw flange mount onto. If you want quite a dirty - duct tape and drilled board will do too. Looks like crap though. Tension mounting works sometime for short periods of time too (you just cut hole a bit smaller and trying to screw in end of lens or whatever thread is available. Cuter way to do it - use pvc plumbing screw-in bits on both sides of board.. Great way - find mounting flanges ;)

4. Kalart will work with whatever you throw at it (if you handy with grinding wee arm extensions) , however you will need to manually adjust it and it works only with single lens after adjusting. Sooooo.. Ground glass is typically way to go.