PDA

View Full Version : Any Gandolfi users out there?

James B. McCourtney
18-Apr-2011, 11:15
Hello. New to the forum.

I'm a professional photographer who uses two size formats (4x5 & 8x10) Gandolfi's.

I'm currently wrapping up a book project of 8x10 portraits.

Would love to share and resource information concerning the Gandolfi wooden field cameras. Thanks

Ole Tjugen
18-Apr-2011, 11:22
I'm here!

Three Gandolfis - 10x8" Precision, 7x5" Traditional, 5x4" Universal. That last one is from around 1930, and came to me in pristine condition with an uncut lens board...

James B. McCourtney
18-Apr-2011, 11:38
Since I left England years ago It's been difficult, when discussing formats, to switch the numbers around.

In the late 60's and early 70's, Fred Gandolfi custom built my two cameras and they've always had a special place for me. I use my 8x10 more often, particularily with my personal projects. What a beautiful camera.

On occasion I might need some minor repair or even an additional lensboard. So stay in touch and we can discuss the use of the camera or any particular projects.

Take care and thanks for responding.

Ole Tjugen
18-Apr-2011, 13:15
Some pictures...

First the little old 5x4" Universal, next the 10x8" Precision (which, when I opened it contained a newspaper clipping with Fred Gandolfi's obituary), and finally the 5x4" Variant which I no longer have. I took some good pictures with it, but it got replaced by a Carbon Infinity...

cjbroadbent
18-Apr-2011, 14:55
James, Nice to hear another (expat) Gandolfi user. I use a 8x10 Precision and a 4x5. I have some correspondence with the brothers before the accident. They were short of seasoned wood and brass fittings.
Did you notice that an 8x10 Sinar lens-board fits the Gandofi? I glued some felt to the rear of the board for a tighter fit. Also he big Gitzo low profile head matches both tripod holes in the 8x10 base-board. Two screws are better than one.
How do you centre the lens-boards horizontally and keep them centred?

William Whitaker
18-Apr-2011, 16:03
5x7 Gandolfi here; of unknown vintage. It takes Technika lens boards in what appears to be a factory front panel.

James B. McCourtney
19-Apr-2011, 07:47
CJ - When setting up, I center only by eyesight. With a 360mm Schneider and shooting mostly portraits, it doesn't really become a factor. The schneider has tremendous coverage. What's in the ground glass is what is ultimately important.
Back in the mid 70's I picked-up a new Majestic tripod (massive), used a sheet of thin rubber, glued to the head-base and only need the one 3/8" screw to lock it down tightly.

I did not stay in touch with Fred after the mid 70's - so what was the accident? I basically do my own thing and do not keep up with current events. Anyway those guys were the sweetest. I too have many correspondences with the shop - particularily Fred, as he updated me constantly about the 10x8 build. Before I left England, and telling him I was moving back to the states where he finally shipped it to me - he was always excited about his camera being used in the good ole' USA. Many hand typed letters. I believe my total invoice back then was for around 335 english pounds.

James B. McCourtney
19-Apr-2011, 07:56
Ole - Your 10x8 is almost identical to mine except for some minor things. I asked Fred for some leather bellows and some extra minor details. We spent a day at the shop where he and I picked out some special Cuban mahogany that his father had air-dried years before. Our concern was the humidity in the tropics. And, I have traveled back to Cuba with that camera several times - back to where that wood had originated.

James B. McCourtney
19-Apr-2011, 08:21
A personal project I did a few years back for the family. A few portraits shown.

http://www.blurb.com/books/67451

Currently working on a large book of portraits - hopefully to be published soon.

Andrew Plume
20-Apr-2011, 04:59
Hi James

here's a link to Arthur Gandolfi's obit - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-arthur-gandolfi-1481232.html

and a link to some very interesting family history too - http://www.gandolfi-film.co.uk/index.html

regards

andrew

Emil Schildt
20-Apr-2011, 06:54
I'm in too..

Have 6 Gandolfi's

a 4x5 - a half plate Louis Gandolfi stereo - a 5x7 black - a full plate - an 10x8 and a huge 12x16...

Ole: I'd like to buy your 4x5 - (don't have that model...):D

James B. McCourtney
21-Apr-2011, 17:19
Andrew - thanks for those bio's and old photos. Looking back, it was a special time.

