PDA

View Full Version : Lens board: Copal 3 versus Copal 3s

Lachlan 717
17-Apr-2011, 00:04
Sorry if this has been covered; however, the search tool here doesn't recognise the term "3s" (it deems it too short), so I couldn't find any reference to this.

So, quick question:

Do you mount Copal 3s shutters in the standard Copal 3 lens board? There is only 0.5mm difference in diameter, so I assume that you do.

Again, my apologies for a basic question (please feel free to list this in this thread! (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=74681)!!!!)

Leigh
17-Apr-2011, 01:34
If you search for "Copal 3s" (without the quotes) you get 5266 hits.

If you search for "Copal 3s hole" (without the quotes) you get 544 hits.

Learning to use the search function is important.

- Leigh

Lachlan 717
17-Apr-2011, 04:25
If you search for "Copal 3s" (without the quotes) you get 5266 hits.

If you search for "Copal 3s hole" (without the quotes) you get 544 hits.

- Leigh

Trouble is, the search engine still doesn't recognise 2 digit inputs. So, your 544 hits relate to Copal and hole, not to 3s.

So, you're right, learning to use the search function is important.

Miguel Curbelo
17-Apr-2011, 04:41
Courtesy is as well.

BrianShaw
17-Apr-2011, 06:27
The difference is small and insignificant. I googled the Grimes site to verify that 3s hole is 34.1mm vs 35 for Copal 3 hole. That is less than 1 mm! My Copal 3S shutter dropped right into a Copal 3 hole and has never complained abit the difference.

ic-racer
17-Apr-2011, 06:32
Do you have a 65mm spacer with the retaining ring?

Oren Grad
17-Apr-2011, 09:35
Do you mount Copal 3s shutters in the standard Copal 3 lens board? There is only 0.5mm difference in diameter, so I assume that you do.

Depends how comfortable you are shimming and wedging things to keep them from moving around in a space that's slightly too large. I've tried putting a lens in Copal 3s into a board drilled for #3. For my taste the fit was too loose for comfort, and the lens/shutter combination was too heavy and expensive for me to want to take the risk of kludging it. I ended up having SK Grimes drill a board specifically for a 3s so that I could mount the lens securely as intended and not worry about it.