PDA

View Full Version : French Euryscope?

cdholden
17-Apr-2011, 13:05
Every Euryscope I've ever seen has the "Voigtlander" name somewhere on the lens. Not this one!
The side says "Euryscope Supérieur" in block letters. That's it. Nothing else but the iris scale. Scale goes from 6-32. I would guess this to be a Series IV Voigtlander, if it is indeed one. I'm just wondering... did they made lenses with blank barrels for others to etch like so many other manufacturers or is this a copy by someone else? I don't have another Euryscope from this era to compare with.
Any thoughts?

Chris

CCHarrison
17-Apr-2011, 14:26
http://cgi.ebay.fr/OBJECTIF-ANCIEN-LAITON-EURYSCOPE-/160522540324

cdholden
17-Apr-2011, 14:35
That's the one... and not a bad price if it lives up to the expectation.
If I can get time later in the week, I'll put it in the iris clamp and see how it looks on the ground glass. Maybe some film if I'm around anything interesting.

Steven Tribe
18-Apr-2011, 02:51
In VM there is quite a long section which "warns against" other makers who used the Euryscope trademark on their objectives. This one looks like a genuine fast RR, though. I don't think Voigtländer ever had any licensing agreements - rather the other way around as they they were quick to get hold of TT&H's Cooke triplet design and the Zeiss anstigmatics (protars) when they were caught with their trousers down in the 1890's.

eddie
18-Apr-2011, 02:56
http://cgi.ebay.fr/OBJECTIF-ANCIEN-LAITON-EURYSCOPE-/160522540324

what is with all the french sellers? they usually only have one photo and very little description.....i have returned so many lenses to french sellers that i stopped buying from there......

Andrew Plume
18-Apr-2011, 10:09
what is with all the french sellers? they usually only have one photo and very little description.....i have returned so many lenses to french sellers that i stopped buying from there......

dead right Eddie - they're not big in posting photos and a lot of the sellers do not have paypal accounts either, meaning that it's a bank transfer (with fees) or a personal cheque

andrew

Dan Fromm
18-Apr-2011, 10:50
Um, Andrew, they're often amenable to payment by PayPal, especially after they understand the cost of bank transfers from the US. Ask before bidding, of course. Asking is cheap.

Andrew Plume
18-Apr-2011, 13:28
Um, Andrew, they're often amenable to payment by PayPal, especially after they understand the cost of bank transfers from the US. Ask before bidding, of course. Asking is cheap.

thanks Dan, very grateful

andrew

luphot
20-Apr-2011, 01:56
Hello,
Your lens is from a french "manufacture d'optiques de précision pour la photographie et la science" called "A.F.S.A" witch made lenses under his own name or for camera makers from 1900 to 1925.
They made a serie VIII- Euryscope f:6 wide angle anastigmat
FL/coverage avaible were 220mm/13x18cm; 290mm/18x24cm; 320mm/21x27cm; 400mm/24x30cm