Stu5
24-Apr-2011, 08:45
I own a black 10x8 Gandolfi complete with full plate, 5x7 and 5x4 backs and sinar lens panel. Also own a Fogg bag that was designed for it. I use to know Brian who owned the company but he died a few years ago after taking it over from the Gandolfi brothers. I use to sell the cameras to camera shops for a short while if they were interested in them. Also did a Focus trade show at the NEC with Gandolfi. Use to regularly go up to the factory as it was only a 20 minute drive. Also did the first light test at the factory of the Gandolfi Variant a few days before it launched at the show. Quite a nervous wait as the Polaroid developed! Everything was fine though. After Brians death the factory moved to near Salisbury where is remains today. I see now though they only do repairs and lens boards. Think that happened this year. The person who runs it now was one of the guys who was making the cameras when they were based at Andover. Brian use to say he was very talented at his job and had a real feel for it.

Emil Schildt
24-Apr-2011, 15:43
Love to hear about these cameras and the history behind...

I have two images with my cameras - I really must go make better images of them! they deserve it...:(

James B. McCourtney
25-Apr-2011, 08:45
Stu - now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that the black version was an option. I do remember, at the shop, seeing the black tri-pods. Another unique thing, with my 5x4, Fred threw in a used hard leather case that he said was made at the shop years earlier.
I don't see the attachment click for photos but, when I do find it, I can post a shot.

Emil Schildt
25-Apr-2011, 08:59
Stu - now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that the black version was an option. I do remember, at the shop, seeing the black tri-pods. Another unique thing, with my 5x4, Fred threw in a used hard leather case that he said was made at the shop years earlier.
I don't see the attachment click for photos but, when I do find it, I can post a shot.

I have two gandolfi triposa, and also a very well made leather case for my 10x8..

I can take some pics

James B. McCourtney
25-Apr-2011, 09:05
I think I figured it out.

Notice the lens box that Fred made, and not in the photo, my wooden numbered holders with additional back.

Emil Schildt
25-Apr-2011, 09:14
I think I figured it out.

Notice the lens box that Fred made, and not in the photo, my wooden numbered holders with additional back.

that looks beautiful!

My leather case hasn't room for lenses, but for cassettes and/or my 4x5 reducing back...

Come to think of it, I also have an ancient (imperfect as it is missing the lid) leather case for my Lois Gandolfi stereo camera - and room for the 6 cassettes...

edit: sorry for the really crappy digisnaps...

David Loney
5-Mar-2012, 19:44
I'm now a proud 10x8 Gandolfi owner of less than a week.

I've shot two sheets so far and looking forward to shooting much more.

I've sent mine to Eddie Hill for a service and can't wait to get it back.

Will post some photos later...

Bill_1856
5-Mar-2012, 20:57
I just bought a Full Plate camera right before Christmas (through the For Sale column on this forum), but I'm going to have to sell it. I knew the bellows was not good, but I thought that I could patch it up. Unfortunately, it is way beyond the patch it up stage and will have to be replaced, and I'm not in a situation to do it myself or have it done locally.
What a magnificant work of art those cameras are.

Sal Santamaura
6-Mar-2012, 08:32
...I'm going to have to sell it...the bellows...will have to be replaced, and I'm not in a situation to do it myself or have it done locally.
...Noooo, don't sell, after you wanted one for so long! Contact Richard Ritter for advice on how to proceed. There's got to be an affordable path to new bellows.

Greg Blank
8-Mar-2012, 16:44
Sal can Richard repair the Variant? I have one that although working, might benefit from some repairs.

Sal Santamaura
8-Mar-2012, 22:04
I referred Bill to him because of his reputation for custom repairs and modifications on all types of cameras. No idea whether there's anything special about the Variant that might make it different; an email to Richard will provide you that answer.

aluncrockford
23-Mar-2012, 17:25
If you still have the camera and want to sort out the bellows the originals were made by custom bellows and as they are still going just get in touch with them and they can supply you an exact replacement http://www.custombellows.co.uk/index.html

Bill_1856
23-Mar-2012, 20:13
If you still have the camera and want to sort out the bellows the originals were made by custom bellows and as they are still going just get in touch with them and they can supply you an exact replacement http://www.custombellows.co.uk/index.html

Apparently not -- they wanted the frames sent in order to size it. Like you I presumed they could/would supply the correct size from patterns on hand.

zenny
13-Jul-2012, 00:47
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Well said, Greg! :-D

/zenny

---

Support http://thehumanape.com

Emil Schildt
12-Nov-2012, 18:04
I didn't get to buy the fantastic cuba mahogany 4x5 version for sale here earlier....

So I just went crazy!

I am now the (maybe) proud owner of a fine quarter plate Gandolfi camera made before my father was born....

I didn't know they had made these small ones, but I am anxious to get it and see it up close.. It will be a nive addition to my growing numbers of Gandolfi's..

