PDA

View Full Version : Leitz Summar 120mm macro

Jack the boatman
21-Apr-2011, 08:22
Hello,

I have a 120mm Leitz Summar macro lens and have just bought a Shen Hao TZ45 11A.

The Summar lens does not have a shutter. Can anyone suggest where I can get a shutter to fit the lens. The thread on the lens is 39mm.

Thanks

Dan Fromm
21-Apr-2011, 09:00
The lens was made to be mounted in front of a shutter. I have no idea whether the cells will fit a standard shutter. You might want to try to extract them from the barrel and measure. Then you'll know.

If you want to front mount, your best bet is probably a Polaroid MP-4 Copal #1 Press shutter. These have no diaphragm so are relatively inexpensive.

Two ways to attach the lens to the shutter. A proper mount adapter -- stepped threaded bushing, SKGrimes or Griturn can make one and it might be a stock item at Griturn -- or line the front of the shutter with darkroom tape so the lens' threads have something to bite into. As is the lens will be a very loose fit, i.e., won't stay in, in the shutter.

Nathan Potter
21-Apr-2011, 09:41
I use this lens occasionally; a bit on the soft side for macro work though. I use a Leitz adapter made for the lens that attaches a Compur shutter to the 39mm rear thread of the lens. The Compur has a 30 mm clear aperture when open and if you can keep the shutter blades within about 20 mm from the rear element you should avoid vignetting.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot insert a standard between the lens shutter since the housing is unibody and much mangling would be required.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.