PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Graflok Sliding back Adapter

kiran.wish@gmail.com
18-Apr-2011, 06:34
I thought I'll post my first question here! I have Sinar Graflok Sliding back Adapter but have some questions related to its usage. I have a Sinar F camera. If anybody owns this and knows how to work it, please let me know. Hopefully I can get my questions answered. Thanks!

B.S.Kumar
18-Apr-2011, 18:24
I've owned and used several sliding backs, including those made by Sinar, Phase One, Kapture Group, etc.

Sinar made several kinds of sliding backs that were to be used with the ground glass back removed and replaced with the sliding back. Later backs for digital replace the entire rear frame - the back mounts directly to the rear standard, and the bellows is attached to it. Which kind do you have? Or is it a generic one made by a third party?

Kumar

kiran.wish@gmail.com
18-Apr-2011, 18:39
Actually I have one made by Sinar. It's international Graflok mount. I intend to use it with Horseman 6x12 and 6x8 when I'm not shooting 4x5s. But somehow when I fit the back on to the camera the sliding is restricted by rear movement controls. So inserted rear standard reverse and I swung the back completely so the controls are bellows facing so I could slide between the roll back and the ground glass easily. By doing this I completely lose back movements (Not that it matters with Grandagon 75 I've been shooting, still). This made me wonder if I was using it right. If this is not clear, I can take some pictures and post soon.

B.S.Kumar
18-Apr-2011, 19:15
Please post some photos of the adapter alone, as well as mounted on the camera.

Kumar

kiran.wish@gmail.com
20-Apr-2011, 18:21
Traveling and haven't had time to take the pictures yet. I'll post them after the long weekend. Thanks

kiran.wish@gmail.com
26-Apr-2011, 06:21
This is an ebay auction link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350343074748&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT but this is the EXACT rapid sliding back I have. I wonder if there is a manual to work this.

brianjnelson
27-Apr-2011, 10:16
Kiran,

I have this same Sinar sliding back. I got it about 15 years ago but haven't used it in about 9 years, I'm looking now to see if I have a book for it.

I don't recall having any problems with the sliding of the back being limited by the rear movement controls. It may be that I was using it on a P2 with longer lenses than a 75mm. This is a good excuse to blow the dust off of my camera and back and see if I can figure something out. I'll put it on a F standard as well and get back to you.

Brian

brianjnelson
27-Apr-2011, 10:50
Kiran,

It appears that the back is made for the P & P2 but not intended for the F series rear standard. I tried it on both the older F standard and the newer F2 and neither had the clearance below the frame that the back goes onto. I'll try to post some images later to illustrate.

I'm not sure the F standard is ridged enough for the sliding back and forth.

Brian

kiran.wish@gmail.com
27-Apr-2011, 12:46
Thanks for the reply and the email Brian. I would have dismissed the usage of the back on F series as well due to spacing issue but the kit that it came in had back and the the Horseman 6x12 holder and the original owner might have been just shooting roll as there were no 4x5 holders. As I already said in email, I can use it by reversing the rear standard just want to confirm that's the right way. Thanks again!

Armin Seeholzer
27-Apr-2011, 13:04
Hi Sinar recomands for the 4x5 sliding back the stronger P/P2 8x10 rear standard!!!!!!!

Cheers Armin from Sinar State!!

brianjnelson
27-Apr-2011, 14:00
Kiran,

Leave your rear standard in the correct position. Disconnect the bellows. Loosen the lock to SWING the rear. SWING it 180 degrees. You should now have your rear movements and there will be enough clearance to mount the Rapid Back.

This worked on my gear here. Let me know if you have any problems.

Brian J.

B.S.Kumar
27-Apr-2011, 17:30
Using the reversed standard will do the trick, as Brian J. says. It is a minor inconvenience.

Kumar