PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy gaffer's tape?

BetterSense
17-Apr-2011, 20:33
I need to seal up some light leaks in a camera but I want the tape to be easy to remove and not leave a residue. I have heard of gaffer's tape but I have never personally used it. Is it lightproof?

munz6869
17-Apr-2011, 20:37
Sitting at my desk here, I just tried shining a torch through some Nashua 357 Gaffer's tape, and the answer is definitely "no, it is not lightproof" - I could clearly see the beam...

Marc!

Heespharm
17-Apr-2011, 20:37
Yes it is pretty much light proof... At the very least a double layer is for sure light proof... As far as where to buy, I get mine from a local camera store in Houston or any guitar center

munz6869
17-Apr-2011, 20:39
just tried a double layer upon Heespharm's suggestion, and that was much more successful - I couldn't see the beam!

Marc!

vinny
17-Apr-2011, 20:54
It leaves a residue and isn't nearly as soft/opaque as photo black paper tape. Filmtools.com

I Am Luna
17-Apr-2011, 22:29
I bought mine from B&H, (General Brand Gaffer Cloth Tape - Matte Black - 2" x 12 Yards).

From my experience, it is lightproof but you should double/triple layer it just in case. I had some on my Leica M2 covering up a huge hole where the strap lug should be. Never had a light leak on the film.
Before I used black electrical tape. It left a bad residue that I had to clean up with some alcohol.
The gaffer's tape I left on there for over a few months, in extreme heat and humidity, came off as easy as it went on and didn't leave any residue. I also have plenty on my 5D Mark II, which is treated horribly (rain, left in car for hours in the tropical sun, over night in the humidity, and some more cold rain) but it still leaves no residue. I switch it out every 6 months.

Robert A. Zeichner
18-Apr-2011, 03:32
http://strattoncamera.com/expendables.html

This place has more different types of tape in stock than just about any place I've seen. Their black photographic tape might be a better choice for patching bellows if you are worried about residue.

lenicolas
18-Apr-2011, 03:57
The gaffer's tape I left on there for over a few months, in extreme heat and humidity, came off as easy as it went on and didn't leave any residue. I also have plenty on my 5D Mark II, which is treated horribly (rain, left in car for hours in the tropical sun, over night in the humidity, and some more cold rain) but it still leaves no residue. I switch it out every 6 months.

Why do you hate your cameras? :D

Doremus Scudder
18-Apr-2011, 04:17
My experience with gaffers' tape is not so positive. When left on for extended periods, the adhesive dries and decomposes, leaving a hard residue that is difficult to get off. Gaffers' tape was designed for lighting purposes and to be easy to remove after a short time. It was never intended to be a permanent adhesive for anything.

For bellows I would definitely try to find something thinner (gaffers' tape is thick and, especially in two or three layers, will be hard to fold) and more light proof. Calumet marketed a "bellows repair tape" at one time. Black photographic tape is lightproof and thin, but also leaves a residue (not a problem if you wish to leave it on permanently...)

Other options for repairing bellows include liquid plastic compounds. I'd likely try one of them first if I needed a permanent repair. Surely, some of the users of this method will chime in soon, so wait till you have all your options before starting.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

BetterSense
18-Apr-2011, 06:18
It's not really for bellows. I have a 4x5 box camera with a removable lens board. The lens board doesn't have good enough baffling where it mounts on, so light can leak around the edges sometimes. I want to put 4 strips of tape inside the camera to seal it off, but I also want the tape to be removable and not leave a residue, since I take the lens board off for transport. Something that is removable and doesn't leave a residue is more important than 100% light-tightness in this case. I don't want to use foil tape, duct tape, or electrical tape, but there must be something out there better.

Jim Jones
18-Apr-2011, 06:28
You might build up a baffle from mat board or foamcore, and attach it with rubber cement. Some styles of lensboards are so easy to make that a proper board becomes a logical solution.

Frank Petronio
18-Apr-2011, 06:44
Real Gaffer's tape is nice for sets but since you can't readily buy it locally at the hardware store I make do with various painter's low-tack blue tape, Duct tape, clear packing tape, and other common items. For light sealing, that black rubberized drip-grip stuff works a lot nicer than any tape.

BetterSense
18-Apr-2011, 07:52
You might build up a baffle from mat board or foamcore, and attach it with rubber cement.

That's a good idea. I may be able to make a removable baffle to do that. Right now the lens board has a cone on it, for extra focal length, and I can take the lens board off and flip it over for transport, so that the lens is sticking into the camera. If I was to give up the ability to flip the lens board, I may as well glue the lens board on to seal the leaks. But I may be able to make a removable baffle that is held on by the same screws that holds on the lens board itself.

Bart B
1-May-2011, 18:49
I've got almost two rolls (1 plus another with about 4 yards used) of 48mm wide black 3M gaffers tape. Got it free from 3M via a wholesaler in California when I saw their ad for it on line. Emailed the wholesale house and asked what one roll cost, but it ain't sold that way. So the sales girl got 3M to send me two rolls free "for evaluation." What a deal!!!!!

It's good stuff; 99% light tight as much as I can tell with a bright flashlight, but that's what the original tape is. I don't think hinge tape has to be light proof; the baffles on the flaps block light. Repaired several Riteway film holder hinges with it.

I'll be glad to send you or anyone a few yards for $5 which is the price of a small flat rate envelope through the US Postal Service.

Here's a link to that tape: http://www.shop3m.com/70006327954.html

BetterSense
8-May-2011, 18:40
I bought a roll at Guitar Center for $20. I thought that as expensive, but it's probably a lifetime supply.

danno@cnwl.igs
12-May-2011, 15:49
Try this link.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32181&cat=1,110,43466

Jehu
12-May-2011, 16:03
Guitar Center - $19.99 per roll.
I just bought some for retaping some 8x10 holders. Worked great.

ROL
12-May-2011, 17:26
Real Gaffer's tape is nice for sets but since you can't readily buy it locally at the hardware store I make do with various painter's low-tack blue tape, Duct tape, clear packing tape, and other common items.

The last roll I purchased was at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), a fairly ubiquitous chain, at least a couple of years ago.