PDA

View Full Version : A Tripod Hunt

yeknom02
18-Apr-2011, 13:29
OK, there are a few things I'm going to need before I can start doing proper large format photography, including a focusing loupe and a more protective backpack/transport system. But numero uno on the list is a tripod. Right now I have a Slik U9000. (Pause for laughter.) Great for all my medium format and smaller cameras. Absolute crap for my Toyo 4x5 camera with an extended monorail. Set up a shot and watch the camera slowly aim to the ground... I'm also planning on making an 8x10 pinhole and I expect a similar problem.

In the past, I have had one recommendation for a Tiltall tripod, though this weekend I had the pleasure to see some older Bogens in action. One supported a Speed Graphic (or Crown Graphic...?) and the other supported an Eastman 8x10. Apart from the 8x10 being just plain heavy, both seemed to be pleasures to operate. The former even lacked a quick release, which would be great for me. I hate trying to keep track of my stupid q.r. plate.

Anyway, since I am a cash-strapped student with little access to local resources, I have to find as good a deal as I can, and even then, I need to delay purchasing a tripod until at least May. In the meantime, the best thing to do is research, research, research. The problem is, many I can't typically find the load capacities for older tripods, and I don't even know how much my rig weighs when assembled. So here's my criteria:

- Relatively inexpensive.
- Can handle a Toyo D45M with extended monorail, and all its parts, as well as an 8x10 wooden pinhole.
- 3-way head rather than ball head.
- Uses a screw within the tripod, not a quick release.

I'm thinking a Bogen would work best, but I'd also be receptive to similar brand names. Can anyone recommend a model number for a set of legs and a head?

Thanks for reading and weighing in!

anglophone1
18-Apr-2011, 13:31
Tiltall, no problem with my Speed+ Aero Ektar (heavy) at long extension, also virtually indestructible and relatively cheap, mines an Omnichrom ( not marchioni or leitz) but does the job great!

Peter De Smidt
18-Apr-2011, 13:58
You might look for a used 1990s or newer Gitzo series 3 or 5 tripod with a rational series 5 pan/tilt head. I've not used a Tiltall, and so I can't compare. I'm not a fan of Bogen tripods.

Leigh
18-Apr-2011, 14:46
I have two Majestics, one single-leg (per side) and one double-leg. They'll support any camera you can lift.

When not shooting you can use them to support your car during oil changes.

- Leigh

Jim Jones
18-Apr-2011, 17:40
I've used a Tiltall for 400mm lenses on small cameras and long lenses on a 5x7 with no problem. I'd still be using the one bought second-hand over 40 years ago if I hadn't lost it. Its replacement is another old Tiltall. I almost always use the Tiltall in preference to my other tripods.

John Koehrer
18-Apr-2011, 20:36
Tiltall has a permanently installed head with a 1/4" screw. A similar sized Gitzo would be the Series 2 aka Reporters The Series 3 Gitzo are Studex tripods which would be my choice.
Bogen 3021 would be roughly equal to the Tiltall.

yeknom02
19-Apr-2011, 03:56
Here's a question. Do manufacturers make the legs and the heads exclusive? I.e., can I only use, say, Gitzo heads on Gitzo legs?

Frank Petronio
19-Apr-2011, 04:32
You can mix most heads and legsets because the popular common semi-professional brands have 3/8-16 screws to attach heads. Some combinations work better than others of course.

It is very common to use Gitzo legsets with other manufacturers' expensive ball heads (Arca-Swiss, RRS, Kirk, Foba, Chinese Brand X) for example.

The Tiltall has a dedicated head that is as nice as anything else really. It is really hard to beat an older vintage Tiltall for $100, you probably need to get lucky on a deal or spend $250-plus on used Gitzo to get anything else that is close. I know, I've looked....

Jim Noel
19-Apr-2011, 08:26
Over the years I have bought and sold 50+ tripods of all sizes and makes. It is difficult to beat a Tiltall in good condition. They are still available new for about $100.

yeknom02
19-Apr-2011, 15:08
After a few hours spent searching in frustration, I thought I'd come back here and just beg everyone to start listing tripods that don't feature a quick release and instead have a standard 1/4-20 screw in the head. I hate quick release systems, and I was overjoyed at seeing that one Bogen 3-way head with a simple screw over the weekend. I'm not having any luck searching for something similar so far.

Rick A
19-Apr-2011, 15:26
Freestyle sells Tiltalls for $100(newest version). I've owned the original Marchioni Bros., a Leitz, and a new version, all are good(first two are great)they seem to be able to take a beating and continue to work good. The new ones can be used for a monopd, one leg is removable and the bottom plate from the column installed on it.

Greg Y
19-Apr-2011, 15:32
Ries Tilthead is a great head for large format camerwork

David R Munson
19-Apr-2011, 20:38
Check out the Gitzo pan/tilt heads. Several current and many past options (available used) that might fill your needs well. There have also been plenty of other brands of decent pan/tilt heads that use a mounting screw instead of a QR.

Also, can someone explain to me the draw of Tiltall tripods these days? I've used several and totally fail to see the appeal. Nothing about them seem better than what you can buy today for a reasonable price.

Bill_1856
19-Apr-2011, 20:43
I definitely recommend a TILTALL. Usually under $100 on ebay. Be sure to get the model made by LEITZ, not the current Chinese ones.

