View Full Version : glass for contact printing

Mando Morlos
5-Mar-2001, 21:48
Is non reflective glass better for contanct printing?

Doug Paramore
5-Mar-2001, 22:03
Mando: No. The non-reflective glass has a texture that will probably show up on your prints. I can't see any advantage in trying to use non-reflective glass. I got my glass at a local glass shop and asked them to cut me a piece of pristine glass without any scratches. I explained what I wanted it for and they were happy to help. It only cost four dollars for a 14"x14" piece.


Sal Santamaura
5-Mar-2001, 23:21
Actually, if you're having problems with newtons rings between the film base and glass, AR coated glass could be beneficial. The "non glare" glass Doug refers to is a completely different animal, and he's correct that you shouldn't use it.

Mark Stevenson
6-Mar-2001, 02:01
I bought a 20x24 contact printing frame for doing this size negative from the formulary for $65 which uses standard window glass and I've yet to notice a newton ring or any other problem except for minor dust, which can easily be remedied, in any of the many prints I've done. Mark

6-Mar-2001, 02:54
I would try to get the thicker 1/8th in thick instead of the standard 1/4 in. Its always been my experience the 1/4 is not heavy to hold the glass flush against the neg.-J

Erik Gould
6-Mar-2001, 13:45
ordinary glass is fine, and i think josh has it backwards: 1/4" glass would of course be heavier than 1/8". I have 1/8" in my contact frames and its not a problem, but i do like a heavier glass for roll film contact sheets, esp. through the sleeves.

Jan erala
6-Mar-2001, 16:42
I've always had problems with newton rings in contact printing. Now I have a plastic filmsleever taped to the glass and I'm printing with the film inside it. The problem with this is that there's eight(!) surfaces collecting dust. An AN glass can't be used because the pattern will be printed through. What is the AR glass Sal mentioned? Is it a sandblasted glass, like a GG?

Sal Santamaura
6-Mar-2001, 19:05
Jan, it's anti-reflection (AR) coated glass. The same AR coatings used on lenses. Available for use in picture framing. I've also heard some say that there are sources of optical quality AR coated glass sheets, but don't know where they might be.

6-Mar-2001, 23:10
My bad it should be 3/8ths not 1/8th. I dont even think there is a 1/8th. oops.-J