PDA

View Full Version : Oops, loaded Inkjet paper backwards

tom thomas
15-Apr-2011, 13:24
I accidentally loaded my Epson Inkjet printer paper with print side down. I'd set the program to print to high quality paper, hi-res and got this result on Epson paper. Obviously the back of the paper won't absorb the ink correctly.

The first photo is what I'd intended to print, the second is what it looks like printing on the back of the photo paper. I like the effect but it sure took a long time to dry, like a week. The smudges in the lower left corner are my fingerprints from picking it up when it was wet.

Should I keep printing on the back for extreme watercolor effect?
Tom

Jim Galli
15-Apr-2011, 13:47
Might be fun to try with something easily identified when very obscured. Color palette would be an important consideration in telling a story this way. You'd want to stay away from things that blend to make a mud puddle.

darr
15-Apr-2011, 14:28
You could create a similar effect with filters in and outside of PS. It might make it quicker on paper drying. :)

Gem Singer
15-Apr-2011, 14:57
Printing on the wrong side seems like a waste of expensive ink to me.

photobymike
15-Apr-2011, 15:20
it really messes up the printer head also the paper rollers it was a big mess. Been there and done that

Jim Jones
15-Apr-2011, 15:21
It may also lack the permanence of properly printed Epson material. This could be important if the OP's mishap becomes the latest fad.

Greg Lockrey
15-Apr-2011, 15:35
Printing on the wrong side seems like a waste of expensive ink to me.

Yeah.... or you can start a whole new ""art movement" :rolleyes:

Ron McElroy
15-Apr-2011, 17:42
I did that about 4 hours ago using a duplexing system. I didn't notice I used the wrong paper until the printed back started to come out of the printer. Looks like your image came out better than the one I made.

Brian Ellis
15-Apr-2011, 20:13
Use Moab Entrada by Legion - Natural or Bright White. They're very nice papers if you like matte papers and there is no wrong side, you can print on either side. Which not only eliminates the risk of printing on the wrong side, it also saves on paper if you make proofs. I've tried many other papers - matte, lustre, glossy, Hahnemuhle, Epson, Harman, Crane - and I keep coming back to Moab Entrada.

tom thomas
16-Apr-2011, 10:23
thanx guys, Gem singer, I do agree with you. It was a waste of ink but I kinda liked the result, ONCE! I'll try not to do it again. I just got back from Carrefoure (super Target kinda store) in Beaucaire where I paid Euro 46.50 for the 4-cartridge set of ink for this Epson SX-415 All-In-One. That's about $70 at least so I won't waste anymore if I can help it.

Actually I did waste some of the new ink. My wife had wanted to print a bank statement in the meantime so she loaded A4 paper instead. I didn't pay attention so now have a high quality blot of ink on thin letter paper.

I'd brought a full set of Epson NX415 ink with me and found out that it isn't compatible with the SX-415. Grrr. Gotta have different ink in Europe I guess. The US version is Series 69, the French one is Series 71. Printer refuses to recognize the 69 series.

Pawlowski6132
16-Apr-2011, 12:11
It looks like an obvious mistake.

John Bowen
16-Apr-2011, 13:03
Is that anything like printing the negative emulsion side up?

sultanofcognac
18-Apr-2011, 13:07
Is that a photo of Oklahoma? I would swear it's here in France :eek:

tom thomas
21-Apr-2011, 10:05
Sultan, you're right. Its taken from the balcony of my town house in Domazan, dans le Gard. I was capturing the gnarly tree shapes. Geez, the French love to torture their trees.
tom