PDA

View Full Version : Juneau in June?

h2oman
17-Apr-2011, 14:22
I have an opportunity to go to Juneau in June for a math educators conference, but can schedule some days around the conference. I've done just the tiniest bit of research on the internet, but before doing any more I figured I might probe the forum first. My interest is primarily landscapes. I found one photo tour to the Mendenhall Glacier that I figure might work if I take my dslr, in order to keep pace with others on the tour. What about "self-serve" opportunities?

Peter Mounier
18-Apr-2011, 08:04
The Perseverance Trail behind Juneau, and along Gold Creek is incredible. It is between Mt. Roberts and Mt. Juneau. You access it from Basin Road. From there you can continue up the trail which isn't a difficult hike, or you can take off on the Flume trail, which is an old water flume. You will find very lush rain forest as you walk on the Flume trail and on the flume itself.
Also behind Juneau is Mt. Roberts. You can take the trail, which I think is at least a couple miles, maybe as many as four miles to the top. Again very nice wooded hike, but more strenuous than the Flume walk. You can also get to the top of Mt. Roberts via the tram, then walk down the trail. Here's a (small format) picture of the Flume Trail...

http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/FlumeTrail.jpg

Peter

John Kasaian
18-Apr-2011, 08:20
Lucky you! Juneau is a beautiful place---the rugged Alaskan beauty looks like it's going to fall on top of you, it is so close!
It's been far too long since I've been there.
I'm jealous!

alan-salsman
18-Apr-2011, 14:53
Juneau is a temperate rain forest,it can rain a lot.You will have lots of light as june 26 is the longest day of the year.You will have 18-20 hours of day light.Shooting is great after clearing storms,and the weather can change quickly If you have a car park at the Mendenhall glacier and walk out to the observation point,Good shooting all around and you will see and probably hear Nugget creek falls,you can back track and walk to the face of the falls close to the face of the glacier,Great pictures to be had there.There are many other trails at the west glacier,and also on the east side. Another good place, stop at the little parking lot at the bridge across the Mendenhall river on the back loop road, walk in the trail there for River and glacier shots.From the valley head out the road by car,there is only one road so it is easy to find,nice shoots at tee harbor, the shrine of Saint Teresa,Amalga harbor,eagle river beach.Past eagle river when the road runs along the high bluffs stop and see if the whales are around.The road ends at echo cove on burners bay.Drive slow you will see greats shots all along the way.most places along this road you can park the car set up a 8x10 and get a great picture.This road from down town Juneau is about 50 miles long.Try to get a Juneau trail guide.Also there are helicopter tours of the Juneau ice field.Expensive but worth the money.This just touches on the subject.I shot a 100 sheets of 8x10 this winter and never was more than 50 feet from the car.Have a nice trip-Alan

h2oman
19-Apr-2011, 20:35
Thanks for the great input, folks.