PDA

View Full Version : convertible lenses

madmax12
16-Apr-2011, 06:11
Are this a good lenses to have for a 4x5. I am currently bidding on one . For shame . But I would like another lenses for my camera . It is Schneider 150 56 to 265 f12 lenses . Any help. should I continue to bid :rolleyes: . The bidding ends today.

E. von Hoegh
16-Apr-2011, 07:20
It depends on what the price is. I've been using the same lens, and am quite happy with it. In the 150 configuration, it is a nice sharp lens with plenty of coverage for 4x5, albeit single coated. Use a lens shade and it will be about like a multicoated lens without the shade. The 265 conversion is less sharp, and should be stopped down to get the best results. 265 also makes a nice portrait lens. All in all a fine lens, though the shutter might need a CLA due to age.

lenser
16-Apr-2011, 07:46
Another very good one is the Ilex Acuton 215mm (often rebranded as Calumet) which is also a convertible and is quite sharp in both ranges. It usually goes for a steal when it shows up on ebay. I bought mine for well under $100.00.

madmax12
16-Apr-2011, 14:45
thank you all it sold for 185.00 I decided to pass but I am still prowling

rdenney
16-Apr-2011, 15:08
I paid $160 for a 180mm Symmar Convertible and that's about the going rate. It's a fine modern plasmat though newer models are marginally better. With the front cell removed, it is a decent enough triplet, but like any triplet, it must be stopped way down--think f/32 or 45. And because the aperture is in front of the glass, the focus will shift as you stop down, so you should check it at taking aperture. Read: Nice to have for when only a long lens will do, but best when you either don't need critical sharpness (portraiture comes to mind) or when you have bright sun.

Rick "who would get a regular long lens if needed routinely" Denney