Bill_1856
12-Nov-2012, 21:16
New bellows fitted by Jim Ormond makes it a real whole plate treasure, and the shutter repairs at Flutot are the iceing on the cake.
I still havent made any pictures with it -- I'm sure that I never will. Got to get around to listing it one of these days.

Roger Hesketh
13-Nov-2012, 05:42
I have a 5x7 Gandolfi Field camera, for which I also have a 4x5 reducing back. I could not afford a 10x8 Gandolfi so a few years ago I made a 10x8 reducing back for a 10x12 Vageeswari camera utilising an orphaned 10x8 Gandolfi camera back I managed to find. So what I have now is I suppose partially Gandolfi. In terms of quality of construction their is not a lot between them. The Vageeswari is very well made. Earlier in this thread their was a discussion on the lens board sizes on Gandolfi cameras. Mine has a really strange size it took some doing but which I have now identified the size as being from an MPP Micro Press camera. Presumably the original owner had an M.P.P Micro press and asked for the camera to be made that way so he could swap lens boards between them. It is a bit of a PITA because it means I can not also do that unless I also use a Micropress. The MPP boards are the same size as those on a Pacemaker Speed Graphics but thinner. The Pacemaker boards will not fit. So I make my own lens boards but it also means I have to have a set of lenses exclusively for use on this camera.

IanG
13-Nov-2012, 06:01
The MPP boards are the same size as those on a Pacemaker Speed Graphics but thinner. The Pacemaker boards will not fit. So I make my own lens boards but it also means I have to have a set of lenses exclusively for use on this camera.

Not really wanting to hijack a Gandolfi thread but the MPP MicroPress front standard is identical to the Pacemaker Standard, the MicroPress is a Speed Graphic in a Celestion made casing with a British rangefinder. So that's strange as all my Pacemaker boards fit one.

Ian

Roger Hesketh
13-Nov-2012, 08:52
Hi Ian

On the left M.P.P. board On the right Pacemaker Speed Graphic board

M.P.P. board fits camera

Pacemaker Speed Graphic board sadly does not

Homemade board not pretty but it works.

I have of course considered fitting longer screws and then washers behind the sliding plates to stop them wobbling about but came to the conclusion that it would it would not be so tight and I would not gain much from using Pacemaker boards as I tend to use barrel lenses on Graphics anyway conversely it is generally more convenient to use shuttered lenses on the Field camera.Thank you for your input. Interesting that Pacemaker boards will fit your camera. It would appear that the Gandolfi brothers tolerances were tighter than M.P.P's.

Thanks
Roger

IanG
13-Nov-2012, 10:00
I understand now Roger, the MicroPress can use Pacemaker lens board (it is a Pacemaker standar after all) but your Gandolfi has been made to take MPP's own version of the lens boards which has a different edge.

The PicroPress is a strange collaboration between MPP/Celestion (same owners) and Graflex and shrouded in some mystery. However the shutter, shutter release, complete front standard, focus bed, bellows are all Graflex made. The original teeth for the focus are machined off and a new tracks fitted. At the time the MicropPress was released there were severe Import restictions in the UK and virtually no Imported cameras, this appears to be a way around the restricions for Graflex.

Ian

Emil Schildt
25-Aug-2013, 04:14
Stumbled over this film about the Gandolfi cameras...

Thought you should know... (Swedish page, but the film is in english..)

http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/tv-dokumentar-om-kameratillverkarna-gandolfi.htm

Bill_1856
25-Aug-2013, 08:39
Whole Plate.
Brad, where in Florida?

William Whitaker
25-Aug-2013, 15:22
Stumbled over this film about the Gandolfi cameras...

Thought the bit with the lady under the hairdryer was odd. Kind of reminded me of a piece about some other brothers, Doug and Dinsdale.

Not quite an action thriller, but very interesting nonetheless, both for the subject matter and for the directorial style. The fascination is in the details.

Emil Schildt
29-Aug-2013, 04:16
How FRUSTRATING!!!

Now there's an interesting (for me) Gandolfi police camera with 11 cassettes for sale on that auction site...

And the owner is afraid to ship to Denmark (from UK), as she(?) once lost a Hasselblad in the post....

I would LOVE to have that camera... so now I am frustrated..

William Whitaker
30-Aug-2013, 09:33
The film's gone now from the fotosidan site. Drat!! I'd wanted to see it again. Does anyone know if it's for sale anywhere?

Emil Schildt
31-Aug-2013, 07:44
The film's gone now from the fotosidan site. Drat!! I'd wanted to see it again. Does anyone know if it's for sale anywhere?

Sorry - I can't help you here..

Emil Schildt
17-Dec-2013, 09:37
Just got Gandolfi nr9...

