PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto 055XProb + Sinar X but which head?!

Alessandro V.
19-Apr-2011, 06:03
Hello,

I have had for a few weeks a Sinar X, my first large format camera, and so far I have used it attached directly to my tripod, a Manfrotto 055XProb.

I know that probably it's not the proper tripod to use but I don't have any other alternative.
The head that I have it's too unstable and therefore I wanted to buy a new one that could hold the Sinar X easily.
Maybe, after a while, I will also get a decent tripod, therefore I would like to buy a good head that I'll be able to use later on...

Have you got any suggestion?!

Thank you very much!

Ale

PS: I was thinking about this one:
http://www.manfrotto.it/product/79413.77464.100955.0.0/468MGRC0/_/Testa_a_sfera_idrostatica_con_attacco_rapido_RC0

Ash
19-Apr-2011, 06:39
When I owned a Calumet monorail I bought a Manfrotto video head (can't remember the model now). It was fairly cheap and could hold a lot of weight. Maybe look at something along those lines?

Alessandro V.
19-Apr-2011, 06:47
Uhm, no thank you, actually I would like a proper head.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway!

Ale

Ash
19-Apr-2011, 06:58
A video head is a proper tripod head. Maybe you need to be more specific.

Using a ball head on such a heavy camera is a bad idea in my opinion.

Kirk Gittings
19-Apr-2011, 07:36
I own that ball head. It works great on DSLRs and lightweight 4x5s, BUT while it would hold your camera, I think it would be a poor choice as it is awkward to use with heavy cameras. Mine has been largely relegated to the shelf. I prefer a geared head, like the Manfroto 410 for just about everything now. 410 (http://www.manfrotto.it/product/0/410/_/Testa_junior_a_cremagliera). I also prefer that quick release plate over the hex plate.

David R Munson
19-Apr-2011, 09:06
OP - nothing wrong with the tripod, even if you do intend to switch to something heavier-duty in the long run.

Can you tell us more about your preferences? As others have pointed out, a ball head isn't necessarily the best choice for something like a Sinar X. It comes down to a lot more than just load capacity. How about this - what is your preference on quick release? Is it something you necessarily need? If so, do you prefer one type over another?

rdenney
19-Apr-2011, 09:31
The best head for a Sinar is a Sinar tilt-head. It tilts on one axis only, and also pans. Tilting in the other axis is done by adjusting the monorail within the tripod clamp. It is compact, immensely strong, and will made directly with the Sinar tripod base. They are not cheap, but they are not more expensive than most suggested alternatives.

I have a 410 head and it is very nice. It requires a quick-release plate that is not Arca compatible or really all that firm in its mounting, unless you really crank down on the screw using a tool. Some care is required. It is great for many cameras but there is a better option for Sinars.

Rick "who owns both" Denney

Peter De Smidt
19-Apr-2011, 12:36
I own a 410, which I like very much. But with a Sinar round rail camera, the Sinar pan/tilt head is really the one to use. It's light, compact, strong, smooth to use, and not all that expensive used.

Joshua Dunn
19-Apr-2011, 12:58
Listen to Rick, the only head to use with a Sinar is the Sinar pan tilt head. I asked the same question myself last year when I was considering a geared tripod head. The best advice (thanks Frank Petronio) I was ever given was to get a Sinar pan tilt head.

Or you can buy two of three other tripod heads and then get a Sinar pan tilt head.

-Joshua

rdenney
19-Apr-2011, 13:53
Or you can buy two of three other tripod heads and then get a Sinar pan tilt head.

Which is what I did.

Rick "hard-headed, but you guys knew that" Denney

Alessandro V.
19-Apr-2011, 14:21
Okay,

I'll try to look for the sinar head!
Thank you!
Does it have any specific name?!

Ale

Peter De Smidt
19-Apr-2011, 17:17
Sinar PAN TILT HEAD 516.41

See: http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/accessories/61-sinar-grossformat-zubehoer/209-kamerahalterungen

john biskupski
1-May-2011, 01:31
Ale, I have a spare one which I am not using and could sell you. I got it off this forum. Send PM if of interest. Cheers, John