PDA

View Full Version : Heads up: Stolen Ebony 45SU

Lars Daniel
14-Apr-2011, 23:23
My beautiful Ebony 45SU has just been stolen from my studio in Copenhagen, Denmark.
It was mounted with a 210mm F5.6, FUJINON-W CM and a big Tamrac backback with 150mm f5.6 Schneider APO-symmar and 90mm F5.6m SUPER ANGULON was also stolen. All lenses were mounted with Lee filterholder adapters. In the backpack was also a Paramo darkcloth, Fuji PA-45 pola back and Horseman 6x12 back. Also a smaller Kata bag with about 11 doublesided film holders were stolen.

The camera has several special things about it. Most easily recognizable: On the front there is the little "45SU" badge mounted with two screws. The lower left corner of this badge is broken off below the screw.

The total loss of the break-in in my studio was about 39.000 usd, but the police does not have enough ressources to be able to bother with it :confused: .

Steve Barber
15-Apr-2011, 01:00
What a bummer.

Too bad you did not have a pistol and a rifle or two laying around to be stolen along with your camera equipment. I bet that would have brought out the reserves to help find your stuff.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 01:47
Violent crimes against persons get priority over property loss in Denmark.
The only place they could sell this in Denmark is Fotographica in Skindergade - so give them a list of everything asap.
If it is our friends from the former central/eastern block, the only way they can dispose of the items is through e**y. Country of listing could be transit/fencers countries like Sweden, Germany and Poland.

Struan Gray
15-Apr-2011, 05:02
It's probably worth keeping an eye on blocket.se for a while. The only Swedish shop which still has a liquid used LF section is ProCenter in Stockholm, so if you're without insurance or other options you could send them a heads up too. There is also a trickle of LF kit on the classifieds section of fotosidan.se - they have a register of stolen goods so it may help to join up and list your kit there.

Hope you're insured. Hope nothing else of value went with the gear.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2011, 06:39
The list of stolen items at fotosidan.se is not nice reading for anyone in the Copenhagen/Malmų area as there are lots of recent activities with break-ins and transport (train) thefts.

Ari
15-Apr-2011, 19:53
Suuuuuucks.
I had a break-in about ten years ago; went out to walk the dog, came back 20min later, everything was gone, easily $20,000 of stuff.
I spent three days faxing every pawn shop in town; on day four, one of them called saying somebody had sold them my lighting equipment, and would return with the Hasselblad and Contax gear.
Sure enough, when the guy returned with the cameras, the police were waiting for him.
I got all my stuff back, but thanks to provincial laws (at the time), I had to buy it back from the pawn shop.
Don't give up hope.
Good luck!

Daniel Stone
15-Apr-2011, 22:04
thank God for gun safes, they're not just for firearms ;).

not to put this matter lightly, I'm not trying to. I really hope you get your stuff back.

but the cheapest insurance IMO is a large gun safe, securely BOLTED to the floor(preferably 8" bolts into concrete)

did you have serial #"s for everything?

-Dan

Shadowtracker
15-Apr-2011, 22:35
Dan is right about bolting the thing to the floor, and wall if you can - they will walk out with the safe if at all possible, and it is possible. Due to another member having some equipment stolen, I started an Excel file of all my equipment for a couple reasons. It gives me a comprehensive list of what I have, what I paid for it, who I bought it from, and what the serial numbers are. It also allows me to have a list to give to the insurance company in order to insure the equipment, and, it gives me a file I can fax, email, send as an attachment, etc, to pawn shops or cops if anything does happen.

I really hope they catch the guilty people here, and that you get your stuff back safely. One thing I remember from an interview with a reformed thief - the easiest crimes for them to make, are ones where people don't lock their doors - sad, I know, but true.

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Apr-2011, 20:04
Here is another vote for a gun safe. I have mine bolted to the concrete slab in a closet, so no one knows it is even there unless the sliding door is open. I don't have a lot of expensive LF stuff, but I do keep my expensive LF lenses in the safe. Most of the space is taken up with my 35mm and MF gear. I also have other important stuff in this safe, it is a one hour fire rated safe, (makes it that much heavier. ) It is probably the best $1500 I ever spent.

m

Lars Daniel
16-Apr-2011, 23:36
Update: The serial number of the Ebony: 114182.

mortensen
20-Apr-2011, 14:04
really sad to hear, Lars. I got my woodie stolen in december in India. But my total loss was only around $2500. I really hope that none of your works was stolen too.

Ole Tjugen
20-Apr-2011, 14:08
Lars, post this over on http://www.elfpa.org/forum/ too. And http://apug.org .