A beauty of a 4x5 tailboard one but with more modern spring back...

(BTW: I don't understand why this thread is in this forum?)

Steven Tribe
17-Dec-2013, 10:43
Just press the "black triangle" and ask
the moderators (nicely!) to move it to the cameras thread. I do it all the time!

Emil Schildt
17-Dec-2013, 18:04
thanks

Now it feels like home...

Scott Sharp
5-Nov-2014, 14:05
I just got this Gandolfi Whole Plate camera and need some help with identifying the model and the approximate age.

This model has black paint and nickel chromed hardware. It has the ivory colored Gandolfi label. The screws on the base are all aligned perfectly, the screws for the rest of the camera hardware are not. Looks like the leather handle and hardware are not original. It has a 5 x 7 back that has matching black paint and chrome hardware. The 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 back is missing. Weight with no lens or lens board is 7.75 lbs.

Thanks,

Scott

karl french
5-Nov-2014, 14:39
Definitely not an original Gandolfi handle. Often times there is a number stamped on the inside of the back or rear standard, which I believe indicates the year of manufacture.

Scott Sharp
5-Nov-2014, 21:34
The only number I can find is stamped on the bellows frame, after taking off the GG back. A No. 1 is stamped on there and that is it.

I am thinking this Gandolfi camera is from the 1950's or 60's. But with the No. 1 stamped on there it's anyone's guess......

Emil Schildt
6-Nov-2014, 08:13
I looks just like mine - I have 9 Gandolfi's and no one has any number anywhere, so I think Gandolfi's are notoriously difficult to date...

However I was told mine (probably) was from the fifties....

Scott Sharp
7-Nov-2014, 09:46
Any reason Gandolfi made this camera in black and chrome instead of the traditional French polished mahogany and lacquered brass? Medical, police or government order perhaps?

I was guessing mine was from the fifties or sixties. The black finish is in excellent condition, the nickel chrome finish is wearing off in places.

Emil Schildt
7-Nov-2014, 09:57
no idea...

You see mine looks a lot like yours... (My all time favorite LF camera so far...)

Scott Sharp
7-Nov-2014, 12:16
Gandolfi, your black & chrome model is in beautiful condition. Not bad for a 50 to 60 year old camera. A 5 x 7 I assume with a vintage Tessar mounted.

One question I had is the front focus knob. There is no smaller tightening or tension knob for the front focus knob as there is for the rear focus knob?

My front focus knob shaft is bent and will need to be straightened before I can rack the front standard out. A minor problem, the rest of the camera is solid.

djdister
7-Nov-2014, 12:54
You see mine looks a lot like yours... (My all time favorite LF camera so far...)

A very handsome camera indeed, has a grand piano look ...

Emil Schildt
8-Nov-2014, 03:08
Gandolfi, your black & chrome model is in beautiful condition. Not bad for a 50 to 60 year old camera. A 5 x 7 I assume with a vintage Tessar mounted.

One question I had is the front focus knob. There is no smaller tightening or tension knob for the front focus knob as there is for the rear focus knob?

My front focus knob shaft is bent and will need to be straightened before I can rack the front standard out. A minor problem, the rest of the camera is solid.

beautiful indeed - 7x5 back but I use metric film (13x18cm)...

And it was a good 240mm Heliar on the front...

No - there is no extra tightning knob on mine also - it is not needed onmine, at the front focusing mechanism is tight enough by it self...

case-ie
30-Nov-2015, 16:04
I will try to bring some live to this thread again. Just because I want to talk about the camera that I own for little over a week now,

I want to know more about them. And I also want to know about my camera, who owned it and what kind of pictures were taken with it.
I can't remember I had that with any other camera. The seller will make inquiries for me, he knew it belonged to a professional photographer from London. In the backframe is written -Irwin new back-
I'm talking about my 8x10 Gandolfi and I think it is a Precision. Bellows are to far gone on the corners ( normally I would see that as a setback), but in some time I order new ones from Custom Bellows, and till that time wrap the darkcloth around it.
Modified a film holder for wet plate and I use the camera, also outside. The camera itself just has presence, it's completly honest, and so beautifully made, it not only influences my photographs , it influences me.
A picture with a homemade lens board for a Dallmeijer 3A which it holds without problems, I could go on, but save some for a later date

Emil Schildt
3-Dec-2015, 13:22
Yeah!! - got my self a nice Little present... just bought this tiny quarter plate Gandolfi camera.. just look at those screws....

Tony Lakin
4-Dec-2015, 04:35
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10653

Emil Schildt
4-Dec-2015, 07:24
eeh?

