PDA

View Full Version : Lens/Shutter CLA Recomendations?

kq6up
21-Apr-2011, 10:51
I was listening to the film photography podcast and one of the hosts mentioned LF lens CLAs can be had for $60. My local repairman wants $125. Any recommendations? I have an Ilex No. 4 with a sticky shutter.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

BrianShaw
21-Apr-2011, 13:50
Mine wanted $135 for the same shutter.

BrianShaw
21-Apr-2011, 13:51
There are a couple of persons who quote around $85.

cdholden
21-Apr-2011, 14:01
Frank Marshman at Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA bought out the last of Ilex stock parts when they closed the doors. If anyone else is lacking parts, he might have them. I just sent him a pair of Ilex shutters for CLA. I hope to be a satisfied customer.
From experience, it's hard to go wrong with S.K.Grimes. They're not cheap, but they are good at what they do.

lenser
21-Apr-2011, 14:18
Just down the road from you in Whittier is Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com.

She charges about $60 for a CLA and is fantastic. There is likely a waiting list, so it pays to contact her before shipping. She IS worth any wait unless you are in a crisis schedule.

Robert Belcher
21-Apr-2011, 14:22
"Just down the road from you in Whittier is Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com."

Ditto!! I have had excellent experience with her--once in a Copal #1 and once with an Ilex #0.

kq6up
21-Apr-2011, 14:33
"Just down the road from you in Whittier is Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com."

Ditto!! I have had excellent experience with her--once in a Copal #1 and once with an Ilex #0.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to try to soak it in lighter fluid first to see if that clears it. It would be nice just to drive it down to Wittier.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up
21-Apr-2011, 19:11
Yeah, the lighter fluid trick worked. The lens came back to life, and the shutter speeds sound ball-park too.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

joselsgil
23-Apr-2011, 21:32
The lighter fluid will work, but only temporarily. As you use the shutter, the oil will start to get back onto the shutter blades. Not only that, but your shutter speeds will not be consistent.

I second Flutot's Camera Repair. Check their website, e-mail or call for info.
Flutot's has repaired and cleaned four of my Compur shutters and I am very happy with their service.

kq6up
9-May-2011, 08:14
@joselsgill I see your point. It is not too bad as far as consistency for B&W, but I can tell that shooting transparency would be a bad idea right now. Also, the B mode has started sticking. It acts like a T mode setting some times. I have to push the cable release again to get it to unstick and close. I am really enjoying the camera. I hate to have to send it in and not be able to use my camera for a month.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up
12-May-2011, 08:50
I sent an email to Flutot's Camera per their email. There was something on their website about the proprietor being ill of late, and that they were taking names for a waiting list. I have heard nothing from them and it has been a week. I guess I need to look into other options. How much does S.K. Grimes charge for a CLA.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up
12-May-2011, 08:58
p.s. Does anyone know how to get an Ilex #4 open. I only see two screws on the front that hold the f/stop plate on. I have a spanner, does the thing just spin apart. I do not want to disasemble the whole shutter works. I would just like to put some white lithium grease on the shutter release pivot points and linkages. It gets sticky some times in B and T mode. Sometimes I have to press again to get the B mode to close, and this happened during a photo shoot where I needed 4 seconds. I just gave up and shot digital for that one. It is not sticking presently. The shutter seems to be behaving well other than that. I exercise it once or twice, and it is consistent after that, but most of these oldies are like that. I have a habit of exercising all of my shutter before I pull the dark slide.

Regards,
Chris Maness

BarryS
12-May-2011, 09:51
There a good guide at http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=acme2 Smaller shutter, but they're similar. Once you remove the face plate screws--it should just lift off, revealing the cam plate--which lifts off without any screws. Once the cam plate is off, you can pop the cover plate (after removing its long screws).

Moopheus
12-May-2011, 11:26
How much does S.K. Grimes charge for a CLA.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

I just got back from them an old Supermatic shutter that they did a thorough job on--it hadn't been used in many years and was quite gunky. Cost me $125 for the CLA. I think I ended up waiting about 3 or 4 weeks for it.

kq6up
12-May-2011, 11:34
Well that sounds reasonable if they are thorough. I just paid $179 for a local tech to go through a Nikon F, and it came back with the B mode not working. I was mad. He fixed it for free, but he should have caught that at the price I paid. This was just for the body. He left the prism alone. He charges $125 for LF shutters, but I think he has lost my business with that last one. To top it off the clerk was giving me a hard time making it out to be my fault for not reporting that the B mode was sticking. The B mode was not sticking -- dork. Sorry, I am not always fond of the poo that repairmen deal out. I am rather allergic to it :o)

Thanks,
Chris Maness