PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss APO-Tessar 450mm f9 Lens

uphereinmytree
17-Apr-2011, 06:59
I have found little about this lens 'Carl Zeiss APO-Tessar 450mm f9 Lens in a #5 shutter' except for general tessar info. Any one have first hand knowledge?

Dan Fromm
17-Apr-2011, 08:09
I have found little about this lens 'Carl Zeiss APO-Tessar 450mm f9 Lens in a #5 shutter' except for general tessar info.

Is that so?

Try this: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22apo-tessar%22+-ebay+-auction+-ending+-paypal+-cinor&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

alan-salsman
21-Apr-2011, 05:20
I own one.Single coated in a #5 IX.It was made in 1929 or 1930,so It think it was coated and mounter in a shutter later in its life. In my not necessary expert opinion,it is a totally different animal than a tessar. Much better I think,I was talking to a man who is in fact a expert and he told me that while it is the same formula as a regular Tessar The use of special glass made the lens more highly corrected,bringing the primary colors into closer focus thus the APO.The lens is very nice for black and white recording a very broad gray scale with smooth transitions..I expect to get a lot of use out of mine. they don,t seem to be very expensive,Better get one while they are cheep. Alan

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2011, 06:34
Carl Zeiss was the West German lens manufacturer. Jena after the name makes it the East German lens manufacturer. Have you looked under Zeiss Jena rather then Carl Zeiss?

Louis Pacilla
21-Apr-2011, 08:18
Carl Zeiss was the West German lens manufacturer. Jena after the name makes it the East German lens manufacturer. Have you looked under Zeiss Jena rather then Carl Zeiss?

That's funny because I have several "Carl Zeiss Jena" that have serial #'s that date them ( 1907-1912-1925) to before Germany broke up into East/West .

Bob, If what you say is true(I really can't say for sure) I wonder why they all seem to be marked Carl Zeiss Jena?

This is from Camerapedia

The company was founded in Jena in 1856 and called Carl Zeiss Jena. It produced microscopes and the refractometer, an optical instrument to measure the index of refraction of optical glass, developed by Carl Zeiss' partner Ernst Abbe. After Carl Zeiss' death in 1888 Abbe founded the Zeiss Foundation and built up its photographic optics branch and reduced daily working time of the company's employees to 8 hours

After World War II, Jena being in the Eastern part of Germany, the company split in two. One part was recreated in West Germany and based in Oberkochen, and kept within the Zeiss Foundation. The other part remained in Jena, but soon lost the right to use the traditional names, like the brand name Zeiss and the related famous lens names. In the Western countries it was known as aus Jena (means from Jena), and used obvious abbreviations, or other names reminding the past (for ex. T for Tessar, S for Sonnar). In the countries of the Eastern block, they continued to use the full names.

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2011, 09:15
[QUOTE=Louis Pacilla;716021]That's funny because I have several "Carl Zeiss Jena" that have serial #'s that date them ( 1907-1912-1925) to before Germany broke up into East/West .

Bob, If what you say is true(I really can't say for sure) I wonder why they all seem to be marked Carl Zeiss Jena?
Louis, There was no East Germany prior to the end of WW II. And there is no West or East Germany since reunification. But there was between the end of WW II and reunification.