PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up E6 processing or duff darkslide?

Riverman
16-Apr-2011, 19:30
Last weekend I shot four sheets of Provia 100 in 5x7. The film has come back from the lab with some weird banding at the bottom left of the frame. See attached pictures. I am trying to work out whether this is a problem with the film, its development or the darkslide.

I loaded the film in a changing tent, using brand new Fidelity 5x7 Darkslides recently purchased from Badger. Dodge Chrome in Silver Spring, MD processed the film. I've used them a lot for 4x5 E6 in the past although this is the first time I've processed 5x7 E6 with them.

The strange banding you can see on this sheet also appear the other 3 sheets in a similar position. On one of the four sheets the band has a sharper edge to it than you see in this sheet.

What is your verdict? Processing error or a problem with the film or darkslide?

Daniel Stone
16-Apr-2011, 19:42
looks like a light leak in your bellows, you might want to check them with a flashlight lighting from the inside to find out where it is.

-Dan

Riverman
16-Apr-2011, 19:50
looks like a light leak in your bellows, you might want to check them with a flashlight lighting from the inside to find out where it is.

-Dan

Cheers Dan. I'll check the bellows but I don't think it's that. The day before I shot the above image I shot several sheets of C41 with the same lens/camera and sent my C41 to the same lab at the same time. My C41 came back from the lab perfectly developed. The marks are only the E6 sheets.

Riverman
16-Apr-2011, 20:04
I think I've found my problem: I think that the darkslide was not pushed all the way in behind the ground glass and that a small light leak was the result. I'll have to shoot a couple more sheets to check but I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is.

Daniel Stone
16-Apr-2011, 20:20
you might also want to check the felt light trap(if there is one) on the top and bottom(long edges) of your spring back. If its degraded, its probably best to replace it, or you might risk ruining more film and irreplaceable shots :(.

just another idea...

-Dan