Tony Lakin
5-Dec-2015, 05:15
eeh?

?

Emil Schildt
5-Dec-2015, 06:01
?

:D - I think I got it... I'd love him to post here so we can see the Wonder. not a member there...

IanG
5-Dec-2015, 06:36
:D - I think I got it... I'd love him to post here so we can see the Wonder. not a member there...

He does :D

Ian

Tony Lakin
5-Dec-2015, 07:06
He does :D

Ian

:)

Tony Lakin
5-Dec-2015, 07:21

I am Vanannan from FADU guessing you can't view photos on FADU so:-143071143073

Emil Schildt
5-Dec-2015, 08:06
I am Vanannan from FADU guessing you can't view photos on FADU so:-143071143073

Well - I am ignorant or just bad in guessing.. :) Very beautiful set there! and great story around it.

case-ie
5-Dec-2015, 11:19
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10653

In a way a pity you are not going to use it, but it is very beautiful.
What year was it made?
And keep us posted about the film.

Kees.

Emil Schildt
7-Dec-2015, 14:59
new 4x5 coming my way...

Islandor
6-May-2016, 10:14

Looks like this thread has been pretty quiet... I just purchased this beauty from an auction tonight, now I just need to learn about it... model... what I will need to make photos with it (film backs et al) 150514 but have a few lenses to get stared with. The seller said it was re-conditioned by Gandolfi in 1990, new bellows and such... and I'll try not to let it sit there in its beautiful condition and collect dust :)

I just joined recently so bear with me as I'm a true 'newbie' at LF.

Islandor
6-May-2016, 23:04

Looks like this thread has been pretty quiet... I just purchased this beauty from an auction tonight, now I just need to learn about it... model... what I will need to make photos with it (film backs et al) 150514 but have a few lenses to get stared with. The seller said it was re-conditioned by Gandolfi in 1990, new bellows and such... and I'll try not to let it sit there in its beautiful condition and collect dust :)

I just joined recently so bear with me as I'm a true 'newbie' at LF.

I think this is the Gandolfi 4x5 Field Camera, manufactured from the 1890's into the 20th century... if anybody can verify that, or correct me, it would be very helpful. Hopefully when I receive it there will be some numbers on it somewhere... Also trying to get the Auction House to pass my name to the original owner so that I can get a better history for it.

Emil Schildt
7-May-2016, 01:14
I think this is the Gandolfi 4x5 Field Camera, manufactured from the 1890's into the 20th century... if anybody can verify that, or correct me, it would be very helpful. Hopefully when I receive it there will be some numbers on it somewhere... Also trying to get the Auction House to pass my name to the original owner so that I can get a better history for it.

first of all: if a newbie it is like getting your first car, and then chose a RollsRoyce... :)

Congrats.

This is certainly not as old as you think - it is the Gandolfi "Traditional" (or sometimes called "Precision") and it is made not earlier than the fourties I think (as I remember it, they started these models around 1930). Not a good image of the back, but I think I can see it to be made to use modern holders (could have been done by the re-condition by Gandolfi - or just a sign of it to be even newer than the fourties...) No numbers - Gandolfi is notoriously hard to date. Then name plaque might help a little as they vary over time...
In any case: it is a joy to use! Congrats. Now: go use it!!

Islandor
7-May-2016, 05:23
first of all: if a newbie it is like getting your first car, and then chose a RollsRoyce... :)

Congrats.

This is certainly not as old as you think - it is the Gandolfi "Traditional" (or sometimes called "Precision") and it is made not earlier than the fourties I think (as I remember it, they started these models around 1930). Not a good image of the back, but I think I can see it to be made to use modern holders (could have been done by the re-condition by Gandolfi - or just a sign of it to be even newer than the fourties...) No numbers - Gandolfi is notoriously hard to date. Then name plaque might help a little as they vary over time...
In any case: it is a joy to use! Congrats. Now: go use it!!

Thanks Emil, much appreciated!!! It didn't come with any holders so it may be nice if it will take a more modern type that may be easier to find. Hopefully I will have it in a week or so and I'll get back to you with any close up photos of any name plates and such. Thanks again, great info :-) I also have a photo of the back here: 150530

Emil Schildt
7-May-2016, 08:13
jep - modern spring back, so easy to find...

(Look at the name plaques here - I don't have dates on them but as you see they vary a lot...)

Islandor
7-May-2016, 08:18
jep - modern spring back, so easy to find...

(Look at the name plaques here - I don't have dates on them but as you see they vary a lot...)

Thanks again Emil, they did use a lot of different ones! I'll let you know when it arrives, about bed time here in this part of the world :-)