Alan Gales
19-Apr-2011, 22:01
If you are patient you can find an inexpensive tripod on Ebay. Look for an older Tiltall. Gitzo aluminum, or Bogen. A lot of times the tripods are sold without a head so you can then buy the head of your choice.

jp
20-Apr-2011, 07:19
Also, can someone explain to me the draw of Tiltall tripods these days? I've used several and totally fail to see the appeal. Nothing about them seem better than what you can buy today for a reasonable price.

I like my tiltall because it's what i've had since college 15 years ago, bought used then from a photographer's widow. I've used various other tripods as well and haven't found anything so hugely innovative I must upgrade from the tiltall. It is functional, rugged, of excellent value, and it looks good (in black or silver or matte silver). I must say I do like the look of my matte silver leitz version under a Rolleiflex or Speed graphic, or my friends newer black one under a DSLR.

Regarding function. Using a tripod outdoors I often get them dirty with mud or sand. Stamped leg tripods like the slik and cheaper get all gritted up with sand or ice and don't extend and retract as well. Round leg tripods like the tiltall clean the legs off as they retract, like the wipers on a hydraulic ram). Round legs like my manfrotto monopod don't clean off as well as the clamp opens differently and is really lose for putting the leg in or out. Cheaper big box store tripods aren't as sturdy (wiggly, loose head) or well made (suited to daily use or varying weather). Other pro tripods seem to focus on slightly lighter weight rather (such as the carbon fiber choices) than function, or are for a big-camera market rather than all purpose (like ries or berlebach).

The tiltall head is also smooth enough operating that it pans a lot nicer than the big box store tripods marketed to video users. I don't do video other than my flip presently, but would think someone would keep panning ability in mind if they keep up with the newest DSLRs that do video. The amount of bite the tiltall head has as you tighten it is very linear as well. Other tripod seem to have a spot where they go from super loose to fairly tight then you have to crank it down more to get to locked-tight. The tiltall goes linearly tighter from loose to "some fluidlike drag resistance", to "don't bump it", to tight. This is nice when making small adjustments to a still photo composition.

I use it for everything from a flip video camera, 35mm, MF, 4x5, and sometimes 8x10 indoors. It's not well suited to 8x10 outdoors or heavy 8x10. Should be fine for a pinhole 8x10 as long as it's not windy.

I also have a cheap surveying tripod for my 8x10, a davis-sanford crankup tripod, a century camera stand, and a manfrotto mopopod. I mostly use the tiltall but would consider a manfrotto if forced to change for medium-sized needs. I would like a berlebach or ries for 8x10 use, but it's not a high priority.

I had a slik u212 before that and still have it but mostly just use it occasionally as a stand to hold a reflector. I prefer not to use a proprietary quick release like it uses. There have been times when I wasn't able to use it for a camera tripod as I'd misplaced the q.r.

yeknom02
25-Apr-2011, 16:31
Just an update, I ended up getting a Tiltall (Marchioni 4602) on eBay. I'm hoping that it can handle my LF needs.

Bill_1856
25-Apr-2011, 16:43
Just an update, I ended up getting a Tiltall (Marchioni 4602) on eBay. I'm hoping that it can handle my LF needs.

Great choice. You may never need another tripod.

John Kasaian
25-Apr-2011, 19:30
I've had three Tiltalls. One was ripped off, the second, a Tiltall Junior (Marchioni) for MF and the third, an old aluminium finished Lietz war horse sees service on my 5x7 Speed Graphic and Graphic View 2.
I'm rather fond of old Tiltalls! :D

yeknom02
26-Apr-2011, 11:48
Now I'm starting to wonder if the 4602 is appropriate for a 7-lb monorail camera. I guess I'll find out with experience.

I saw somewhere that there's some sort of conversion you can do with the center column, such as turn it into a monopod or tabletop tripod. Does this sound familiar to anyone? and while we're at it, is there a guide on how to use it somewhere online?

Rick A
28-Apr-2011, 06:13
I have a Calumet cc-401 that sits on a Tiltall, weighs a good bit more than your flyweight, and its never let me down.

yeknom02
28-Apr-2011, 07:12
The Tiltall arrived yesterday, and two minutes with it told me that this would be very appropriate. I also dig the aluminum look, though it could use some polishing up (primarily to remove some tape residue).

The problem I noticed is that one of the legs' bottom segments (the one closest to the foot) does not stay where it's supposed to. You can tighten the knurled ring on the segment above to try locking it in place, but with a small amount of force, it will move in or out. Does anyone know what causes this, and whether there's a fix?

Bill_1856
28-Apr-2011, 10:10
http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/p/tiltall-replacement-parts.html

Unless you got it awfully cheap I'd send it back and get another one.

yeknom02
28-Apr-2011, 10:15
It was only $50, so I'm inclined to keep it - it's nearly perfect, too. I unscrewed that leg to look at the bushing and all and it looks fine to me, but then again, I don't know what causes a loose leg. With the simplicity of this tripod's assembly, there's got to be some sort of quick, cheap, and easy fix for this problem.

E. von Hoegh
29-Apr-2011, 12:10
The locking ring needs cleaning and lubrication. Best to do both bushings on all three legs.